• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on GA Books and glue.
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Can anyone comment on a couple of queries on glue regarding restored books.

1. Does glue on the cover, even a very small amount always get a restored designation from CGC? I ask this because I'm sure I've seen Books before with glue that have been given a Universal label.

2. Following on from this,are very old label books more likely to carry a restored label, and are new label books likely to receive a Universal label?  

Thanks in advance.

14 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

1. Does glue on the cover, even a very small amount always get a restored designation from CGC? I ask this because I'm sure I've seen Books before with glue that have been given a Universal label.

2. Following on from this,are very old label books more likely to carry a restored label, and are new label books likely to receive a Universal label?  

Thanks in advance.

I think the policy is basically as long as the glue isn't actually improving the book, and it's a very small amount, it gets a blue label with the notation of "glue on cover."  I'm not positive, but it seems like that's what I've seen.

I would think your second question is accurate, because I think the stance recently changed, which stands to reason that older books will carry the PLOD.

I think they may have toughened up lately on how they treat a small amount of glue.  I've had two books come back in the past couple of months that were unexpectedly PLODs with this label notation, including one book that their main competitors had put in a blue label.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Totally OT, but I was just reading that of the 92 players on the four remaining teams, 40 played in the Premier League last year. 

Best League in the world. (thumbsu

Thanks Guys. As regards the glue question,it's a bit up in the air. I have a book in an old 'old' label which is purple label because of 'very minor amount of glue'. So if I re submit I may get a blue label...or I may not. Anyone give me a definitive answer?

2 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Thanks Guys. As regards the glue question,it's a bit up in the air. I have a book in an old 'old' label which is purple label because of 'very minor amount of glue'. So if I re submit I may get a blue label...or I may not. Anyone give me a definitive answer?

CGC probably could!

lol.gif

I had thought it was a subjective call by the graders based on amount and degree or intent of improvement?   So you wouldn't be able to really know until it went through the grading process.  

Or just it to PGX and they won't even notice the glue.

Edited by telerites

45 minutes ago, telerites said:

I had thought it was a subjective call by the graders based on amount and degree or intent of improvement?   So you wouldn't be able to really know until it went through the grading process.  

Or just it to PGX and they won't even notice the glue.

I'd rather use the glue to seal my eyelids.

2 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Not glue.  But showing that minor amounts of color touch also can get a pass on blue label books.

I know, but my question was specifically about glue. :insane:

5 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

If you inquire, I'm pretty sure they will say the graders will have to take a look at it.  You could send it to CCS for an evaluation of whether the glue can be scraped off without damaging the book. 

On 7/9/2018 at 4:07 PM, Grantley Goddard said:

As I understand it, CGC was faced with grading GA key Church books where the only restoration was a touch of glue to prevent a bindery chip from flaking off. 

They had two choices:

1) Put them in a purple label.

2) Put them in a blue label but factor the damage caused by the glue into the grade.

If they chose option 1, owners would likely have the glue (and related parts of the cover) removed and the books would be submitted and would receive a blue label.  This would, indirectly, likely result in very minor defacing of some of the best and most beautiful GA comics.

They chose option 2.