• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is daredevil 1 so cheap?
1 1

86 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Everybody knows about the great Frank Miller run, but those Bendis and Brubaker comic runs are right up there as some of the best comic books written these last 20 years.

(thumbsu

Exactly ...!

harsh voices often claim though that DD was Marvel ripping off Batman / DC.

6 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Exactly ...!

I don't see Daredevil ripping off Batman.

Daredevil's origin is vastly different,plus Kingpin vs Daredevil seems much rooted in the real world than Batman vs. Joker.

Two great characters,but vastly different.

Plus Daredevil never had a Robin. Lol.

47 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I don't see Daredevil ripping off Batman.

Daredevil's origin is vastly different,plus Kingpin vs Daredevil seems much rooted in the real world than Batman vs. Joker.

Two great characters,but vastly different.

Plus Daredevil never had a Robin. Lol.

I love DD. And see him as a unique icon. Thus: no rip off ?

Edited by Mr bla bla

17 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

My 2c  in no order:

1.  Abundant in grade as db cooper noted above.

2.  Was the last major Marvel hero of the early-mid 60s.  Saturation point reached by the time #1 came out?

3.  Revolving carousel of artists during those early years.  I hated when this happened on a title.  It made me hold my breath every issue before I opened the cover hoping not to see an artistic catastrophe and if I did then question whether I was going to continue buying the title.

4.  Major costume change less than 10 issues in.

5.  Didn't become a monthly title until 1966.  May have gotten lost for some kids with all of the Marvel books that were being issued at that time.

What year did they finally break free of DC's distribution lock where they could only publish 8 titles?

1 hour ago, Eric C. said:

Is Daredevil #1 actually "cheap"?  From sellmycomicbooks.com: 

• CGC 9.4 $22,500
  • CGC 9.0 $9,000
  • CGC 7.5 $4,300
  • CGC 7.0 $3,700
  • CGC 6.0 $2,500
  • CGC 4.5 $1,500
  • CGC 3.5 $1,225
  • CGC 2.5 $1,075
  • CGC 1.0 $465

Relative to other keys of the era?  Yes it is.

DD #1 went up A LOT when Netflix season 1 came out.  Practically overnight it shot up. By “a lot”, I mean comparatively speaking - from what the prices were before Netflix season 1 to after season 1.

If it weren’t for Netflix, the prices would be much lower today than they actually are.

1 hour ago, Eric C. said:

Isn't it kind of on par with Avengers 1 & Avengers 4 in terms of pricing?

Those two go for a lot more than those posted prices for Daredevil 1 don't they...at least in the top grades?

Edited by pemart1966

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Those two go for a lot more than those posted prices for Daredevil 1 don't they...at least in the top grades?

They start to separate once we get into the 9 category but 20K is far from "cheap".  The middle to low ranges are pretty even.  Still, it should be pretty simple to see that Daredevil has never been as popular as most of the other characters even though his 1st appearance is still pretty damn expensive and on par with other keys from that era.  I think its a bit of a misnomer to say that its undervalued or "cheap".

4 minutes ago, Eric C. said:

They start to separate once we get into the 9 category but 20K is far from "cheap".  The middle to low ranges are pretty even.  Still, it should be pretty simple to see that Daredevil has never been as popular as most of the other characters even though his 1st appearance is still pretty damn expensive and on par with other keys from that era.  I think its a bit of a misnomer to say that its undervalued or "cheap".

You're right, $20k is not cheap but as my original post said - it is relative to other same era keys...

What other early 60s Marvel "key" can be had for $22,500 in 9.4 - especially a number 1 or first appearance?

Edited by pemart1966

20 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Exactly ...!

Not even the close to the same. Matt Murdock certainly did not come from riches, everything he has he worked for, and did it all while being stricken blind. Law school gradute, small business owner, Stick as a teacher (no easy feat) no knock on Batman, but these two should not be in the same sentence. 

5 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Netflix is not good for key books.

I think it is as it keeps the character fresh and has exposed DD to millions of new fans.

What were the two DC characters who broke out of comic books during the 1940s to 1960s?

Superman and Batman.

What was the common denominator they had?

Hit tv series.

Most people were introduced to Superman and Batman thru George Reeves and Adam West tv reruns than the comics.

The same thing will happen with Daredevil on Netflix 24/7.

Having a hit tv show is a unbelievable opportunity to make new fans of that character.

Than not to mention eventually they will make a Daredevil movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

So yeah I see Daredevil #1 undervalued now just like Hulk #181 was a few years ago.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur