• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

phone bidding on heritage. have you ever?

11 posts in this topic

curious about phone bidding. would love to know the mechanics of it. how long are you on the phone to bid on one item? do they call you or do you call them? if there are multiple lots - what then? etc..

please share any experience you got.  thinking of trying it out as internet access may not be great.

53 minutes ago, artcollector9 said:

it works well. You are there live and it moves fast for sure. Don't hesitate, know in advance how much you are willing to bid to.

do you give them the # or do you just say bid - and it goes another increment?

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

do you give them the # or do you just say bid - and it goes another increment?

You keep telling them to bid and, when you think you can't go any higher, you reach deep down and tell the guy on the phone...

211295973_Cutmemick.jpg.2be88243172521a38c308f645069c6ff.jpg

I agree.  Phone bidding works fine.  You give them all your lots ahead of time and the day before they call you to make sure your number is working.  If the lots are separated by too many in between, after the first batch is done they'll hang up and they will then call you back for the next batch of lots.

I try to work out with my Rep as soon as he calls what my vocabulary/word choice will be and what I am planning ahead of time on each lot right before we get to it (eg, "jump in as soon as lot opens" vs "don't jump in as soon as lot opens and let's see where it goes").  Sometimes I use "bid," sometimes I use "yes" and I tell the Rep what words I'll use when I'm thinking about my options or when I'm done/out.

Sometimes the Rep has helped by reminding me that a cut bid was available and I've used it (but it has never won me the piece).

But as stated above, it still moves fast and you need to know your mind ahead of time. If it's just down to you and another bidder, then being on the phone can allow you a few extra seconds as the auctioneer will check with your Rep if you want to bid again and won't close the lot.

That being said, I have recently switched back to HA Live internet bidding and that has also worked fine (I won my last 3 pieces that way, all of which had aggressive live bidding) (Note, I was on a desktop not on my iPad or iPhone).

4 hours ago, artcollector9 said:

it works well. You are there live and it moves fast for sure. Don't hesitate, know in advance how much you are willing to bid to.

hint: sometimes when I'm on the phone with various auction houses  they sometimes ask, 'so what are you going to (dollar amount)  on this lot?'. Don't answer that! Say you don't know. Just bid until you want to stop. 

10 hours ago, artcollector9 said:

hint: sometimes when I'm on the phone with various auction houses  they sometimes ask, 'so what are you going to (dollar amount)  on this lot?'. Don't answer that! Say you don't know. Just bid until you want to stop. 

I was wondering about this. Good to know!

10 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

I agree.  Phone bidding works fine.  You give them all your lots ahead of time and the day before they call you to make sure your number is working.  If the lots are separated by too many in between, after the first batch is done they'll hang up and they will then call you back for the next batch of lots.

I try to work out with my Rep as soon as he calls what my vocabulary/word choice will be and what I am planning ahead of time on each lot right before we get to it (eg, "jump in as soon as lot opens" vs "don't jump in as soon as lot opens and let's see where it goes").  Sometimes I use "bid," sometimes I use "yes" and I tell the Rep what words I'll use when I'm thinking about my options or when I'm done/out.

Sometimes the Rep has helped by reminding me that a cut bid was available and I've used it (but it has never won me the piece).

But as stated above, it still moves fast and you need to know your mind ahead of time. If it's just down to you and another bidder, then being on the phone can allow you a few extra seconds as the auctioneer will check with your Rep if you want to bid again and won't close the lot.

That being said, I have recently switched back to HA Live internet bidding and that has also worked fine (I won my last 3 pieces that way, all of which had aggressive live bidding) (Note, I was on a desktop not on my iPad or iPhone).

Thanks for the detailed response.  expecting to have poor internet service so the phone option is great to know about.

just to be clear - they will say the price and you then say your agreed upon word (like yes or bid) ?

Edited by Panelfan1

Half the time I could practically hear what the bid was from the auctioneer in the background--but yes the Rep would say it's at [$] and/or tell me the next bid increment ("it's at [$], do you want to bid" or "do you want to go to [$]") and I would respond.

An obvious note--no one is using/computing/adding the Buyer's Premium for you -- the Rep is basing everything on bids.  So you would deal with the BP in whatever way you want (I usually just guestimate it beforehand factoring in the likely max I'll bid--which I may blow through in the heat of the bidding).