• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overstreet Goofs?

43 posts in this topic

I could be wrong but I think the uniforms are wrong for an oil fire and more like ones used with radiation.

I have the movie Hellfighters and I’m pretty sure nothing like that was in it and using Google I’m not seeing anything that looks like those radiation uniforms.

Anyone got something else?

1 minute ago, N e r V said:

I could be wrong but I think the uniforms are wrong for an oil fire and more like ones used with radiation.

I have the movie Hellfighters and I’m pretty sure nothing like that was in it and using Google I’m not seeing anything that looks like those radiation uniforms.

Anyone got something else?

The book is from the 1940s...how do we know what firemen wore for oil fires back then?

Just now, Tri-ColorBrian said:

The book is from the 1940s...how do we know what firemen wore for oil fires back then?

Like I said can’t say for sure but I’m guessing it’s unlikely they looked like that. But can’t say for 100%.

I found vintage oil firefighters from 1930s and 1940s in Google but none looked like those on cover. They clearly do look like radiation suits. Maybe blame the artist for confusion?

OK, let's try another one that should be a no-brainer...this cover is described in Overstreet as a "sci-fi robot cover".  These are NOT robots, they are spacemen (probably aliens).  Why?  Because robots do not have human torsos, hands, oxygen tanks, or wear clothes.  Those are space helmets, folks...not robots...:roflmao:

25384970558_1b01911a89_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

I don't know. I think the one guy surrounded by leaves looks robotic. Is there a story inside that's connected with the cover?

4 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I don't know. I think the one guy surrounded by leaves looks robotic. Is there a story inside that's connected with the cover?

I don't know...I haven't read it in over 10 years...LOL  But, that guy has a human torso and hands, loose fitting clothes, and some kind of breathing tubes and human eyes.  I'd say the odds of him being a robot are slim to none...

13 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

OK, let's try another one that should be a no-brainer...this cover is described in Overstreet as a "sci-fi robot cover".  These are NOT robots, they are spacemen (probably aliens).  Why?  Because robots do not have human torsos, hands, oxygen tanks, or wear clothes.  Those are space helmets, folks...not robots...:roflmao:

25384970558_1b01911a89_c.jpg

Spacemen, no doubt. Why would a robot need assistance in breathing? The red part of the suit flows too well for it to be covering a robotic form (I could MAYBE concede a cyborg....maybe!).

I don't know if this is still the case, but Overstreet listed Jackie Gleason as a title in 1948. Gleason was barely known in '48, and the books don't exist. But he still listed them every year.