• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSH 13 book club
3 3

51 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SilverMAge said:

I have no idea. I didn't dream mine would go that high for a character first appearance with no powers, only appearing in 5 panels!

Some people believe the movie will be huge.

I'm not selling mine or anything ... but it's amazing to see nonetheless.  Congrats on an extremely successful sale.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

14 hours ago, SilverMAge said:

I have no idea. I didn't dream mine would go that high for a character first appearance with no powers, only appearing in 5 panels!

A 1st appearance is a 1st appearance. Disney/Marvel is pushing for Carol Danvers to be the next flagship character for the MCU. If they're successful with that, the character will transcend her movie (whether it's big or not) into culture icon status. Powers or not, I think it's Carol who's important here, which is why MSH 13 is the book to have.

16 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:
16 hours ago, SilverMAge said:

It finished the auction at $31,111

:whatthe:

Should I assume my 9.4 is worth about half that?

Not necessarily, but it looks like our assumption that we had seen the last of Boston Corbett is dead wrong, as it looks like he is back like a bat out of hell with another barn burning record purchase for the times.  lol   :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/30/2018 at 7:56 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 11/29/2018 at 10:47 PM, lou_fine said:

Not necessarily, but it looks like our assumption that we had seen the last of Boston Corbett is dead wrong, as it looks like he is back like a bat out of hell with another barn burning record purchase for the times.  lol   :tonofbricks:

I don't know who that is.  :shy:

Well, it's quite obvious you must also be one of those uneducated illiterates like the rest of us here who populate the CGC boards then.  (tsk)

Wan't Boston some supposedly big shot East Coast university economics professor who paid something like over $12K for the then highest and only graded copy of New Mutants 98.  Who then proceeded to defend his purchase through a somewhat valiant but obnoxious attempt to schooled the rest of us (i.e. the comic book illiterates) on the economic theory of supply and demand with respect to his NM 98 in order to validate his rationale that the book had nowhere else to go but up.  Especially considering that some of his economic professorial colleagues were apparently willing to pay him more than that for his copy of the book.  :preach:

And as Boston himself said in his parting words of wisdom to us:  "Thus endeth the lesson."  lol  lol

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it's quite obvious you must also be one of those uneducated illiterates like the rest of us here who populate the CGC boards then.  (tsk)

Wan't Boston some supposedly big shot East Coast university economics professor who paid something like over $12K for the then highest and only graded copy of New Mutants 98.  Who then proceeded to defend his purchase through a somewhat valiant but obnoxious attempt to schooled the rest of us (i.e. the comic book illiterates) on the economic theory of supply and demand with respect to his NM 98 in order to validate his rationale that the book had nowhere else to go but up.  Especially considering that some of his economic professorial colleagues were apparently willing to pay him more than that for his copy of the book.  :preach:

And as Boston himself said in his parting words of wisdom to us:  "Thus endeth the lesson."  lol  lol

Sounds interesting ... if this all happened on this forum, can someone provide a link to the thread?

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sounds interesting ... if this all happened on this forum, can someone provide a link to the thread?

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/170806-sale-of-the-year-new-mutants-98-cgc-99-for-12250/

Looks like it was our resident financial guru himself from Wall Street that had started this initial thread that then went on for 56 pages of fun and laughter.  :bigsmile:

Boy, sure brings up a lot of the old gang that used to make these boards a much more fun and lively place to visit.  Wonder where most of these board members have disappeared to.  :frown:

Although I had somehow managed to miss this initial thread when it first came out, I believe there was a second much shorter thread on this same topic later on where I did have some input into this topic.  Will see if I can find it although I believe it is definitely not as much fun as the original one since Boston had already left the scene by then.

On 11/29/2018 at 6:20 AM, SilverMAge said:

It finished the auction at $31,111

pretty sure this is the textbook definition of "hype," isn't it? or are we all on board that since she has a major film coming out she's automatically now as popular as wolverine, or more so? 

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/170806-sale-of-the-year-new-mutants-98-cgc-99-for-12250/

Looks like it was our resident financial guru himself from Wall Street that had started this initial thread that then went on for 56 pages of fun and laughter.  :bigsmile:

Boy, sure brings up a lot of the old gang that used to make these boards a much more fun and lively place to visit.  Wonder where most of these board members have disappeared to.  :frown:

Although I had somehow managed to miss this initial thread when it first came out, I believe there was a second much shorter thread on this same topic later on where I did have some input into this topic.  Will see if I can find it although I believe it is definitely not as much fun as the original one since Boston had already left the scene by then.

This thread brings back memories:cloud9:

On 12/5/2018 at 9:27 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

pretty sure this is the textbook definition of "hype," isn't it? or are we all on board that since she has a major film coming out she's automatically now as popular as wolverine, or more so? 

News flash: it's all about the MCU movies. And the MCU is featuring Carol Danvers as a flagship character of those movies and she'll help headline that universe for the next decade. She's a big deal. Plus, check the CGC census and you'll see there are only 7 copies listed at 9.6. MSH 13 kind of a rare book in high grade.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:
On 12/5/2018 at 6:27 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

News flash: it's all about the MCU movies. And the MCU is featuring Carol Danvers as a flagship character of those movies and she'll help headline that universe for the next decade. She's a big deal. Plus, check the CGC census and you'll see there are only 7 copies listed at 9.6. MSH 13 kind of a rare book in high grade.

:news:  flash!!!

Well, if it's only really all about the MCU movies, then that is indeed the textbook definition of "hype".

Especially if you are referring to a book that already has 6 other copies in equivalent grade plus another one in higher grade as compared to this copy that sold for over $31K for what would otherwise be a common book in any condition below uber high grade.

The easiest way to tell if it is hype or over valuation is to ask yourself the following question...................will the existence or placement of additional copies of this book into the marketplace in equivalent or higher condition grades reduce the value of my copy or will it serve to reinforce and increase the value of my copy of the book based upon what I had to paid for it?  hm

I believe I already know what the answer to this question would be with respect to this particular book.  :tonofbricks:

On 11/29/2018 at 6:29 AM, SilverMAge said:
On 11/29/2018 at 6:23 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

:whatthe:

Should I assume my 9.4 is worth about half that?

Well, I guess the CGC 9.4 graded copy that sold earlier this evening on CC's Winter Event Auction should give you some idea:

mar20.837a.jpg

Sold for $11,777 or less than half of the CGC 9.6 graded copy that sold for $31,111 although I strongly believe this CL sale is going to be seen as one of those outliers going forward.  On the other hand, the CL 9.6 graded copy clearly and obviously has much better centering as compared to this CC 9.4 graded copy where the top edge is cut off rather badly and then you have all that white space on the bottom.  :p

Any bets this copy would have gone for a bit more if if didn't have this clearly visual eyesore of a defect.  hm

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess the CGC 9.4 graded copy that sold earlier this evening on CC's Winter Event Auction should give you some idea:

mar20.837a.jpg

Sold for $11,777 or less than half of the CGC 9.6 graded copy that sold for $31,111 although I strongly believe this CL sale is going to be seen as one of those outliers going forward.  On the other hand, the CL 9.6 graded copy clearly and obviously has much better centering as compared to this CC 9.4 graded copy where the top edge is cut off rather badly and then you have all that white space on the bottom.  :p

Any bets this copy would have gone for a bit more if if didn't have this clearly visual eyesore of a defect.  hm

image.gif

image.gif

That's wild.  Thanks, and I (humbly) agree with you that the miscut of the cover had to hurt the price.

I've said this before, but I'm a buy-and-hold guy so I don't spend much time gauging the up-to-the-minute value of each book in my collection.  But it's hard not to notice what's going on with this book.  You could make a very long list of keys (FF #48 to take one big example) that would not command this much money for a 9.4.  That alone makes me wonder if this book can sustain that value.