• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is daredevil 1 so cheap?
1 1

86 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, s14roller said:

one, but DD as a character compared to Spidey, X-men, etc., just isn't as popular

If you were a teenager when I was you wouldn’t have missed buying DD every month.  Loved me some Spidey and XMen too but Frank Miller’s whole take on elektra et al was a must read. A super nice white copy of 1 is definitely on my wish list. 

I never warmed to the character maybe it was because "The Sight" was just a bit far fetched, flying I could accept invisibility I could accept but DD knowing the colour of something by touch no that was a step too far. Saying that I did like his yellow costume run 1-6 don't ask why I just liked his stories in that early period. 

download.jpg

18 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I never warmed to the character maybe it was because "The Sight" was just a bit far fetched, flying I could accept invisibility I could accept but DD knowing the colour of something by touch no that was a step too far. Saying that I did like his yellow costume run 1-6 don't ask why I just liked his stories in that early period. 

download.jpg

Huge fan of the yellow costume myself. Issue 6 is my all time favorite cover

17 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

DDs got a ton of great storylines:  Colan, Miller, Waid, Bendis, Brubaker. Imho DD is the most complex and interesting character in the MCU.

Everybody knows about the great Frank Miller run, but those Bendis and Brubaker comic runs are right up there as some of the best comic books written these last 20 years.

(thumbsu

I agree with namisgr but I also think a reason Daredevil 1 lags behind other # 1s due to the fact that DD was forgettable until Miller came along. Miller made DD interesting and relevant. Others after him have picked up the ball and run with it. However, before that, DD was just so much whatever and it seems clear that just because others came along and made the character more interesting, it didn't result in collectors flocking to DD 1. I'm not convinced that it's ever going to catch up to the other Marvel keys. It hasn't yet. People have been saying it's undervalued for YEARS and they are still saying it. At this point, what's going to change and send it to the stratosphere? 

My 2c  in no order:

1.  Abundant in grade as db cooper noted above.

2.  Was the last major Marvel hero of the early-mid 60s.  Saturation point reached by the time #1 came out?

3.  Revolving carousel of artists during those early years.  I hated when this happened on a title.  It made me hold my breath every issue before I opened the cover hoping not to see an artistic catastrophe and if I did then question whether I was going to continue buying the title.

4.  Major costume change less than 10 issues in.

5.  Didn't become a monthly title until 1966.  May have gotten lost for some kids with all of the Marvel books that were being issued at that time.

Edited by pemart1966

Let's not forget though that the Netflix Daredevil series is hands down the best TV super hero series ever and is now considered the gold standard of super hero tv series, especially season 1.

So Daredevil has been redeemed since Batfleck.