• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else notice the 3 pieces in HA Sig. Auction are listed as STOLEN with Moy...?

41 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just spoke with Albert about this.

He said the auction is legitimate.

He said he will make a statement about it when he is legally able to--

but again, all is well  

the pieces have clear title, and there are NO issues with the pieces.

Best

Rob

1 minute ago, artcollector9 said:

Hi all,

but again, all is well  

Best

Rob

img_3262.gif

2 hours ago, artcollector9 said:

Hi all,

but again, all is well  

Best

Rob

I’m guessing he has since removed that they were stolen on his site?

4 hours ago, artcollector9 said:

Hi all,

but again, all is well  

Best

Rob

Yup, I can corroborate this. Bid with confidence.

Weird situation. I am not a big enough fish so my opinion is immaterial perhaps, but buying goods reported as stolen is not a good idea. Or am I wrong? A clear statement from Albert, HA, or the police where the report is filed should accompany the art I would think. I respect those who say it is kosher and believe them, but the fact the are still listed as stolen while simultaneously being up for auction is not exactly a recipe for success.

Edited by Bird
cue Spanky throwing money away meme! Or is it a gif? can it be both?

The more I think it over the less I like it. But far be it from me to rain on someone's parade. I would think that HA would want to clear this up so as to maximize value on the consignment and remove the idea that Albert, as the rightful owner of reported stolen goods, could lay claim to art stolen from him after the auction has concluded. Again, I believe it is likely clear but short of a statement that these items were recovered or mistakenly reported as stolen why risk losing it all on secondhand assurances?

5 hours ago, Bill C said:

I also am not a big enough fish to be in the mix for these nice pieces.

That said, I can see a strategic advantage here for someone who desires these, as many potential competitors might shy away due to some uncertainty on their part.

Are you suggestion that someone might get them for a... steal?

I know no facts and have not reached out to Albert so pure speculation.

Maybe there is an agreement out there (signed or being negotiated) that restricts Albert from making a public statement without somerthing occuring first (which is in the works) or without the other party approving the language (maybe between Albert and the current owner who unknowingly bought the art from the thief years ago and they are splitting the proceeds pending recovery from the thief).  It could be that Heritage is also a party given the unusual facts (and that they would want to protect themselves).

42 minutes ago, malvin said:

I shouldn't weight in, and I'm not a lawyer, but I'm confused why Albert has to wait until he is "legally able" to make a statement.  What situation could cause that?

Malvin

They are engaged in a legal settlement. The value these bring in will help determine damages.

And pure speculation on my part as I haven't talked to Albert about this, but maybe he just hasn't gotten around updating his website (in regards to these pieces still listed as stolen)?  I know he's slammed with travel and SDCC prep, so it might be simple oversight on the website side of things?  

Edited by stinkininkin

2 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

I know no facts and have not reached out to Albert so pure speculation.

Maybe there is an agreement out there (signed or being negotiated) that restricts Albert from making a public statement without somerthing occuring first (which is in the works) or without the other party approving the language (maybe between Albert and the current owner who unknowingly bought the art from the thief years ago and they are splitting the proceeds pending recovery from the thief).  It could be that Heritage is also a party given the unusual facts (and that they would want to protect themselves).

It seems to me that Albert's listing of the items as "stolen" may have been a matter of dispute. And the person who possesses them, did not agree with Albert on that point. Thus, there was a sales dispute that resulted in litigation. Their sale is part of a settlement the parties may have reached. This is just speculation, of course. But if there was absolutely no cloud on the title of the pages, then there would be no legal impediment to Albert saying something about it publicly.