• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Hake's Bargains?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Damn! I am definitely gong to check out the next Hake's auction.

Anyone think the person who ended up with the Greg Hildebrandt painted Bettie Page cover got a deal?

https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/223321/BETTIE-PAGE-1-FRAMED-COMIC-BOOK-COVER-PAINTING-ORIGINAL-ART-BY-GREG-HILDEBRANDT

Someone also got a 70's Kirby Cap page (with Cap in costume) for under $4K.

https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/221868/JACK-KIRBY-CAPTAIN-AMERICA-ANNUAL-4-COMIC-BOOK-PAGE-ORIGINAL-ART

And, holy Hell, a really nice Aparo Batman title page (from the flagship "Batman," title, no less) for under $1400!

https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/221885/BATMAN-434-COMIC-BOOK-PAGE-ORIGINAL-ART-BY-JIM-APARO

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Damn! I am definitely gong to check out the next Hake's auction.

Anyone think the person who ended up with the Greg Hildebrandt painted Bettie Page cover got a deal?

https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/223321/BETTIE-PAGE-1-FRAMED-COMIC-BOOK-COVER-PAINTING-ORIGINAL-ART-BY-GREG-HILDEBRANDT

No....

7 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

With only one Bat panel, I personally wouldn't pay more than $600. Seems like they rode the recent Aparo wave a bit.

And it's also pretty late for an Aparo piece. I think his earlier stuff was better.

Everything was pretty much right in line with what we expected, with the lone shocking exception (from my POV) being the Alex Ross page from Marvels.  I thought for sure that would go for 7-8k but that was my best guess and I feel bad for the seller's sake because I was off with my initial estimate to him.  I do my best and it pisses me off when I miss.  I try really hard not to steer anybody the wrong way. 

I also expected the Kirby Cap page to hit 4k and I was prepared to go $4500 on it personally, but another comparable 70s Kirby Cap page sold in May for $3600.  The Romita Jr/Sr ASM page was a wildcard, too, as I figured it was a $4500 page but could go for anywhere in the $3500-6500 range.  The Feldstein recreation surprised me the other way at 6k when I thought it would go around 4k.  I figured $200k on the Frazetta covers, though I expected $125k and $75k and they instead ended up with both in the same general range.  I do feel it was a solid auction with accurate FMV pricing and it gave us another step towards our long-term goals.      

6 hours ago, 1Toy2Many said:

Everything was pretty much right in line with what we expected, with the lone shocking exception (from my POV) being the Alex Ross page from Marvels.  I thought for sure that would go for 7-8k but that was my best guess and I feel bad for the seller's sake because I was off with my initial estimate to him.  I do my best and it pisses me off when I miss.  I try really hard not to steer anybody the wrong way. 

I also expected the Kirby Cap page to hit 4k and I was prepared to go $4500 on it personally, but another comparable 70s Kirby Cap page sold in May for $3600.  The Romita Jr/Sr ASM page was a wildcard, too, as I figured it was a $4500 page but could go for anywhere in the $3500-6500 range.  The Feldstein recreation surprised me the other way at 6k when I thought it would go around 4k.  I figured $200k on the Frazetta covers, though I expected $125k and $75k and they instead ended up with both in the same general range.  I do feel it was a solid auction with accurate FMV pricing and it gave us another step towards our long-term goals.      

Congrats on the results. I am looking forward to either Peanuts artwork or Aurora model kits in your upcoming auctions :wishluck:

15 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Congrats on the results. I am looking forward to either Peanuts artwork or Aurora model kits in your upcoming auctions :wishluck:

Thank you much!  Truly appreciate it.  I almost pulled the trigger on the Cap Aurora model earlier this year but hesitated because I always get distracted by the OA.  I'm probably going to regret it one day.  As for Schulz art, we have a line on a few pieces and I expect we'll have some in the near future.  Our plan is to limit our art selection to keep it inline with the other sections/genres in the catalog, but Schulz Peanuts art is almost always eligible for inclusion at any time. 

46 minutes ago, 1Toy2Many said:

Thank you much!  Truly appreciate it.  I almost pulled the trigger on the Cap Aurora model earlier this year but hesitated because I always get distracted by the OA.  I'm probably going to regret it one day.  As for Schulz art, we have a line on a few pieces and I expect we'll have some in the near future.  Our plan is to limit our art selection to keep it inline with the other sections/genres in the catalog, but Schulz Peanuts art is almost always eligible for inclusion at any time. 

I picked up these three from Hakes auctions 

DF7A473E-6262-4C83-B524-95C94AB27BA8.jpeg