• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IN Fantastic Four 5

19 posts in this topic

I suspect the cover may be detached, otherwise why did they put tape there ? I definitely see a spine split at the bottom. Difficult to grade without having the book in hand and seeing what the tape is actually doing.  I'm curious what the owner thinks Joey can possibly do to improve this book ? The BC is actually not too 'dirty'. I would be afraid of dry cleaning anywhere near that spine. The whole book looks fragile. Assuming the tape is holding something together, I'm at 2.0 .

21 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I suspect the cover may be detached, otherwise why did they put tape there ? I definitely see a spine split at the bottom. Difficult to grade without having the book in hand and seeing what the tape is actually doing.  I'm curious what the owner thinks Joey can possibly do to improve this book ? The BC is actually not too 'dirty'. I would be afraid of dry cleaning anywhere near that spine. The whole book looks fragile. Assuming the tape is holding something together, I'm at 2.0 .

A valid question about the tape, BB. I once purchased a collection where many of the books were in Near Mint condition, except someone had placed a 1" piece of tape on the upper and lower spine of nearly every book. Of course, this minor detail was never disclosed by the seller... lol 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

A valid question about the tape, BB. I once purchased a collection where many of the books were in Near Mint condition, except someone had placed a 1" piece of tape on the upper and lower spine of nearly every book. Of course, this minor detail was never disclosed by the seller... lol 

Ouch! I read about that collector that did that to all of his comics as a preventative measure. Maybe I'll do that to all of mine! :bigsmile: I'll crack open one of these collector item poly bags of  X-Force #1 and start with it since it's going to be worth thousands of dollars any day now! :flipbait: (wow that's big)

On 11/2/2018 at 11:19 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

AM I seeing a slight spine realignment from the original raw book ? 

Looks like It slightly... don’t see quite as much red border on the left of the word balloon.  If this was done intentionally by the presser it looks pretty smart.  It helps obscure all that spine damage to wrap it around the edge. 

On 7/16/2018 at 4:06 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

# 11

Impressive.  The pressed and slabbed book looks significantly better than then raw scan.  I'm not sure if it's the optics from the slab or the lighting, but it actually looks like several of the smaller faint color breaking creases on the front cover (the red F in Fantastic, doctor doom's face, the blue balloon "meet Doctor Doom", and the right cover edge) have actually decreased or disappeared. I know pressing does not actually help color break, but I wonder if the pressing process actually presses some of the colored fibers into the nearby color broken areas.  Intentional or not, the spine definitely looks realigned with less of the severe spine wear visible from the front.  In the raw scan you can clearly see the staples and in the slab you can't, but maybe that's the viewing angle.  Either way, i'm blown away.  I had the raw at a 3.0 with no room for improvement.  Brilliant work!

Edited by davet75