• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age book with Universal label and noted restoration in new holder
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I've looked at a lot of slabs over the last couple of years but I've never seen a restored Silver Age book with a universal label.  Is this an option for the invoice owner or label printing error.  I looked up the cert# and its noted as restored.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nick-Fury-Agent-of-SHIELD-1-CGC-8-0-White-Pages-READ-Description/302792538750?epid=85449578&hash=item467fd77a7e:g:IQgAAOSw48dbEaAb

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I remember getting the same Universal Label, 8.0 with CT on an early 10 cent SA book with a submission. I always assumed it was a mistake ?

You are correct. What probably happened is the book was entered into the system as a Universal (the most common designation for a Silver Age book, believe it or not). When the color touch was detected and noted, the Restored field either wasn't selected or it was selected, but didn't change from Universal to Restored. So the printer still printed the label as a beautiful Universal blue instead of a PLOD...

Edited by The Lions Den

7 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

You are correct. What probably happened is the book was entered into the system as a Universal (the most common designation for a Silver Age book, believe it or not). When the color touch was detected and noted, the Restored field either wasn't selected or it was selected, but didn't change from Universal to Restored. So the printer still printed the label as a beautiful Universal blue instead of a PLOD. Unfortunately, it also got right by the QC guy. This usually results in a public flogging and/or extended humiliation session guaranteed to make sure that it never happens again...  :devil:

Unless it's an interesting label error of some sort, I would never come on here to do a show and tell on a QC mistake. It's ridiculous to think CGC is not supposed to make any errors. They are great about rectifying their errors, which is the important thing.

47 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Unless it's an interesting label error of some sort, I would never come on here to do a show and tell on a QC mistake. It's ridiculous to think CGC is not supposed to make any errors. They are great about rectifying their errors, which is the important thing.

I collect interesting labeling errors when I run across them. I've seen several of this type of error (blue instead of purple) over the years. I don't own an example of this type of error because the individuals that have such for sale are always trying to get the unrestored price - or at least substantially more than the restored price - for their books. The OP's example of Nick Fury 1 CGC 8.0 at $135 is on the high side for an unrestored 8.0 

CGC is good about fixing such when brought to their attention. But you don't know what you don't know. The book pictured is in every way a restored book. Including it's census entry. But with a blue label. Once it leaves the building......

Edited by Tony S