• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Inherited Some Comics from 1940's
5 5

183 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

:roflmao:Donna was Comiclink the company who let you do time payments on that single page of Action #1 you spent $7500 on?

As long as I'm blocked.........  You bully, you mock. Do you have any positive personality traits ? 

Having attended the Heritage Auction of the Billy Wright Golden Age collection in New York several years ago, I know that Heritage does extremely well with top quality Golden Age material.  Mr. Wright's surviving family was thrilled with the auction results.  As none of them had knowledge about vintage comic book collecting, I'm certain they turned the raw books over to Heritage, and the auction house took care of the encapsulation, marketing, and sales.

Edited by namisgr

On 7/9/2018 at 6:29 PM, HENRYSPENCER said:

When the time comes, call Comic Connect or Heritage, and they will send them to CGC for you to be pressed and certified.  They probably won't even charge you.  Just keep them as they are until you decide to sell, then call them.

Pep 22 has done well in the past at Comic Connect so given the history I'd probably go through them.  You can reach out to one of the owners Vincent Zurzolo.

If you need any help you can always direct message me.

:whistle:  Sounds to me like somebody is pushing CC so he can get a finder's fee or perhaps extract a commission from the seller under the guise of helping him or perhaps both.

1 hour ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

:roflmao:Donna was Comiclink the company who let you do time payments on that single page of Action #1 you spent $7500 on?

WTF is your problem?  You know nothing about me.  FTR, I paid less than half that.  Also, there were no time payments with Comiclink.  I think I purchased that a decade ago.  Who are you a shill for again?  One more thing.  Leave me alone, or I will contact Arch and let him deal with you.

36 minutes ago, bc said:
Ed Jaster
Senior VP, Heritage Auctions
1-800-872-6467 Ext. 1288

That is from here:

I would also tell them that you discussed it and got their contact info from the CGC boards. Also as much as this Harry Spencer guy is pushing Comic connect, I would not let that steer you away from comic connect either. Vincent is a helpful decent dude. He for sure would get you in the right direction. My opinion , If it matters, keep doing your homework and don't ship a book until you fully understand it. Shipping can hurt you really bad if not done right. Again contact Gator or Bob storms on the boards they might help you feel more comfortable. Good luck and congrats !

Also... If you can protect those books asap and really watch tape or anything around them, even handling them wrong can cause dents and dings that will lower your grades.

Edited by paul747

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think you are Vincent Z. using a fake ID

hm

I think you may be on to something there.

I seem to remember Vinny rocking that Henry Spencer Eraserhead hairdo, for a short period, sometime around 2009.

10 minutes ago, paul747 said:

I would also tell them that you discussed it and got their contact info from the CGC boards. Also as much as this Harry Spencer guy is pushing Comic connect, I would not let that steer you away from comic connect either. Vincent is a helpful decent dude. He for sure would get you in the right direction. My opinion , If it matters, keep doing your homework and don't ship a book until you fully understand it. Shipping can hurt you really bad if not done right. Again contact Gator or Bob storms on the boards they might help you feel more comfortable. Good luck and congrats !

Also... If you can protect those books asap and really watch tape or anything around them, even handling them wrong can cause dents and dings that will lower your grades.

Or MrBedrock aka Richard Evans of Bedrock City Comic Books in Houston.  He's another mega-collector/dealer you could get advice from.  

16 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

WTF is your problem?  You know nothing about me.  FTR, I paid less than half that.  Also, there were no time payments with Comiclink.  I think I purchased that a decade ago.  Who are you a shill for again?  One more thing.  Leave me alone, or I will contact Arch and let him deal with you.

Mike, be careful or Spencer may Block You ! He's definitely a shill or looking to get a 'cut' from somewhere on this collection. He should change his ID to the Vulture.

31 minutes ago, paul747 said:

Also, I'd hold off on posting any more pictures of the Pep #22 until you decide what to do.  You want there to be some suspense when the books are finally taken to auction.

I said Comic Connect because just last year they just sold an 8.0 Pep #22 for a quarter of a million dollars.  From what I can tell based on the small photo the front cover is in need of a definite pressing, and it could easily grade in the Fine or above range (assuming it's complete and the back checks out ok).  You're talking six figures if you do your right due diligence. 

Another thing you may want to consider is how they plan on paying you out.  I'd add how you want to be paid out to the list of criteria I posted earlier. Depending on where you live you might want them to pay you out in a series of payments as opposed to one lump sum to maximize American tax laws in your favor.  Since this is your first rodeo and you're still here in the United States, it might be worth talking to a certified public accountant first before you decide to open up to anyone about selling it.

pep22.PNG

I'd make the call to Comic connect and comic link, but my guess is that I'd still ultimately go with Heritage.  But you should do your own research, and attempt to negotiate terms with each company, then compare for yourself.

One other thing - There have been suggestions of possibly getting a cash advance on future sales, as well as negotiating terms to have the ACTUAL auction in 2019, and neither of those seem like a bad idea.  Seeing as how this could be a significant amount of money, you might want to consider some tax planning as to how much income you want and in what periods, and/or what to do with that money and when (buy some tax free bonds? load up your retirement? make other investments? buy investment property, start a business?).  Additionally, if the comics are still in trust and you have not received them yet there may be a situation where the estate trustee can just ship it all to the auction house and they just cut you a check tax-free at the end, although that may involve more income taxes on the part of the estate.  But they (and you) would have to work out the math to see if that's worth it (or legal).  I'm just saying it might be worth talking to a lawyer, accountant, or financial planner about your plans too.

Concerning the Estate Trust issue just brought up...the OP now has a duty to disclose.

20 hours ago, NomadCow13 said:

Does anyone know someone who can take this collection off of my hands for a fair price? I'm considering finding a buyer as is without me going through all of the work to get top dollar. I can meet in Portland or Seattle this week. I can meet in Phoenix next week. Or possibly meet at the San Diego Comic Con. Or should I just bring it Heritage or Comic Connect? I need to get these in front of someone who can pay the value and is excited to have these comics.

Sinker.........

9 hours ago, namisgr said:

Having attended the Heritage Auction of the Billy Wright Golden Age collection in New York several years ago, I know that Heritage does extremely well with top quality Golden Age material.  Mr. Wright's surviving family was thrilled with the auction results.  As none of them had knowledge about vintage comic book collecting, I'm certain they turned the raw books over to Heritage, and the auction house took care of the encapsulation, marketing, and sales.

While I like comiclink and comic connect my preference for selling quality golden age books would be heritage.  They spend a lot of money to promote their auctions.  I’d play the auction sites against each other to negotiate a low auction fee with an eye on selling through heritage.  

Edited by thehumantorch

2 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Concerning the Estate Trust issue just brought up...the OP now has a duty to disclose.

So what you are saying is this was not a wise decision to go on the internet and discuss the fact that this was an inheritance. I have no knowledge about the topic but I immediately thought he should have been stealth about the inheritance part. He could have shown us the comics without disclosing how they were acquired.

12 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So what you are saying is this was not a wise decision to go on the internet and discuss the fact that this was an inheritance. I have no knowledge about the topic but I immediately thought he should have been stealth about the inheritance part. He could have shown us the comics without disclosing how they were acquired.

Might not have been the best decision. But, there is a hook, line, sinker element to the thread. The sinker usually shows up after much banter, and then.....I don't want to dEal with this. GOT ANY MONEY SO I CAN JUST GET OUT OF TOWN?... or similar. I was ok until I saw the sinker post.:cry:

4 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

The sinker usually shows up after much banter, and then.....I don't want to dEal with this. GOT ANY MONEY SO I CAN JUST GET OUT OF TOWN?... or similar. I was ok until I saw the sinker post.:cry:

That is definitely a Red Flag.