• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1! To restore or not to restore?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Thank you all for you comments and opinions! 

A genuine concern of mine was the overall state of the book overtime and some good points were made in regards to doing some restoration work later if need be and that's something that I may do. I agree with how the current condition gives the book some character and like many have pointed out a supes 1 is great to have in any shape. Most likely I'll be taking a trip down to Sarasota and do a walk-through and have the book reslabbed in one of those shiny new holders and that will suffice for now. 

4 hours ago, rcouto said:

Thank you all for you comments and opinions! 

A genuine concern of mine was the overall state of the book overtime and some good points were made in regards to doing some restoration work later if need be and that's something that I may do. I agree with how the current condition gives the book some character and like many have pointed out a supes 1 is great to have in any shape. Most likely I'll be taking a trip down to Sarasota and do a walk-through and have the book reslabbed in one of those shiny new holders and that will suffice for now. 

Just sell me the book and save the trouble :takeit::whee:

23 hours ago, rcouto said:

Hey everyone! 

I just got this Superman 1 a few weeks back and I was trying to get some advice on what you guys think. Some people I know have told me I should get it restored while my own personal feeling is to leave it as is. 

Be aware I have nothing against restoration but I find this .5 complete copy more appealing then a restored copy given that there are only 52 unrestored copies in the cenus out of the 142 that are graded. 

"what would you do of it was yours"? 

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180628185128486_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180628185031705_COVER.jpg

How did you even come across this? Where does one find this book???!!

Edited by LDarkseid1

19 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

It's in the slab, so it won't get any worse..... it still looks basically complete.... I'd leave it be...… unless....I wanted copy I could handle, then restoration would be the responsible thing to do. I might feel differently if it were something other than a Superman 1. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

You see, this is what I take issue with. I have found numerous examples of books getting worse in the slab...I sold a 7.0 Iron Man # 1 to a friend.

He cracked it out, and the spine completely split - it does happen.

Unless there’s a defect that prevents you from enjoying the book I don’t see why you’d do anything .  Like maybe if there’s still tape on the cover you could get that off and then leave it be.  

If kept in good environment and not bumped around the condition shouldn’t change.  Unless you need to sell or something soon I’d say just leave it as is.  What an awesome book!

The problem I see is that any restoration worth doing would be major, sending it into the Extensive range, which personally borders on re-creation for me. OTOH, it's beat to the point that I'd have a hard time not wishing it looked better every time I held it , so on a purely aesthetic level I can see the desire to restore. 

I'll leave it others to opine on the relative values of unrestored vs. restored and costs involved, as well as ease of resale potential for either, but neither that ragged a copy nor extensive restoration appeal much to me, so I'd probably just leave it alone out of sheer laziness. 

26 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Book is hardly restorable to EP 6.0

more likely 2.0

Very doable. I suggest you check out a couple resto threads where Kenny (CCS) sheds light on his techniques and final output.

Edited by Gotham Kid

I have a book in restoration going on 3 years now.  I won't do it again.

Its a fav book, and I do respect the work and skill of the restorers.  But given the time, expense and complete lack of appreciation for restoration by the comic collecting community, I just don't think its worth it.

Edited by path4play