• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1! To restore or not to restore?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! 

I just got this Superman 1 a few weeks back and I was trying to get some advice on what you guys think. Some people I know have told me I should get it restored while my own personal feeling is to leave it as is. 

Be aware I have nothing against restoration but I find this .5 complete copy more appealing then a restored copy given that there are only 52 unrestored copies in the cenus out of the 142 that are graded. 

"what would you do of it was yours"? 

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180628185128486_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180628185031705_COVER.jpg

Personally, I'm about aesthetics, and I would probably get it restored. But it's wonderful as it is, and I'm sure most other boardies will say to keep it unrestored.

That blue label .5 is more appealing than a purple 1.0 or 1.5 or 1.8 .... just my opinion.  

Pictured below are my 2 grails (can't afford a high grade, but surely enjoy having these) both are .5 and I would rather have these blue labeled than a 1.0 purple any day. The blue label low grade keys are pure, has character, is untouched, untainted, and has a special visual appeal. It's your book and you can have it restored if you'd like to improve the appearance. 

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

Edited by Haupia

1 hour ago, rcouto said:

Hey everyone! 

I just got this Superman 1 a few weeks back and I was trying to get some advice on what you guys think. Some people I know have told me I should get it restored while my own personal feeling is to leave it as is. 

Be aware I have nothing against restoration but I find this .5 complete copy more appealing then a restored copy given that there are only 52 unrestored copies in the cenus out of the 142 that are graded. 

Thank you

You already know what you're gonna do, and just want some reinforcement for your decision; 

I find this .5 complete copy more appealing then a restored copy

I would restore that 0.5. You would never be able to crack the slab and read the book. Also, as already mentioned eye appeal would be so much more compensated. In terms of value not sure that much difference between a 0.5 such as yours and a 6.0 EP for example.

Edited by Gotham Kid

It's in the slab, so it won't get any worse..... it still looks basically complete.... I'd leave it be...… unless....I wanted copy I could handle, then restoration would be the responsible thing to do. I might feel differently if it were something other than a Superman 1. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Keep it as is.   I think there is something to be said about comics through their condition, from a rip, to a tear, to the person's name written on the cover.  Superman #1 has been reprinted enough that if you want a copy to read or hold, go for the reprint.   From your post you make it seem like that there are more restored copies than unrestored, so your copy is rarer. 

I wouldn't change it.

I personally love beater copies, but you also have to think about preservation.  Yes, right now restoration is frowned upon, but that book is in bad shape.  Restoration will make it more solid, and possibly survive longer for future generations to enjoy.

It's your book, and if you don't want to sell it anytime soon, RESTORE IT!!!

Edited by D84

The book is safe as it is...the beauty of keeping it unrestored with all its nicks and tears is a reflection of the book's story. Plus the value of the book would only drop with it being restored. The book has some way to go (decades) before (if ever) needs some professional care. It just won't be the same restored. And it doesn't make financial or aesthetic sense to make it so. But hey , its your book.

9 hours ago, rcouto said:

Hey everyone! 

Thank you

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180628185031705_COVER.jpg

Here is a picture of the book back in the day years ago. The book looks the same now than it did way back than.

comicshow.jpg

Superman-1.....jpg

3 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

What an awesome problem to have!

I'd keep it as-is personally. It has a lot of character, something I personally feel restored books often lack. Especially those that are brought up to fine + grading standards.

I agree, I would keep it raw and look at buying a restored copy.  It would definitely be an extensively restored book if you go that rout.

Owing any copy of Superman #1 is a dream that the majority of collectors will never fulfil. So if owing a copy is on your 'must have' list, you've achieved a rare feat and can be happy.

If you are personally happy with restored books - many are not - you have that option if you can afford it. Or, you could save the money you'd spend on resto and trade this up for a better copy, again if you can afford it.

There are no right or wrong answers - only what you desire to do, and can afford to do.

Personally, I'd leave it as is and brag at every opportunity that I had it. But if I could afford it, I'd try for a more visually pleasing copy. Or buy a car.

8 hours ago, woowoo said:

Here is a picture of the book back in the day years ago. The book looks the same now than it did way back than.

comicshow.jpg

Superman-1.....jpg

This is so cool!!! Thanks for sharing.