• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is daredevil 1 so cheap?
1 1

86 posts in this topic

In @1983, I remember going to our LCS and being hypnotized by the STACK of DD1's they had under the counter.  I don't remember how many books were in the said stack, but I would estimate it to be @10 copies.  The was a tri-folded sign on top that read $50, but that may not have been the price for each book, but rather the price only for the one on the top of the stack which was likely the nicest. 

Right next to the DD1's, there was a similar stack of Avengers 1's.  That's why the book is still relatively cheap; even 30 years ago stores were practically tripping over those books.

11 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

What other early 60s Marvel "key" can be had for $22,500 in 9.4 - especially a number 1 or first appearance?

The other ones that have 33 copies graded in 9.4, i.e. Avengers 4

On 7/10/2018 at 8:38 PM, tv horror said:

Gene Colan's run on the title as its artist was great, It even got its own reprint book.

21qwqYmwceL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Didnt Miller / Mazzuchelli do a mini (ish #221-225 I think)? it was a superb collaboration.

38 minutes ago, paul747 said:

I would say that DD#1 is more key than avengers #4

Disagree on that one wholeheartedly. First SA Cap.  World known thanks to the MCU. Iconic cover.  Not a DD fan but appreciate his place as a second tier hero. Before the MCU I had iron man with him tier wise.  The DD 1 cover cud have been so much better imo if they weren’t trying to promote their book via their other successes. 

10 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Disagree on that one wholeheartedly. First SA Cap.  World known thanks to the MCU. Iconic cover.  Not a DD fan but appreciate his place as a second tier hero. Before the MCU I had iron man with him tier wise.  The DD 1 cover cud have been so much better imo if they weren’t trying to promote their book via their other successes. 

True first appearance comic over a 100th appearance.  Cover wise , that's opinion.

12 minutes ago, paul747 said:

True first appearance comic over a 100th appearance.  Cover wise , that's opinion.

I think true first appearance trumps first SA appearance in almost every case as well  but when it comes to comparing Cap to DD  and what Cap meant to Marvel in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2 000's and now the movies I don't think there is a comparison.  As far as covers go the Avengers 4 cover is considered Iconic based on the multiple cover swipes drawn from it paying homage to A4.  I like how Daredevil section looks on the cover of DD 1 but when you have SPidey and the FF on there  it takes away from the cover IMO.. That being said it is a very impt book for Marvel

Edited by Chicago Boy

19 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

comparing Cap to DD  and what Cap meant to Marvel in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2 000's and now the movies

I agree with you on the 60's and now with the MCU, but 70's, 80's, and 90's Daredevil was a much better comic than anything Cap was in.  2000's were a push for the two IMO.  Look at any list of the top comic story lines and you'll see a plethora of Daredevil comics.  At best you'll see a couple Cap or Avengers story lines.  For someone my age (early 50's) Daredevil and X-Men were Marvel's best stuff when I was reading as a youth and teen.

I think of Avengers 4 as much more than just Cap's first SA appearance. It brings the Golden Age into the Silver Age for Marvel. All the silver keys have shot so much in recent years it's hard to use the term undervalued, but I do think both Avengers 4 and Flash 123 are still underappreciated for their significance to continuity. (Sadly, continuity seems to be a lost art among comic creators, but that's another topic .)

I actually like the DD1 cover.

I think the 1964 guide quote summarized it best; DD came last, in 1964. It's a long time ago, but it's a world of difference between nobody seeing something coming and a handful of Phil Seuling's catching on to kids tracking down two-year-old comics. Considering the guide is an annual, I think that passage reports on 1963 happenings, as the two sept 1963 #1's (Avengers and X-Men) are also more plentiful than most earlier Marvel keys. They were the last two biggies before DD1; he's six or eight months later. Had Iron Man debuted in an Iron Man #1 rather than in TOS in May of '63, he may have been the first to get noticed by the early adapters. TOS 39 is on the bubble of that timeframe and probably was the last intro to catch the early collectors offguard.

I love all my silver Marvel keys, but I think most of the market value difference among later vs earlier is owed to those first Marvel collectors. So many of our beloved characters are now iconic to so many through a decade or more of movies and merchandising; popularity (which ebbs and flows) is a factor, but I do think the foundation is copies extant.

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

This is why Daredevil #1 would be a good buy like Tales of Suspense #39 was a good buy before the Iron Man movie. Before the Iron Man movie Iron Man was not the top dog he is considered now. Once Marvel puts DD in a Marvel Cinematic movie DD #1 will have another run.

The same thing is happening now with FF#1 as prices have skyrocketed do to the anticipation of FF being in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.