• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extra Staple in Amazing Adventures #12?

3 posts in this topic

I have an Amazing Adventures #12 which appears to have been read very carefully, if it was read at all, which except for a few staple-related issues is probably about a 9.0.  First staple issue: The top staple is popped, but that is not what this post is about, though it could be related to the other staple issue.  Second staple issue:  There are two bottom staples, and I am curious whether they are both from the original binding of the book.  One bottom staple goes through the cover to the center fold as per usual, except it is a staple-length further from the bottom than the top staple is from the top.  The other bottom staple does not go through the cover at all and is directly below the other bottom staple.  There does not seem to be any reason to put in the lower staple, which is not even through the cover, after the fact, since the upper bottom staple appears to be normal, except for the placement.  I am therefore thinking that the lower staple was put in defectively first (not through the cover, not sure how that would happen), then the second staple was put in right above it.  Unless, of course, it was done after the manufacturing process by who knows who.  My interest in this is not grade or value related, but rather in learning about the manufacturing of the book.

20180714_114505.jpg

20180714_114614.jpg

20180714_114727.jpg

That is most likely manufacturing. I've not seen this defect with a single extra staple the copies I've seen had two extra staples. One set of staples that are just in the interior pages, one set that attach the cover to the book.   But it usually looks like this. 

I've sent in several books with the  manufacture added staples. The extra staples were noted on the label but it didn't appear to be having any significant affect on the grade. But each time I have crossed my fingers hoping it was in fact manufactured that way and not something else. 

On 7/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, Tony S said:

That is most likely manufacturing. I've not seen this defect with a single extra staple the copies I've seen had two extra staples. One set of staples that are just in the interior pages, one set that attach the cover to the book.   But it usually looks like this. 

I've sent in several books with the  manufacture added staples. The extra staples were noted on the label but it didn't appear to be having any significant affect on the grade. But each time I have crossed my fingers hoping it was in fact manufactured that way and not something else. 

Thank you for the input.  It was very instructive.  Based on your reply I looked closely at the top staple, and there are, in fact, two staples there, right on top of each other (see pic).  Probably explains why the staple(s) popped.  Thanks again.

20180723_214110[1].jpg