• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSH 13 book club
3 3

51 posts in this topic

Interestingly, it looks like mid to higher grades, but not many 9.0 and above, are being dumped on ebay in volume for a discount.  Not unexpected, as those who were holding onto their books until after the movie are now trying to cash in on the success of the movie and on speculation of CM's future in the MCU.  Not a bad time to buy, I just picked up another nice copy for about 20% less than one I bought in the same grade 9 months ago.  Cost averaging down and still think CM's future is bright.  I'm in the Bullish camp. 

Yeah, I’m holding on to my remaining high grade copy (sold my 9.0 a couple months ago, couldn’t pass on the price). Carol Danvers will be around a long time, and Disney and Marvel are just getting started with her. Not only will her importance be realized when she’s positioned as the leader of the Avengers after Endgame, but I think her sequels might be similar to Captain America’s movies in that they’ll be mini-Avengers movies, only growing her popularity. But unlike Cap America, I think we’ll also get new details of Carol’s life in upcoming movies, leaving her room to grow and develop. Now, they just need to do the same with her comic book version. 

On 3/2/2019 at 11:47 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

9.4 sold for $7.600 on ComicLink:  http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?id=1298404

That is still a really strong price, but it's about half what some sellers are asking for online.

How about this one on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-CAPTAIN-MARVEL-SUPER-HEROES-13-CGC-9-4-1-CAROL-DANVERS-/123789344771?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

1 hour ago, c_mkv said:

Definitely a bit of a hard landing from the nose-bleed prices experienced during the frantic run-up to the CM movie and Endgame.  Again, this will likely be temporary until news breaks of CM's next appearance in the MCU.  Disney's track record of turning B, C and D list characters from the Marvel roster into onscreen superstars is undeniable.  For example, look at Hawkeye and Black Widow, C list characters at best (and Guardians, Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Ant-man, Wasp, Black Panther... and Moon Knight and Shang-Chi).  Their first appearances have hit ridiculous highs since the MCU debuted with recent sales of $2800 and $9000 for TOS 52 and 57 in 9.0 respectively.  Does anyone really think Black Widow is as significant as Wolverine and the New X-Men?  Of course not.  It's the exposure she's had through multiple MCU blockbuster films that's skyrocketed her popularity, and thus her first appearance.

Kevin Feige has unequivocally stated that CM will be the central and most powerful figure of MCU phase 4.  With such a bold statement, you can bet they're backing it up with all the talent, marketing and technology that Disney's considerable war chest can buy. Throughout most of her history Carol Danvers (as Ms. Marvel, Binary, and Capt Marvel) has been a B/C list character in the Marvel roster.  However, she has some pretty interesting and controversial story lines i.e. powers stolen by Rogue, non-consensual abduction and impregnation, cosmic-level planet destroying powers as Binary, genocide of an entire species (the Brood).  Combine that with the fact that MCU appears to be merging the storylines of Carol Danvers with Mar-Vell, and we are likely to see some pretty spectacular character arcs in phase 4.  With leading roles in potential MCU Phase 4 storylines like the Kree-Skrull war, Secret Invasion, Infinity War/Crusade/Etc, and cosmic arcs with (hopefully) Adam Warlock and Silver Surfer, I'm still putting my money on CM for the future.  If I could afford it, I would have bought that 9.4 without hesitation. Just my $0.02

Edited by davet75

24 minutes ago, davet75 said:

Definitely a bit of a hard landing from the nose-bleed prices experienced during the frantic run-up to the CM movie and Endgame...........

I agree I wish I picked it up at that price also but wow, the last 4/5 reported sales on GPA were all above $11k

11 minutes ago, c_mkv said:

I agree I wish I picked it up at that price also but wow, the last 4/5 reported sales on GPA were all above $11k

With news of the acquisition of rights to Spider-man, X-men and FF from Sony and Fox, the focus is on those key books.  CM hype is currently taking a backseat to the new kids in the Disney roster.  That will change when she starts tangling with cosmic baddies on the big screen.

Edited by davet75

1 hour ago, davet75 said:

Definitely a bit of a hard landing from the nose-bleed prices experienced during the frantic run-up to the CM movie and Endgame.  Again, this will likely be temporary until news breaks of CM's next appearance in the MCU.  Disney's track record of turning B, C and D list characters from the Marvel roster into onscreen superstars is undeniable.  For example, look at Hawkeye and Black Widow, C list characters at best (and Guardians, Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Ant-man, Wasp, Black Panther... and Moon Knight and Shang-Chi).  Their first appearances have hit ridiculous highs since the MCU debuted with recent sales of $2800 and $9000 for TOS 52 and 57 in 9.0 respectively.  Does anyone really think Black Widow is as significant as Wolverine and the New X-Men?  Of course not.  It's the exposure she's had through multiple MCU blockbuster films that's skyrocketed her popularity, and thus her first appearance.

Kevin Feige has unequivocally stated that CM will be the central and most powerful figure of MCU phase 4.  With such a bold statement, you can bet they're backing it up with all the talent, marketing and technology that Disney's considerable war chest can buy. Throughout most of her history Carol Danvers (as Ms. Marvel, Binary, and Capt Marvel) has been a B/C list character in the Marvel roster.  However, she has some pretty interesting and controversial story lines i.e. powers stolen by Rogue, non-consensual abduction and impregnation, cosmic-level planet destroying powers as Binary, genocide of an entire species (the Brood).  Combine that with the fact that MCU appears to be merging the storylines of Carol Danvers with Mar-Vell, and we are likely to see some pretty spectacular character arcs in phase 4.  With leading roles in potential MCU Phase 4 storylines like the Kree-Skrull war, Secret Invasion, Infinity War/Crusade/Etc, and cosmic arcs with (hopefully) Adam Warlock and Silver Surfer, I'm still putting my money on CM for the future.  If I could afford it, I would have bought that 9.4 without hesitation. Just my $0.02

As a fan and collector of all things Carol Danvers (I started this book club after all), I was a bit disappointed by her limited role in Endgame, though it makes total sense given that movie's story focus. I loved the Captain Marvel movie and how the filmmakers threw in so much Carol Danvers lore, including story elements from these early Stan Lee-Roy Thomas-Gene Colan stories. I also found her suddenly being part of this larger political culture war (like all the attacks from the right) to be very interesting and added to her cultural importance.

Of course, I'm very curious to see what the MCU has in store for her in Phase Four. Kevin Feige has hinted that the Captain Marvel sequel could be about what she did while out in space. I'd be interested to see a continuation of that Kree-Skrull conflict we were introduced to (maybe throw some Super Skrull and Nova Corps into the mix) and her showdown with the Supreme Intelligence on Hala, even though it takes place in the past. Maybe she actually returned to Earth?

We're just getting started with Captain Marvel in the MCU. Once she's established as an Avengers leader (along with Sam Wilson?), I think the excitement will build all over again. Hold on to them MSH #13s.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:45 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I'd be interested to see a continuation of that Kree-Skrull conflict we were introduced to 

With all of the hype being thrown around on the MCU related characters, I am actually surprised that the speculators haven't really bothered to chase down the now seeingly long forgotten Kree-Skull War storyline from Avengers 89-97.  ???

Especially since most of those issues also sport the beautiful Adams cover and interior artwork.  I still remember back in the day long long ago when the big squarebound Avengers 93 :luhv:  was considered to be one of the go to must BA keys to acquire.  Sadly, not the case anymore as so many other BA books have now surpassed it in terms of popularity and demand.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

With all of the hype being thrown around on the MCU related characters, I am actually surprised that the speculators haven't really bothered to chase down the now seeingly long forgotten Kree-Skull War storyline from Avengers 89-97.  ???

Especially since most of those issues also sport the beautiful Adams cover and interior artwork.  I still remember back in the day long long ago when the big squarebound Avengers 93 :luhv:  was considered to be one of the go to must BA keys to acquire.  Sadly, not the case anymore as so many other BA books have now surpassed it in terms of popularity and demand.  :frown:

Maybe if the Kree-Skrull War were to become part of the larger Avengers MCU storyline, like The Infinity Saga, there'd be more market interest. But it seems like the Kree- Skrull Conflict in the MCU takes place in the past, as the movie rumors are that Captain Marvel 2 is indeed set in the past and continues the Kree-Skrull Wa from the first movier. If that's the case, then perhaps that conflict will mainly be featured in these Captain Marvel films. And it's rumored that the Korvac Saga will be the next big Avengers cosmic storyline? (I follow leaks and rumors a lot)

Going back and reading the Kree-Skrull War comics stories, though, it seems that conflict was actually first shown to us in Captain Marvel #2 (1968 and also written by Roy Thomas), when Mar-Vell fights the Super Skrull on Earth.