• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there anything More Terrifying than doing a page count on a Warren Magazine?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I page count any new books I buy, usually it's just a formality, I don't expect any problems. Sure, the period that Marvel had the Marvel Value Stamps gets me a little anxious, but cutouts have been few and far between. That brings me to the Warren line of Magazines. It's terrifying to go through the book and reach the ad section in the back. Is it just me? I seriously come across cutouts in Warren Mags about 10 times more often than any other book, that's after emailing seller and asking about cut outs. They never look, just the standard canned reply about being original owner , no cut outs.

That brings me to today. Picked up a really sharp looking run of early Eeries off of Ebay, much nicer than the "Very Good condition" advertised. I could tell they were nicer and that seller was probably using "very good" as a generic description. So I'm doing my page counts and starting to get anxious, so far I have 4 with cutouts, out of 20 books. I was half going through them at the beginning until I started hitting the cut outs, now I'm going to have to recheck the earlier books. My problem is, the issue #s 2-12 are really really nice, it was some of the later books that have the cut outs. I'm still extremely happy with price paid, even though no mention was made of cut outs.

Do you just let it slide in this case, or try to get a discount from seller? If he wanted me to return the books for a full refund I wouldn't do it. In the true sense of the word, the books are much better than "very good" even with the cutouts fro some of the less valuable books.

AAArrrghhh!!

Why just Warren books, I never have this problem with Marvels Magazine Line. Maybe the Warren Ad section was just too cool to ignore.

1 minute ago, wombat said:

Patient: It hurts when I lift my arm. 

Doctor: Don't lift your arm. 

Lol

Truthfully, sometimes I'll go through the story pages and stop for a break when I reach the ads. Then when I start back up I can just feel the anxiety build up to the last few pages. That last page flip is just excruciating.

Congratulations on getting a nice run of the early Eerie mags! Sorry some of the later ones had coupons clipped. 

My theory with this is that because many of the Warren mags had lots of ads and elevated page counts, the possibility of having coupons clipped is much more likely. I know when I was a kid, I didn't think twice about clipping the coupon out of a magazine. I never thought about it diminishing the value of the book.

In this situation, I would contact the seller and let them know that some of the mags are incomplete, and then tactfully approach the idea of a discount. Be polite but firm---you definitely have a right to ask. Generally, a seller will want to make things right with you. And even if they don't go for it, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask, right?  

Good luck and enjoy your nice acquisition!  :golfclap: 

I do the same thing, and has been tough to see a  nice looking book have some ads cut out. I look at it as it's the nature of the beast with Warrens, if an ad is cut out I just look for a new book with the ads.

The one thing about Warren books that I found is there are a ton of VG to Fine books, but not a lot of NM books. 

There's also the stigma of the Warren warehouse books that are supposedly keeping books prices down, but those books were all VG to Fine books.  So in my opinion true high grade examples are really not as easy to come by.

Edited by oakman29

It is rare for me to acquire Warren/Marvel magazines (sometimes different publications) that come with comic books lot.  I intend to buy the lot in high grade but those magazines are almost always in crappy condition. Most of them have water damages/color loss/ink transfer/sticken paper from other magazine/strong odor/heavy crumpled surfaces/heavy crease-tears.  With those all in the sh**ty condition, ironically, I didn't see any cutouts in those magazines for 20 years!  I should have kept them all for the replacements but they were too ugly or smelly to be kept.

18 hours ago, boomtown said:

Lol

Truthfully, sometimes I'll go through the story pages and stop for a break when I reach the ads. Then when I start back up I can just feel the anxiety build up to the last few pages. That last page flip is just excruciating.

You need a beer to soothe anxiety.