• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else find this egregious?
1 1

54 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mysterymachine said:

There must be some market for this or sellers wouldn't be doing it. I personally don't like it, but if you have your own personal book and you want a sketch, it's your book, do whatever you want to it. I just don't like sellers doing these things to increase the value of a book. Particularly when they take 1.5 graded books, throw a signature on it and put vg or better prices on the book. Its just an attempt to get as much money from a trashed book as they can get. 

That's it pretty much. And how much does it actually increase the value? It seems to be at the sellers discretion. $7k for a sketched Bat #227? I guess so. The book is just sitting there. You'd have to be a insufficiently_thoughtful_person to spend that kind of money on a book like that. But there is one born every minute, I guess. Fortunately, the book IS just sitting there and no precedents are being set.

It's your book. If you want something like that to keep for your collection and that's your sort of tribute, that's one thing. Doing it as a speculator thinking people are going to snap their femurs running to purchase your vandalism is another. I think the market must be pretty slim for this sort of thing. If that's all your ARE is a speculator and you are wrecking books thinking you will make cash, then...well.. you are kind of a jerk.

6 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

It's your book. If you want something like that to keep for your collection and that's your sort of tribute, that's one thing. Doing it as a speculator thinking people are going to snap their femurs running to purchase your vandalism is another. I think the market must be pretty slim for this sort of thing. If that's all your ARE is a speculator and you are wrecking books thinking you will make cash, then...well.. you are kind of a jerk.

"Wrecking", of course, being subjective. Whether the market is slim or not, it will continue while there is money to be made. Frankly, there are quite a few books that are selling for LESS signed than their unsigned counterparts...which is fine by me, because 1. maybe creators will realize this isn't the cash cow they were led to believe, and 2. cheaper for me.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:41 PM, N e r V said:

I think the pedigree copies that people are having signed ....

I have a BIG problem with that practice! :mad:

I don't believe in pressing pedigrees either.

Edited by newshane

Yeah, I get that it's someone's book and they can do what they want.

But it's wrecking history at worst and defacing it at best.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:03 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

That Bats #227 is fantastic. Perfect placement. Love it. Massively overpriced and overvalued, but a neat book.

The #234 is in the wrong place. Why Neal did that is unknown; he's usually very picky about it.

The JO #134 is nice, too.

This really surprises me Rock. Figured you for a blue label on pre 1980 books, not sure why I thought that though. Lol.  

3 hours ago, cujobyte said:
On 8/2/2018 at 7:03 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

That Bats #227 is fantastic. Perfect placement. Love it. Massively overpriced and overvalued, but a neat book.

The #234 is in the wrong place. Why Neal did that is unknown; he's usually very picky about it.

The JO #134 is nice, too.

This really surprises me Rock. Figured you for a blue label on pre 1980 books, not sure why I thought that though. Lol.  

The first SS books I ever did were at the first signing by Frazetta in May of '08, done by chainnball...and that was an original Vampi #1 (1969) and the Harris reprint (2001), which was still technically of the book published in 1969. Quite the intro, eh? I was hooked.

I love SS of all generations. Sadly, with Robinson gone, everyone asks ten trillion dollars for any of his SS GA Batmans.

Sigh.

11 hours ago, newshane said:

I have a BIG problem with that practice! :mad:

I don't believe in pressing pedigrees either.

If Church was alive, I would absolutely have him sign his copies for SS.

And I'm probably not alone.

By JUST Church...and maybe Larson...maybe one or two of the other giants of pedigrees.

Gaines and his file copies, for sure.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:03 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

If Church was alive, I would absolutely have him sign his copies for SS.

And I'm probably not alone.

By JUST Church...and maybe Larson...maybe one or two of the other giants of pedigrees.

Gaines and his file copies, for sure.

Larson already signed his.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:01 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

The first SS books I ever did were at the first signing by Frazetta in May of '08, done by chainnball...and that was an original Vampi #1 (1969) and the Harris reprint (2001), which was still technically of the book published in 1969. Quite the intro, eh? I was hooked.

I love SS of all generations. Sadly, with Robinson gone, everyone asks ten trillion dollars for any of his SS GA Batmans.

Sigh.

I snagged a hardcover Batman Archives #1 signed by Robinson for a sweet price a few weeks ago. This guy was at a 'vention and Robinson was sitting by himself at a booth and he wandered over to say hello and got the sig. Not the first time I heard that Robinson was sitting off by himself somewhere. If I could have met him, I would have sat in his lap while sucking my thumb.

Those GA Robinson SS books do go for a sum. All of them seem to have brittle pages. At least the one's from his collection. Did he store them in a kiln? It's too bad about those. I have seen the 'Tec 38 reprints signed by Robinson selling for $3-7k. A little outlandish, I think:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-38-CGC-SS-9-8-SIGNED-ORIG-ARTIST-JERRY-ROBINSON-REPRINT-1995/292031285141?hash=item43fe6bc795:g:fvAAAOSwej1YX5oX

I thought this was reasonable, given the book:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-30-CGC-4TH-BATMAN-1939-BOB-KANE-SIGNED-BY-JERRY-ROBINSON/113055641271?hash=item1a52a42eb7:g:rDMAAOSwT4ZbH18A

Edited by Randall Ries

The only comic I've ever had signed was one purple label that already had a small amount of color touch (which I couldn't find). Still not sure how an almost unnoticeable dot of color halves a comic's value but black sharpie scrawled across the face doubles it...

5 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

The only comic I've ever had signed was one purple label that already had a small amount of color touch (which I couldn't find). Still not sure how an almost unnoticeable dot of color halves a comic's value but black sharpie scrawled across the face doubles it...

That's a valid point. My big concern is the bleed through from a sharpie or marker onto the first page. Seems like that would slash a grade quickly.

2 hours ago, PhantomEwan said:

So what happens if you find the color touch then someone signs over the top of it?  Is it now no longer restored?

People do it with paid sketches all the time :foryou:

As far as a signature, it would have to be very strategically placed, which may result in poor signature placement. 

On 8/24/2018 at 12:44 PM, Black_Adam said:

Indeed!