• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Kickstarters worth supporting anymore?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I have only backed less than two dozen Kickstaters not all are art related. Many of the art related ones offer pre-done original art and others offer commissions have not had any issues with the former but I and many I know are having issues with the Kickstarters that offer original commissioned artwork.

I know commissions thru artists can be hit or miss and can take years because they have their regularly paying jobs. But if they are part of a Kickstater that solicits people to pledge, its it like their regular job?

What has everyone's experience have been with those type of Kickstarters?

In general, i have been disappointed with the comics-related kickstarters that i have backed. most of these i have backed because the creators had a decent track record of meeting deadlines over a lengthy period of time when working on books for the big 2 publishers   yet on a lot of them, the deadlines have gone out the window and the communication has been spotty, at best. the quality of the projects themselves have been quite good but the other nonsense sort of sours me on the whole thing............ and i am also on the mike kaluta list as well.

Edited by robert frey
typo

I have had only one significant delay - my commission from Mike Kaluta. It's finished and Elaine has it to mail, but I haven't heard from her yet.

As for the others, they have been delayed, but nothing that's bothered me because they keep in touch and seem to have managed their money better than, e.g., Starstruck.

I'd do it again for the right artists.

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

Hmmm... I forgot Butch Guice. That's late and no word. I share your frustration.

Yes I am on the Swords of the Swashbucklers Kickstater as well and waiting for Butch to drawn mine. Like you I don't mind the delay as much as the non responses. Dynamite is running the Swashbucklers and they haven't posted anything since the Swashbucklers HC shipped.. They didn't even mention the new comic book series shipping, which was a stretch goal.

12 hours ago, malvin said:

All I can say is, I'm still waiting for my Kaluta and it's a slap in the face when he completes new commissions while Kickstarter pieces are still outstanding 

Malvin 

I'm sure you and others have communicated that on the comments page of the kickstarter?

I'm a Superbacker-mostly tabletop gaming. I have had some disappointments but it's pretty well known that any kickstarter requires patience and an application of the metric system to measuring time. 

There's a lot to look for when backing; track record(if there is one), reputation outside of kickstarter ecosystem, and what's promised versus the timeline. If you see a bunch of stretch goals and add ons that are dependant on funding and really aren't related to the project(stickers, nick knacks, etc..) that's another sign that if it does come through it will likely be late. The scope and size of a kickstarter is also a pretty good indication of how to set delivery expectations.

I've only backed a handful of comic related projects. Jan Duursema is taking forever and communication is spotty. What has been shared however has been pretty amazing. I've also backed Tom Mandrake through Indiegogo. It took longer than expected and was picked up in person by a boardie at a con for me  but I got what I asked for(90% of it anyway).

Bart Sears project has been grand. Great, quality product nicely packaged. I've developed a nice professional rapport with him via email. My comm from his is in works-it's taking a while for everyone but some have been delivered and I'm okay with the wait as he's been good with communication.

Peter Simeti of Alterna Comics ran a slick kickstarter last year that delivered above expectations. And he's been a real stand up guy in my experiences with him outside the kickstarter. I'd back him again in a heartbeat.

Tim Truman's ks just finished and I have high expectations for that though I suspect it will likely run overtime delivery wise. Not because I doubt Tim, but because that's how I set my expectations for kickstarter.

I have backed about 23 Kickstarters, and most of those were comic or comic card related. Basically art stuff and comics & trading cards. Most of those were backed specifically for an art reward and I have never been let down and all have paid off eventually. I have backed Dan Brereton on several projects (comics by Big Wow's Steve Morger and trading cards by Side Lab), Steve Mannion, Bart Sears, and all the Coffin Comics KS's for Lady Death and others. I can tell you that it really depends on the artists and their reputations leading up to it, whether they are doing it themselves or have someone to help manage them and the money, and how ridiculous some of the stretch goals are can tell you everything. So I base it on a gut decision on whether I trust they will deliver or not. Here's a list of ones I liked, but didn't back for my reasons above and each has failed to deliver so far.

Tony Harris? Talented but screwed people over with a KS that he no longer acknowledges (even marked the rewards as sent when they never were) and then did a GoFundMe to go back to the well and get even more money and no one will ever see anything.

Jason Pearson? Love his art and Body Bags, but I knew that project would self destruct, if it ever made it to completion. Seems like it might now, but art rewards are nowhere near even started.

There have been others but no need to call them out. These 2 above are great examples because of how public they are that they aren't delivering. I still back Kickstarters whenever I like something, and while I am still waiting on some tech stuff to come through, the art has never been an issue.

I've pretty much only supported Joe Pekar's Kickstarters. He's extremely active, sends weekly updates, responds to all comment questions, and has pretty much been on time with everything. Which is all amazing since he's a one man operation from what I can tell.

Twice I've done the Chiaroscuro Studios Yearbook kickstarter (through Catarse.me) , the art rewards (Ivan Reis, Eddy Barrows, etc.) were so affordable and on time.  

I've always had luck with Jim Balent's Kickstarters.  He and Holly GoLightly deliver the rewards and stretch goals promptly.  Art rewards were much nicer than the examples he showed.

Also I just received Mitch Bryd's kickstarter, again roughly on time.  Anything less than six months late is good for me. 

I initially regretted passing on Kaluta's kickstarter - but years later, I'm glad I did.  The wait for my friends is killer.

Most of the KS I have backed are the full story.  No more single issues for me.  Hard to stay with the story a year at a time, and if they keep coming out.  Got in on a Dave Wachter western GN and he did a great job.  Hard cover, great color. I also got a nice Steven Butler Spidey piece from a KS.  I would love to get in on a Balent piece, but I don't scan it as much and miss a lot.

I have only been burned once, on indiegogo.  It was only for $50 so didn't hurt that bad. 

Somebody start a Kickstarter thread! For new project notifications. 

Edited by Spidey 62