• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Inherited Some Comics from 1940's
5 5

183 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, NomadCow13 said:

Does anyone know someone who can take this collection off of my hands for a fair price? I'm considering finding a buyer as is without me going through all of the work to get top dollar. I can meet in Portland or Seattle this week. I can meet in Phoenix next week. Or possibly meet at the San Diego Comic Con. Or should I just bring it Heritage or Comic Connect? I need to get these in front of someone who can pay the value and is excited to have these comics.

By now, I'm sure you have been contacted by numerous Boardies offering their 'help'. When one gets an inheritance, the tendency is to get quick some cash in hand, after all it is free money. If you contact one of the major auction houses referenced above, I think you will get a much better deal than making a private arrangement. BTW, the auction houses will usually offer a generous cash advance, usually about half of the valuation. So you can get some quick spending money and let them do the legwork and get some more cash later on. Their commission for all of this will be money well spent. Don't do anything rash. Call the auction houses before considering a private deal.  Good luck !

3 hours ago, NomadCow13 said:

Anyone recommend ComicLink?

No, you want to put this into Comic Connect or Heritage.  Not ComicLink.  ComicLink's doesn't have the kind of exposure that Comic Connect or Heritage has.  Just see which of the two venues you can get the best deal with the most exposure.  Some things to consider:

1) A zero percent commission (especially on the Pep #22), meaning they won't charge you anything to sell your books.  That is to say; they will use your books to promote the auction and other crappier books people consign.

2) Your books should be pressed and graded by CGC, and you want the associated fees paid for by the auction house.

3) The Pep #22 should be on the front page of their auction catalog.

4) You probably want to wait until next summer to put them into the auction.  These are when the record prices and mega event auctions take place.

5) Make sure they do not put any of the same books you are offering into their auctions.  For the Pep #22 get in writing that they will not auction off another one until after your sale summer 2019.

6) Request payment by check in full no later than thirty days after the event auction takes place.

I would go with Comic Connect.  You should reach out to Vincent Zurzolo or Steven Fishler.  They deal with most of the big Golden Age titles and have some clients with deep pockets.

45 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

No, you want to put this into Comic Connect or Heritage.  Not ComicLink.  ComicLink's doesn't have the kind of exposure that Comic Connect or Heritage has.  Just see which of the two venues you can get the best deal with the most exposure.  Some things to consider:

1) A zero percent commission (especially on the Pep #22), meaning they won't charge you anything to sell your books.  That is to say; they will use your books to promote the auction and other crappier books people consign.

2) Your books should be pressed and graded by CGC, and you want the associated fees paid for by the auction house.

3) The Pep #22 should be on the front page of their auction catalog.

4) You probably want to wait until next summer to put them into the auction.  These are when the record prices and mega event auctions take place.

5) Make sure they do not put any of the same books you are offering into their auctions.  For the Pep #22 get in writing that they will not auction off another one until after your sale summer 2019.

6) Request payment by check in full no later than thirty days after the event auction takes place.

I would go with Comic Connect.  You should reach out to Vincent Zurzolo or Steven Fishler.  They deal with most of the big Golden Age titles and have some clients with deep pockets.

Interesting, and I was feeling good about comiclink. Thank you Henry for giving me more to think about.

On 7/8/2018 at 4:08 PM, NomadCow13 said:

Hello!  I have recently inherited some pretty cool comics. I am just learning about the CGC and about comic grading, slabbing, etc. I think I want to have them professionally graded and slabbed. I understand the process for the most part. I think I want to sell. I am nervous send them in the mail. I understand there are CGC authorized peoople in my area. Should I find a trusted CGC person to do this sending off for me, or should I give this a go myself? I also understand I could meet a CGC person at a comic con, but I think this only saves me shipping costs? What are your thoughts, and advise?  

Comic 1.jpg

Comic 2.jpg

Comic 3.jpg

Comic 4.jpg

Comic 5.jpg

Comic 6.jpg

Comic 7.jpg

WTH is Millie the Model doing in that group?

9 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Do you get a commission from CC or something ? Why are you pushing CC so hard with your forceful 'NO' command. This is simply your opinion. Personally, CC would have to be the last game in town before I would choose them. Let the guy go with whomever he feels most comfortable with. This is his comic collection, not yours.

27 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Do you get a commission from CC or something ? Why are you pushing CC so hard with your forceful 'NO' command. This is simply your opinion. Personally, CC would have to be the last game in town before I would choose them. Let the guy go with whomever he feels most comfortable with. This is his comic collection, not yours.

Because Bombey this is serious business and a lot of money we are talking about.  The opposing party is looking to maximize their return.  No way I’d put books like this into Comiclink as they offer little to no promotion and there's no marketing going on.  No print catalogue, no press exposure, and a website that’s completely outdated.  Most importantly you want to look at who's getting the most money for Golden Age these days and it ain't Comiclink.  You want to put books of this caliber into Comic Connect or Heritage.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

1 minute ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Because Bombey this is serious business and a lot of money we are talking about.  The opposing party is looking to maximize their return.  No way I’d put books like this into Comiclink as they offer little to no promotion and there's no marketing going on.  No print catalogue, no press exposure, and a website that’s completely outdated.  You want to put books of this caliber into Comic Connect or Heritage.

You obviously have a beef with Comiclink. That's fine but again, this is simply your opinion. If you read your comments to the owner, you are giving him commands vs offering opinions. You are telling/commanding him what to do. Not cool.

15 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You obviously have a beef with Comiclink. That's fine but again, this is simply your opinion. If you read your comments to the owner, you are giving him commands vs offering opinions. You are telling/commanding him what to do. Not cool.

Blocked.

9 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Blocked.

Let's see if the Block function works for you. I think you are a bully that cannot take criticism. I also think your opinions stink. You were also recently bad mouthing Heritage in a recent thread.  Now you don't like Comiclink. I think you are Vincent Z. using a fake ID. Please unblock me so I can sleep tonight. :baiting: 

Congratulations! If I may, I would like to offer some friendly suggestions regarding this wonderful inheritance. 

1)  Are you a drinking man? Personally, some of the best decisions I've ever made involving large transactions (like buying or selling real estate, or these days, a sport utility vehicle) went much smoother after I sat down and had a couple of beers (or wine, whiskey, moonshine, take your pick). It gives you time to relax and mull it over...and you've certainly got some mulling to do. 

2) Do you have a current copy of the Overstreet Price Guide and/or Grading Guide? These books can be very helpful in determining what you have and how much it's worth. You can usually find them in the hobby section of most well-stocked book outlets---just make sure it's the current copy with current pricing. In this situation, it pays to educate yourself a bit before entering shark-infested waters. 

3) Since you're probably going to get most of these books certified (a wise decision, given the value and variety of this collection) you may as well cut out the middleman. Like any transaction, the more people you deal with, the more likely it is that things will become more confusing, and it always increases the possibility of things going south. I would call CGC and ask to speak to the operations manager, Harshen Patel. He's a busy guy, but with a collection like this I'm sure it would capture his interest. At the very least, he could give you an idea of the costs involved in slabbing these books. Since the Pep #22 is the undisputed champion of this collection, I'd concentrate on that one first. 

4) Are these books bagged and boarded? If not, you may want to think about investing in some good quality mylars and backing boards. This will at least keep the books in great shape until you decide what to do with them. Always keep them out of the sunlight and try to keep them in a cool, dark, climate controlled environment (No basements or attics, please).

5) I keep my most valuable books in a safe deposit box. It's an ideal spot for obvious reasons.

Again, congratulations! I hope you have a great summer, and good luck!  :whee:

40 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Let's see if the Block function works for you. I think you are a bully that cannot take criticism. I also think your opinions stink. You were also recently bad mouthing Heritage in a recent thread.  Now you don't like Comiclink. I think you are Vincent Z. using a fake ID. Please unblock me so I can sleep tonight. :baiting: 

lol

17 hours ago, NomadCow13 said:

Does anyone know someone who can take this collection off of my hands for a fair price? I'm considering finding a buyer as is without me going through all of the work to get top dollar. I can meet in Portland or Seattle this week. I can meet in Phoenix next week. Or possibly meet at the San Diego Comic Con. Or should I just bring it Heritage or Comic Connect? I need to get these in front of someone who can pay the value and is excited to have these comics.

Regardless of how you decide to dispose of the books, you will have to do some "work".  If you decide to sell them as a lot YOU will have to do the research to determine what you think is a "fair price".   Is $10,000 a fair offer?  What about $50,000?  What about $150,000?  Short answer is you cannot/will not know until you yourself have done the work to determine their value.

As you can see, your post has prompted a substantial number of comments, advice and noise.

Take the time to educate yourself as to the value of the books; the condition of the books; previous sales of the same books; the various companies out there that offer auction/selling services etc.  The more information you have, the better positioned you'll be when you make your decision.

The biggest mistake that you can make is to be lazy about the whole thing.  It could end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars or more.

1 hour ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Because Bombey this is serious business and a lot of money we are talking about.  The opposing party is looking to maximize their return.  No way I’d put books like this into Comiclink as they offer little to no promotion and there's no marketing going on.  No print catalogue, no press exposure, and a website that’s completely outdated.  Most importantly you want to look at who's getting the most money for Golden Age these days and it ain't Comiclink.  You want to put books of this caliber into Comic Connect or Heritage.

Nothing wrong with ComicLink in my opinion.  I would seriously consider them as an option if I was the OP. Also, you may want to look at Sparkle City if you are just looking the auction route.  Hakes is also making there mark again as of late.  My unsolicited advice:  take your time !  There is no hurry !  You are in the drivers seat with that Pep 22 and that includes the ability to sell directly to people and forgoing the auction route.  All depends on after you do your due diligence. Also, nothing wrong with hanging onto them as 2 years is sometime a lifetime in terms of the ROI in the comic world

11 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Regardless of how you decide to dispose of the books, you will have to do some "work".  If you decide to sell them as a lot YOU will have to do the research to determine what you think is a "fair price".   Is $10,000 a fair offer?  What about $50,000?  What about $150,000?  Short answer is you cannot/will not know until you yourself have done the work to determine their value.

As you can see, your post has prompted a substantial number of comments, advice and noise.

Take the time to educate yourself as to the value of the books; the condition of the books; previous sales of the same books; the various companies out there that offer auction/selling services etc.  The more information you have, the better positioned you'll be when you make your decision.

The biggest mistake that you can make is to be lazy about the whole thing.  It could end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars or more.

100% correct.  You need to do some due diligence else you will leave thousands on the table.  You will want to have the comics pressed, certified and sold through auction at the right time of year to maximize return. I would not rush this.  Most of the auction venues can give you a cash advance if needed.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER