• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anything be done.....
1 1

76 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jokiing said:

Thanks... I looked around Heritage a bit. Your suggestion to examine their achieves is a great idea and tool... will definitely look at that. Have you sold through Heritage and is that somewhere to bring anything other than high end books?

Yes and yes. There are 129s in the VG area previously sold by Heritage, you can find them in the archives. Heritage, Comiclink, Connect; all great alternatives to going the ebay route if you want the ease third party to handle your sales with complete peace of mind.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, jokiing said:

YIKES! You'd think he'd at least have the sense to stop at NM... that alone being a stretch.... at least the starting price will hopefully discourage newbies...and this guy sells comics for a living (at least on ebay)

Here's the link to my not even close to Near Mint ASM129

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183325907658

Hi Jokiing. Only recently have I been active on these boards; however, I have been collecting comics since the mid-70's. I have an ebay store and have been selling graded comics the last three years. In reading this entire thread, which no doubt is worth the read considering all perspectives, as a buyer and seller - you are on the mark IMO. You have three days left on this, 29 watchers and decent bid level right now. Full transparency, which you have shown will save you the heartache later of dealing with an unhappy customer.

On a lighter note, I learned quickly to be transparent about the darn Newton Rings because of unhappy customers. Every raw comic I sold with damaged showed great pics like you have and were well explained. Final bids were higher than expected and feedback was fantastic. Phew!

Good luck on your sale. 

Pretty disappointed to see long standing forum members saying to post the book and don't mention anything about the grade or the stain.  It is a sellers responsibility to detail what is wrong with the book and leads to the buyer returning a book.  It is on the seller to provide all details.  Not to say "I am not a professional grader".  That's such a cop out to say, "I know theres problems but I'm going to ignore them to try to make a few books".  I thought this community was better than that.  Glad to see the seller did the right thing by mentioning the stain and an approximate grade.

26 minutes ago, Eric C. said:

Pretty disappointed to see long standing forum members saying to post the book and don't mention anything about the grade or the stain.  It is a sellers responsibility to detail what is wrong with the book and leads to the buyer returning a book.  It is on the seller to provide all details.  Not to say "I am not a professional grader".  That's such a cop out to say, "I know theres problems but I'm going to ignore them to try to make a few books".  I thought this community was better than that.  Glad to see the seller did the right thing by mentioning the stain and an approximate grade.

I'm not sure what you thought you read but nobody, not one poster, suggested to not disclose the stain. Disclosure of the stain was always in play. The only 'debate' was to slab it or sell it raw. Regarding the grade, in this situation, it is difficult to ascertain. Ultimately, he did put a grade range. 

On 7/19/2018 at 2:56 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm not sure what you thought you read but nobody, not one poster, suggested to not disclose the stain. Disclosure of the stain was always in play. The only 'debate' was to slab it or sell it raw. Regarding the grade, in this situation, it is difficult to ascertain. Ultimately, he did put a grade range. 

Yes... full disclosure and description was always in play. I just wasn't sure what grade to give the book since, if not for the stain, it would grade much higher and probably warrant slabbing. As I mentioned, I hadn't graded a comic in a long time and the process and accuracy of pro grading (CGC) makes grading a bit more daunting..... These long standing forum members were very helpful and I was able to set a grade that I felt was the right choice.....

What you probably misunderstood was James throwing out hypothetical situations and being a bit sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek to make a point.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:31 PM, Acegraphix said:

Hi Jokiing. Only recently have I been active on these boards; however, I have been collecting comics since the mid-70's. I have an ebay store and have been selling graded comics the last three years. In reading this entire thread, which no doubt is worth the read considering all perspectives, as a buyer and seller - you are on the mark IMO. You have three days left on this, 29 watchers and decent bid level right now. Full transparency, which you have shown will save you the heartache later of dealing with an unhappy customer.

On a lighter note, I learned quickly to be transparent about the darn Newton Rings because of unhappy customers. Every raw comic I sold with damaged showed great pics like you have and were well explained. Final bids were higher than expected and feedback was fantastic. Phew!

Good luck on your sale. 

Thanks for your opinion and kind words... and educating me (indirectly) about Newton Rings. All of my future comic postings will surely have many pictures...I'm sure buyers appreciate the extra effort.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:09 PM, jokiing said:

Thanks for your opinion and kind words... and educating me (indirectly) about Newton Rings. All of my future comic postings will surely have many pictures...I'm sure buyers appreciate the extra effort.

WTG on your sale! Congrats!

On 7/21/2018 at 6:45 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Final Hammer of 651.00 !!! Well done. (thumbsu

Well.... It was too soon to start celebrating. Buyer didn't pay... not one word from him. Now comic is in limbo waiting for ebay to close case. Buyer sniped auction with 10 seconds to go... either he didn't read description or didn't expect the last bidder to bid up to $650.... or he was struck by lightning... who knows. (shrug) Anyway, will probably relist Sunday evening if anyone is interested to see the rerun....

Edited by jokiing
Spell check

32 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Well.... It was to soon to start celebrating. Buyer didn't pay... not one word from him. Now comic is in limbo waiting for ebay to close case. Buyer sniped auction with 10 seconds to go... either he didn't read description or didn't expect the last bidder to bid up to $650.... or he was struck by lightning... who knows. (shrug) Anyway, will probably relist Sunday evening if anyone is interested to see the rerun....

Can you reach out to the underbidder ?

16 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Can you reach out to the underbidder ?

I can once the case is closed but, although his high bid was $650, his bid over the third highest bid was $581., which is probably the second chance amount. Ebay's not very clear on that, but makes sense. I think I'll just have another run at auction... more fun.

3 hours ago, jokiing said:

I can once the case is closed but, although his high bid was $650, his bid over the third highest bid was $581., which is probably the second chance amount. Ebay's not very clear on that, but makes sense. I think I'll just have another run at auction... more fun.

Right on, man...and better luck the second time around!  (thumbsu