• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World's Finest 2

12 posts in this topic

I ran across a World's Finest 2 today.  The cover is detached but complete.  I'm curious about the binding if anyone can shed some light.  The book is square-bound and apparently, the cover was attached to the pages with adhesive.  The pages are stapled together top to bottom with two staples.  My question is, were the pages originally stapled together or were all of the pages also bound in with adhesive along the spine and the staples have been added after the fact?  Thanks one and all.

I have never seen a 2, but I have an 8 which is still the 100 page version and it is just like you described with the pages stapled together and then affixed to the cover with adhesive.  Incidentally its cover was detached as well.  I think that adhesive giving up after 75 plus years may be a common occurrence.  I would guess they were all bound this way, at least until they went away from the very thick cardboard covers.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:47 AM, BB-Gun said:

I think the cardboard covers were glued on until issue 17.

I absolutely love the thick squarebound 100-page cardboard cover books ever since I saw a gorgeous copy of New Book of Comics 2 way back in the day.

Not sure if there's any truth to the rumour that it's a lot harder to "mess around" with these thick cardboard cover books?  (shrug)

22 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Bruce, can I have your WF 3?

I don't think it is complete but the splash for the Scarecrow story is still there.

42543350035_9066c6a1ee_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 7/15/2018 at 7:33 PM, lou_fine said:

I absolutely love the thick squarebound 100-page cardboard cover books ever since I saw a gorgeous copy of New Book of Comics 2 way back in the day.

Not sure if there's any truth to the rumour that it's a lot harder to "mess around" with these thick cardboard cover books?  (shrug)

What do you mean by "mess around"?  Pressing?