• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 with Mark Jewelers Insert that rare?

15 posts in this topic

I used to have a CGC 6.5 Hulk 181 with Mark Jeweler's insert and it DEFINITELY commanded a premium on the market when I sold it.  (Really wish I hadn't done that...)

Not sure on statistics for how rare though, definitely much less common than books without the insert.

Books with the National Diamond/Mark Jewelers inserts were actually put in less than 5% of copies during the BA, and their survival rate is far less than that, especially in high grade.  If you have a big BA key in high grade (8.0+) with one of the inserts you've definitely got something cool and special.  

-J.

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Books with the National Diamond/Mark Jewelers inserts were actually put in less than 5% of copies during the BA, and their survival rate is far less than that, especially in high grade.  If you have a big BA key in high grade (8.0+) with one of the inserts you've definitely got something cool and special.  

-J.

Why do you believe the MJI's were in less than 5% of the overall print runs?

I think years to come, people are going to realize how rare they are, because they were sold on military bases only, military people have to move more than the average person. Moving a lot, means more of your stuff gets thrown away. I've seen a 1000+++ of hulk 181's on eBay, I've only seen 3 with the mark jewelers insert for sale. I know there's more of them out there, think people are just holding on to them.  I do pay more for the variant, trying to pick up all the keys with it. The hulk 181 might parallel the 35 cent Star Wars 1 one day

Bronze age comics with the ND/MJI, in my opinion since I've been looking for them, are probably less than 5% of what's out there.  Since they were targeted to the military, I suspect that a lot were thrown away during PCS moves since their allotted weight allotments are fairly small and we all know comics boxes weigh a ton.  I do think a greater number of comics w/ MJI survived from the mid-late-80s due to speculation (I own about a dozen X-Men 249s with the insert).  Most of the collections I see now from former military members stationed overseas during that timeframe have some.

Jim

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:06 PM, valiantman said:

Is that a lot? hm

Depends on rank and your family situation (married, # of kids, etc).  But generally not a whole hell of a lot.  It's common for military members to get rid of stuff so they'll be under the limit when they PCS.

Jim