• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I remember when

40 posts in this topic

I remember arguing with my cousin about who would win if so-and-so fought so-and-so, with exactly how it would be accomplished or, better still, a punch-for-punch account until the master/clever winning strike.  When we ranged outside our circle of friends, the real sophistos would argue about who would win between a Marvel character and one from the Distinguished Competition.

4 minutes ago, Tony D said:

I can remember looking for thrown away soda bottles to get the two cent deposit on five of them in order to buy a new ten cent comic.

Yes, definitely. Me too. Good times !

Did we ever reach a conclusion on the Cole Shave debacle ? AKA The Constanza Shrinkage mishap. I wonder if those books are still in the marketplace or they shriveled up and disappeared inside the slabs. Imagine going to your safety deposit box and seeing nothing but ash at the bottom of the slab. I suppose, as long as the slab was not opened, they were still 9.8's .

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

That is sad  :sorry:do you remember any particular valuable issues ?

I'm not sad I had my fun reading the issues over and over, I remember having in my hands all the first appearances of the Marvel characters, early DC editions EC comics 50's horror comics they were just comics. I would sit for hours copying the characters into my artist pad and giving them to friends and such, I used to be very good but like everything else you have to keep practising which I did not.  The only regret I have is not keeping the early Spider-man comics other than that I am quite happy with my comic collecting life.

On 7/21/2018 at 6:46 PM, jimjum12 said:

I remember when dealers at comic conventions had their books in cardboard boxes..... no bags and boards ….. and the price for the book was written in pencil on the back cover.... usually less than 10 dollars. You also had to keep them organized and out of sight at home, or your Mom would throw them away. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I wish I could say I remember those days, but I never participated in that. What I can say is that now I'm dry cleaning most of those prices off the back covers. LOL

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If they would only 'loosen up' the sides of the case a little we could utilize the old trick of sticking an envelope in there. It would remove the Newton Rings everytime. 

On 7/14/2018 at 4:35 AM, Cocomonkey said:

Image result for member berries meme

Some of the best South Park episodes ever!

On 7/30/2018 at 5:21 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i remember that i quit buying comics as a kid because the cover price went from 30 cents to 35 cents and that was just the last straw lol 

same here although it was the jump from 35 cents to 40 that was just ridiculous to me. I mean they were 25 cent each when I started and within 3 years almost doubled in price! that is pretty crazy. Years later I saw some books and saw the cover price at that time was at 2 bucks or something and I was shocked. I feel lucky to have been involved before the major changes in distribution and production (and some might include quality).

Then again-- I think candy bars went from 10 cents to 35 cents during that same time. Maybe it was mostly inflation.

Edited by 01TheDude

On 7/22/2018 at 2:46 AM, jimjum12 said:

the price for the book was written in pencil on the back cover

17 hours ago, MastrCntrlProgram said:

I wish I could say I remember those days, but I never participated in that. What I can say is that now I'm dry cleaning most of those prices off the back covers. LOL

Wouldn't work for the first imported cent copies I bought from a local bookshop here in the UK, when I started collecting seriously in 1977.  The prices were gouged into the back cover in hard lead pencil, so aggressively that it negated the point of using 'removable' pencil in the first place.  Maybe a good pressing would work instead? 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/6/2018 at 11:14 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Wouldn't work for the first imported cent copies I bought from a local bookshop here in the UK, when I started collecting seriously in 1977.  The prices were gouged into the back cover in hard lead pencil, so aggressively that it negated the point of using 'removable' pencil in the first place.  Maybe a good pressing would work instead? 

We can remove writing indentations, but only trial would reveal if the lead would come off completely. I seem to remember some sever lead imprints leaving a trace. There are impression removal examples on our site.

Edited by MastrCntrlProgram

I used to run into these price markings when I would buy books from this guy selling out of his trunk at the local flea market (I-80 and Harlem Ave in south suburbs of Chicago).

I carefully erased some of them with a regular soft eraser but was then told this is actually considered restoration so I stopped bothering. Most of the marks on my books though were lightly written on the back.  didn't think I was doing anything terrible by erasing them but better to be on the safe side I suppose.