• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Inherited Some Comics from 1940's
5 5

183 posts in this topic

Hello!  I have recently inherited some pretty cool comics. I am just learning about the CGC and about comic grading, slabbing, etc. I think I want to have them professionally graded and slabbed. I understand the process for the most part. I think I want to sell. I am nervous send them in the mail. I understand there are CGC authorized peoople in my area. Should I find a trusted CGC person to do this sending off for me, or should I give this a go myself? I also understand I could meet a CGC person at a comic con, but I think this only saves me shipping costs? What are your thoughts, and advise?  

Comic 1.jpg

Comic 2.jpg

Comic 3.jpg

Comic 4.jpg

Comic 5.jpg

Comic 6.jpg

Comic 7.jpg

Edited by NomadCow13
Whole collection

I would find someone authorized to deal with CGC if I were you. Shipping books safely is an art,,,and if you are in possession of rare or valuable books,,,you will want to pack them safely and securely. You will find many good folks here on the boards willing to help. Where are you located may I ask?

Congrats on the inheritance and Welcome to the Boards!

I'd recommend that you review this thread about packaging books for shipping to anyone (including CGC):

Just like anything in life, some third party submitters are more reliable than others. Dropping books off at a convention that has a CGC rep will always be the easiest (if you don't mind standing in line). Make sure you have all the info to fill out the required forms no matter which option you choose. You can review that info here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/index.aspx

And above all - have patience! Grading takes time as this is sort of the peak of the season.

If you post some details/pics of the books, others may offer better guidance on individual issues that you have.

Congrats again!

-bc

Thank you bc, I did find that link prior to posting my question. It is very well described and made me feel I could do the shipping myself. Still scary though. pemart1966 I took an initial look at the comics using sites, and ebay and low end a few are selling for a couple hundred bucks. High end one sold for $50,000 eight years ago. Not sure I'm ready to touch them more or to reveal their names yet. Suggestions?

Just now, NomadCow13 said:

Thank you bc, I did find that link prior to posting my question. It is very well described and made me feel I could do the shipping myself. Still scary though. pemart1966 I took an initial look at the comics using sites, and ebay and low end a few are selling for a couple hundred bucks. High end one sold for $50,000 eight years ago. Not sure I'm ready to touch them more or to reveal their names yet. Suggestions?

Gently lay them flat on a table top and post a pic or two of the covers, only way we can help ya further. Even a semi-blurry phone pic would help offer better guidance. Worst thing that will happen is that people will make offers through Private Messages (PMs) and you can easily ignore those until you have a better plan.

Ok, I will take some pics tomorrow. I have to go now to a family get together. Stay tuned. Thank you.

1 hour ago, NomadCow13 said:

If you're planning to send them to get slabbed you'll need to handle them sooner or later.  

You'll find that people will take you seriously and offer you sage advice IF you show them proof that you actually have something as opposed to just speaking in generalities and having people think that you're a time waster.

bc has some good advice - ignore any pms until you gather the info that you feel you need.

3 hours ago, NomadCow13 said:

Hello!  I have recently inherited some pretty cool comics. I am just learning about the CGC and about comic grading, slabbing, etc. I think I want to have them professionally graded and slabbed. I understand the process for the most part. I think I want to sell. I am nervous send them in the mail. I understand there are CGC authorized peoople in my area. Should I find a trusted CGC person to do this sending off for me, or should I give this a go myself? I also understand I could meet a CGC person at a comic con, but I think this only saves me shipping costs? What are your thoughts, and advise?  

Couple comments, the CGC 'authorized' people you reference are not CGC employees, they simply have CGC accounts. If you use them you will be at their mercy for status. CGC themselves will not be able to help you with status. The integrity of some of these authorized people have been known to come into question. I suggest you get an account and submit yourself. You mention you are returning to China on August 16. Please realize your submissions will most likely not be completed by then.

Great points Bomber-Bob. If I send to CGC now I will have them sent to my parent's house in USA. So I understand not all CGC authorized deals are the same, but don't they have to have a record of competency in order to keep their CGC authorized deal? 

19 hours ago, NomadCow13 said:

Comic 1.jpg

Comic 2.jpg

:headbang: WOW - now that is an inheritance! 

These appear to be in very nice shape and many look like they retained their original gloss and colors which increases the value. Several of those are WWII themed - which is sorta hot right now.

You've definitely got some valuable books in these pics alone - would love to see the other 28!

Totally agree with @jaybuck43 - open your own CGC account (pronto) and take a trip to the slab factory in Sarasota. There is not enough insurance options available to safely ship these to CGC using any carrier (FedEX, UPS, etc.).

Great job and a big congratulations!

-bc

Wow, those are fantastic! :applause:

Although this is probably a good problem to have, just be prepared that grading some of these may cost several thousand dollars.  For walkthrough service, the cost per book is: 3% FMV ($150 Min, $5,000 Max). 

I guess a question for anyone else...so it looks like the max "declared" value book you can have graded via shipping is $3000?  Anything over would require a walkthrough?  I haven't come close to having that problem yet...

1 hour ago, NomadCow13 said:

Great points Bomber-Bob. If I send to CGC now I will have them sent to my parent's house in USA. So I understand not all CGC authorized deals are the same, but don't they have to have a record of competency in order to keep their CGC authorized deal? 

One would think so but it may be CGC is not aware of issues. Example, you drop off your books with the CGC authorized dealer. As they often do, they will sit on your submission, waiting to batch up a lot more submissions before they send it to CGC. They save on shipping in bulk. So you are waiting for months and your submission has not even reached CGC. There is a thread about a dealer in Canada that saw submissions taking up to a year. Now all of this would be transparent to CGC. Anyway, IMO, it's best to submit yourself. Faster and safer !

6 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Another option would be to contact Metropolis Comics/ComicConnect.com or Heritage Auctions and have them facilitate the slabbing and let them auction off the books.

I agree. I would seriously advise considering this option. Just call them up. With this collection, they may come to you.