• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Inherited Some Comics from 1940's
5 5

183 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Another option would be to contact Metropolis Comics/ComicConnect.com or Heritage Auctions and have them facilitate the slabbing and let them auction off the books.

This is a great idea! 

As Bob & rsouxlja7 suggested - this is your "easiest" option since you mentioned in the original post that you are looking to sell anyways. 

F-L-Y to Sarasota!!!!!  Take Pep #22 with you along other books.

Stay there for one week until you get the slabbed book (Pep #22) then fly home with the precious copy. Leave the rest at CGC for few weeks. All books will be shipped to you.

Added:

If you decided to fly to Sarasota, you should bring them. Make sure all books are bagged and boarded properly. Don't use Mylar bags that CGC is not recommending. Put them in your hard and solid briefcase with locks.

Recommended to have them slabbed:
Pep Comics - stay in Florida until the book is ready to be picked up then bring it home with you.

The rest will be shipped to you:
Hit Comics
Exciting Comics
Jungle Comics
Wings Comics
Planet Comics
Captain Battle
Flash Comics
Sensation Comics
Target Comics (superhero on the cover only - Vol #2 #12 - only 4 on CGC census)
Fighting Yank
Black Hood Top -Notch #25 (6 on CGC census)

Maybe slabbing them:
Blue Beetle (#17 - only 2 on CGC census - 1 restored book)
Blue Bolt (Vol 2 #9 - only 3 on CGC census)
Military Comics #7 (6 on CGC census)

Maybe three Classic Illustrated copies unless they are first edition - NO HRNs (Highest Reorder Number). Make sure all of them are Fine 6.0 or better. Below that grade, sell them as raw copies.

Talk with the experts like Comicconnect, Heritage or Comiclink.

Edited by JollyComics

On 7/9/2018 at 1:44 PM, NomadCow13 said:

Great points Bomber-Bob. If I send to CGC now I will have them sent to my parent's house in USA. So I understand not all CGC authorized deals are the same, but don't they have to have a record of competency in order to keep their CGC authorized deal? 

Do not slab them until you are ready to sell.  When the time comes, call Comic Connect or Heritage, and they will send them to CGC for you to be pressed and certified.  They probably won't even charge you.  Just keep them as they are until you decide to sell, then call them.

Pep 22 has done well in the past at Comic Connect so given the history I'd probably go through them.  You can reach out to one of the owners Vincent Zurzolo.

If you need any help you can always direct message me.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

That Pep could definitely be a 100,000.00+ book. WOW! Be very careful, and I would not ship anything till you learn more.

A couple of options:

As stated call Comic connect or

Call heritage

Call comic Link

PM A couple of  board guys you can really trust:

Bob Storms , or gator and there are a couple others as well. Good luck.

2 minutes ago, paul747 said:

That Pep could definitely be a 100,000.00+ book. WOW! Be very careful, and I would not ship anything till you learn more.

A couple of options:

As stated call Comic connect or

Call heritage

Call comic Link

PM A couple of  board guys you can really trust:

Bob Storms , or gator and there are a couple others as well. Good luck.

+1 except the "or," -- call them all; invest the time. Think of it like selling your primary residence; you probably wouldn't hire the first real estate agent you meet. Compare terms, gain knowledge, establish a comfort level.

No one is really sure who's they are. My grandmother passed and they were either her dad's or from an uncle. Most look never read if that's what you are wondering. They are just old and have been sitting for years.

1 hour ago, NomadCow13 said:

No one is really sure who's they are. My grandmother passed and they were either her dad's or from an uncle. Most look never read if that's what you are wondering. They are just old and have been sitting for years.

I always wished my grandfather bought 1930's/1940's comic books instead of National Geographic and Popular Mechanic's magazines. I spent hours and hours reading them at my grandparents' house when I was a young boy.  I missed the smell of old books.

You are very fortunate!  Pep Comics #22 is the biggest one in your possession. I would estimate them about $68K-$75K - Pep Comics #22 is $62,500 worth alone (based on VG/FN 5.0 according to Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide). I am very sure it would fetch about $100K or more if you put them on auction. I recommended you to have them graded (Superheroes only).

Edited by JollyComics

Who has an estimated value of what this 40 book collection is worth? Let's say the unauthorized grade of the entire collection is a 5. 

Looks like the big book is the Pep Comics #22. In 2010, a 5.0 went for $50K, in 2015 a 6.5 went for $135K. In September 2017 an 8.0 went for $250K. That is a HOT book NOW, perfect time to bring it to a big auction house like Heritage or Comic Connect.

Several of the rest are $1K+ books, again, solely based on the condition. The funny animal titles and Classics, maybe $50-$100 each..

If there is any restoration, tape, stains on the back cover, centerfolds missing, etc., then the value drops considerably.

REALLY tough to estimate a value by just cover shots as the grade is based on the quality of the entire book.

But to answer you're question - solely depends on that Pep 22, a low end estimate for the entire lot is $50K, with an upper limit that could exceed $150K. All just my opinion, others may help tighten the range. Still an incredibly cool inheritance!

-bc

PS - there is a whole forum here called "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade" that demonstrates the types of pics and descriptions needed to get a better range. I'm sure that Pep 22 would get a LOT of replies there :)

Edited by bc

Does anyone know someone who can take this collection off of my hands for a fair price? I'm considering finding a buyer as is without me going through all of the work to get top dollar. I can meet in Portland or Seattle this week. I can meet in Phoenix next week. Or possibly meet at the San Diego Comic Con. Or should I just bring it Heritage or Comic Connect? I need to get these in front of someone who can pay the value and is excited to have these comics.

15 minutes ago, NomadCow13 said:

Does anyone know someone who can take this collection off of my hands for a fair price? I'm considering finding a buyer as is without me going through all of the work to get top dollar. I can meet in Portland or Seattle this week. I can meet in Phoenix next week. Or possibly meet at the San Diego Comic Con. Or should I just bring it Heritage or Comic Connect? I need to get these in front of someone who can pay the value and is excited to have these comics.

Establishing fair value for this collection isn't easy as some of these books rarely show up for sale.  Since you're not an expert in this hobby I'd suggest you use an auction site.  Let them send the books in for grading and let them do all the work to promote the auction.  You may also realize very high prices if you get a bidding war on some of your books.   

Heritage, Comiclink and Comiconnect are your best choices.  Heritage would be my first choice as they do a great job promoting their auctions and get a lot of eyeballs but be aware they charge the highest consignment rates.  I'd contact all three and ask what their consignment rates are and if they are willing to lower the rates to sell your inheritance.  

17 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Establishing fair value for this collection isn't easy as some of these books rarely show up for sale.  Since you're not an expert in this hobby I'd suggest you use an auction site.  Let them send the books in for grading and let them do all the work to promote the auction.  You may also realize very high prices if you get a bidding war on some of your books.   

Heritage, Comiclink and Comiconnect are your best choices.  Heritage would be my first choice as they do a great job promoting their auctions and get a lot of eyeballs but be aware they charge the highest consignment rates.  I'd contact all three and ask what their consignment rates are and if they are willing to lower the rates to sell your inheritance.  

I recommended http://pristinecomics.com/

He will fly and buy your books. That guy who bought Action Comics #1 in 7 figures privately and sold it for $3.2 millions.

Agree with @thehumantorch

Contact Heritage Auctions and/or ComicConnect (who is affiliated with Metropolis Comics) as they do a great job of promoting to an international audience and have a very solid reputation for moving high-value books. Tell them you want to consign or sell the books outright. If that Pep 22 is half as nice as the picture, they will likely come to you in any of the locations that you mentioned in fairly short order. Personally, I'd spend the ten minutes it takes to contact them both and see who eventually has the best proposal. 

As you can see from the sale prices I supplied earlier, a difference of 1 grade point for that book is some serious cash; possibly several tens of thousands of dollars. Get a few (or several) offers, don't jump on the first one.

Good luck - most of us can only dream of finding books like that ! 

-bc

49 minutes ago, bc said:

Agree with @thehumantorch

Contact Heritage Auctions and/or ComicConnect (who is affiliated with Metropolis Comics) as they do a great job of promoting to an international audience and have a very solid reputation for moving high-value books. Tell them you want to consign or sell the books outright. If that Pep 22 is half as nice as the picture, they will likely come to you in any of the locations that you mentioned in fairly short order. Personally, I'd spend the ten minutes it takes to contact them both and see who eventually has the best proposal. 

As you can see from the sale prices I supplied earlier, a difference of 1 grade point for that book is some serious cash; possibly several tens of thousands of dollars. Get a few (or several) offers, don't jump on the first one.

Good luck - most of us can only dream of finding books like that ! 

-bc

Anyone recommend ComicLink?

2 hours ago, NomadCow13 said:

Anyone recommend ComicLink?

ComicLink & Comic Connect would be my first and second choices. If you really just want to sell,  get the books to one those two auction houses and let them take care of everything.  Not just the auction, but deciding what books should be professionally graded and encapsulated (CGC) and what books going to CGC should be cleaned and pressed before graded. And have them arrange for all of that along with doing the auction.  They would cover the cost of such upfront and deduct the costs of pressing/grading from your payment(s). 

If you think you probably want to sell this is also the best way - emotionally- to go about it. I know half a dozen people personally that I recommended having their books sent directly from the grading company to an auction house. Rip off the bandage so to speak. Also saves postage costs. But they decided they'd like to see the books one last time and send them in for auction after they had a chance to see all cleaned up and slabbed. NOW they are all comic book collectors. Instead of a nice wad of cash in the bank they have an expensive hobby