• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko deserves an Artist edition

27 posts in this topic

I originally joined this forum back in 2014 and I'm still a noob were posting is concerned, however over those years I've witnessed Colan (great) Kirby (fantastic) Kubert ( marvelous) the E.C artists yet no Ditko, why? I'm sure there must be some reason that I'm willing to understand if explained to me, so how about a volume or two on Steve's work Scott I know that you listen to fan's as you are one yourself so please pretty please have a word with the higher ups at IDW. Even an Artifact or two of his work would sell well and I for one would prize it above all others in the series.(worship)  

Please show your support.<3

images.jpg

Not to be morbid but this post does remind me that he probably has original art (whether marvel or not) in his studio.   I wonder if the family will bring it to market.

I spoke to Scott Dunbier (the man behind the Artist's Editions) at the Jack Kirby art exhibit in Los Angeles several years ago.  Scott wanted to do a Ditko book but was faced with a sea of red tape that made the project unfeasible at that time.

Have to (respectfully) disagree with Glen's contention.  As some examples, Mike Burkey owns a couple of complete ASM book interiors . . . David Mandel owns the complete book of ASM # 26 (plus several covers and the ASM # 7 splash, maybe more) . . . plus the AF # 15 book held by LOC, so I don't really consider lack of available art to be a barrier.  Scott has a canny knack of accessing art that's not widely considered available for public consumption.

As such, there would be NO problem locating enough quality Ditko works to produce an Artist's Edition book.  Heck, Paris Fred managed to stage a Ditko artwork exhibition in Palma, Spain, several years ago.  Link to photos I took from that exhibition:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=178300

Edited by The Voord

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Not to be morbid but this post does remind me that he probably has original art (whether marvel or not) in his studio.   I wonder if the family will bring it to market.

I would imagine that he set in motion a plan to save his work and possibly his estate will provide the details, it could be the library of congress who will get the first offer. I am sure that he was well aware of the comic World's interest in his work and what better way than to donate it to a public forum like the LOC, however I personally feel that his work should be more freely available to the masses maybe through digital or online as many of us could not afford a trip to Washington everytime we want to view the artwork or on the other hand it would be a shame if it was locked away in some vault.   

I'd certainly like to see a collection of his best Warren magazine artwork.

I really do hope the originals still exist and that such a project is actually feasible.

5 hours ago, tv horror said:

I would imagine that he set in motion a plan to save his work and possibly his estate will provide the details, it could be the library of congress who will get the first offer. I am sure that he was well aware of the comic World's interest in his work and what better way than to donate it to a public forum like the LOC, however I personally feel that his work should be more freely available to the masses maybe through digital or online as many of us could not afford a trip to Washington everytime we want to view the artwork or on the other hand it would be a shame if it was locked away in some vault.   

I am just as sure he was aware of the interest in his originals, but also just as sure he didn't care.  (Or worse, was hostile to the world's interest)  We may never know the fate of the OA which may or may not have been present with him, especially if he passed intestate and/or had no living relatives.

Edited by thethedew

Folks here might want to check out DITKO UNLEASHED!, published to complement the Palma exhibition, and choc full of quality OA images.  When I attended the exhibition with my wife I was met by the book's author and treated to a day out that included a meal and visits to out-of-the-way places of interest following my tour of the exhibition (all because I'd loaned a couple of cover originals).  A Ditko ASM Artist's Edition would be great (if Scott Dunbier can ever get the project off the ground) but this is probably the next best thing.

Ditko.jpg

15 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

yes , ... maybe a publisher can contact Steve's nephew .....

Thank you for the support, I'm a bit surprised that this posting has not had more replies considering how Mr Ditko was admired after all it is a comic collectors site.:bigsmile: I know how to drum up support...1.2.3.4 Who do we appreciate...D.I.T.K.O ! 

cheer-lions.jpg

My understanding is Ditko left a will with very specific instructions. Briefly, he has set up a trust to continue the lease on his Manhattan apartment in perpetuity. His stack of originals is to be placed in the center of the room. The two Dr. Strange stories he never turned in to Marvel when he quit in 1966 are to be placed on top of the stack, and no one is ever to be allowed into the room. 

2 hours ago, drdroom said:

no one is ever to be allowed into the room. 

If it was the 1st of April I would laugh however how sure are you that this was his instructions it seems very extreme to say the least. I'm thinking that this is not true as I feel he would have wanted them donated to some library. Thank you for the reply. 

3 hours ago, tv horror said:

If it was the 1st of April I would laugh however how sure are you that this was his instructions it seems very extreme to say the least. I'm thinking that this is not true as I feel he would have wanted them donated to some library. Thank you for the reply. 

He is 100% kidding around.

9 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Since Ditko was a man of excruciatingly precise principles, I'll go out on a limb and guess that whatever he planned to do with his art will only confound you. 

What we need is a team like Woodward and Bernstein to investigate.