• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Signature Verification Questions

32 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I would imagine this would 'qualify' no pun intended for a qualified green label combined with the yellow sig series label (I've never seen one in person but I believe it basically looks like a yellow label with a green stripe at the top) - it would say Signed by (whoever signed it that was authenticated by CGC and their witness) and then 'name written on cover' for all the non-authenticated by cgc sigs.

Thanks. Lesson learned(thumbsu I'm new to the game and didn't realize CBCS had that much of a sour rep (though it's universally known that CGC is the gold standard). I understand how the CBCS red label can be a major turn-off to their entire practice. This slab was an inexpensive auction pickup, CBCS yellow label Superman with 4 sigs. I was hoping to add Jerry Ordway somewhere down the line but I guess ill just let it be.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:10 PM, funkpirate said:

So there's no way of knowing if the signature will negatively impact the grade? 

I'm very new to collecting comics, if someone wouldn't mind giving their opinion on my situation. I have a comic that is signed with a COA. I know it can't be verified by CGC, however do you think there is still value in having it graded and slabbed? Would you prefer that CGC graded/slabbed it over another company like CBCS/PGX (hopefully not taboo to ask here) that may certify signatures, or would you rather it just be raw?

I would say that "Name written on cover" typically doesn't lower a comic's grade. However, if it imprints into the cover it probably will impact in high grade.

I think that Qualified (green) labels for signatures with COA are fine CGC products. I personally have 0 interest in ever owning a PGX case. I don't respect their opinions on comics, and their products are just plain ugly. Voldemort (CBCS, typically not allowed to refer to them here for reasons unknown to me) cases and labels are okay, but, I have OCD and CGC is the gold standard in professional comic grading.

Hi, 

Sorry to jump in, but I have some questions:

1 - I don't get why some dealer/ facilitators can't submit my SS using my own CGC account. Is it something that the facilitator can do?

2 - Is there a way to bypass facilitators and submit SS only through my own account?

Thanks,

W.

16 hours ago, walterbraga33 said:

Hi, 

Sorry to jump in, but I have some questions:

1 - I don't get why some dealer/ facilitators can't submit my SS using my own CGC account. Is it something that the facilitator can do?

2 - Is there a way to bypass facilitators and submit SS only through my own account?

Thanks,

W.

1.  They could, but they just choose not to, either for administrative convenience, or so they can charge you an extra fee, or so they can keep their submission numbers up for whatever higher tier level they want to keep (or a combination of the above).  But its up to them (and they don't really owe us an explanation although it kinda sucks), and then ultimately up to you if you want to keep working with them.

2.  Yes, if you go to the show yourself and go to the CGC booth and grab a witness and have them go with you to witness the signature.  OR whine loudly enough to the facilitator, they might eventually give in (I've seen it work).  Or just work with facilitators who allow you to submit through your own account (they definitely exist!).

2 hours ago, theSkyVader said:

Hello everyone. Just a quick question.

If I submit a comic with a COA does that count? Can I get it approved? It was from J. SCOTT CAMPBELL website.

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, CGC won't accept a COA. All signatures need to be done in the presence of a CGC witness to qualify for a signature series label.

If you submitted your JSC book, it would get a green Qualified label with a note saying "name written on cover".

3 hours ago, Foley said:

Unfortunately, CGC won't accept a COA. All signatures need to be done in the presence of a CGC witness to qualify for a signature series label.

If you submitted your JSC book, it would get a green Qualified label with a note saying "name written on cover".

Thanks!!

Hi guys!

Can you help me? I'm from Hungary,Europe.I'm an artist and drawing sketch covers. Some of my clients would like to CGC my sketch covers. I'm not sure about this yellow or green label thing. So if I would be a paid member.(I'd like to buy the 149$ tier)

Than if I send my sketch cover,I pay everything  and include a creator agreement.Would I get the yellow label? I just ask,because I helped one of my client who is a CGC member.He paid everything and I filled that creator agreement. It was a success,It came back with 9.8 with yellow label. But there was an other client ,he was told that he can get just the green label.I asked CGC but I didn't get an answer.Thank you for your help..

20 hours ago, Clara Bujtor said:

Hi guys!

Can you help me? I'm from Hungary,Europe.I'm an artist and drawing sketch covers. Some of my clients would like to CGC my sketch covers. I'm not sure about this yellow or green label thing. So if I would be a paid member.(I'd like to buy the 149$ tier)

Than if I send my sketch cover,I pay everything  and include a creator agreement.Would I get the yellow label? I just ask,because I helped one of my client who is a CGC member.He paid everything and I filled that creator agreement. It was a success,It came back with 9.8 with yellow label. But there was an other client ,he was told that he can get just the green label.I asked CGC but I didn't get an answer.Thank you for your help..

I don't know the exact forms/process, but I found this older thread here- 

Otherwise, you'll probably find an answer if you ask in the Signature forum- https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/48-the-signature-room/

So I have an interesting problem and question for anyone who might have more experience with getting signatures witnessed by CGC. I went to New York Comic Con last month and purchased AMS #797 Third Printing/Comicxposure edition, with cover art by Clayton Crain. I went to Crain's booth with a CGC witness to have the book signed. There was also another CGC witness already manning Crain's booth for signatures. When I was getting the book signed, we all noticed that there was a second interior cover, and I asked if Crain could sign both the outside cover and the interior second cover. He said he yes, and both CGC witnesses watched as he signed both covers. They all told me that the double cover and double signature would likely increase the book's value. Anyway, the CGC witness who accompanied me to the booth signed the witness card and, I'm pretty sure, noted that the artist had signed both covers. I took the book, now enclosed and sealed in the CGC polybag with the witness card, back to the CGC booth to be submitted along with a few other books. I filled out the submission form and handed it to the CGC person to review and have it signed, etc. The CGC person looked everything over, including the witness card, filled out the rest of the submission form and said everything looked good and handed me my copy.

A month later, I received the slabbed book back, but instead of a gold label, it had the Signature Qualified Grade gold label with a green stripe! The notes said "Signed by Clayton Crain on 10/6/19" and "Name Written on Interior Cover in Marker"!! I was shocked. When I called CGC for an explanation, they told me that my submission form did not indicate that the book was signed on the interior cover by the artist. I was appalled. I told them that the submission form clearly indicated that the book had been signed by Clayton Crain and that no one - not the two CGC witnesses nor the CGC booth person - mentioned anything to me about having to make a special notation or write anything else on the submission form. All the CGC people who were there had seen exactly what happened with the double cover signatures and said everything about my submission was fine. CGC are supposed to be the professionals and I relied on them to get my book properly signed and witnessed. Shouldn't they be responsible for making sure that this book received the right label? So, do you guys think that this was my mistake and that CGC is right to give me the qualified label, or should they honor their responsibilities and correct their mistake? Thanks in advance for your honest feedback!