• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worlds finest 3 or detective 73 ?

55 posts in this topic

I've been trying to find a decent copy of 73 for a few years, the budget and availability haven't synced up just yet.  Have a 5.5 blue WF3, it's painful to think I'll have to pay FAR more for the 2nd appearance than I did the first. 

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

I wish people cared as much as what's inside the comic as they do what's on the outside.

What is this inside you speak of ?  Actually the story in WF3 is great. I first read it in the purple covered Batman treasury which set me off to get that book then I saw a picture of Detective 73 and decided I wanted it more. Jerry Robinson cover, nuff said. 

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

What is this inside you speak of ?  Actually the story in WF3 is great. I first read it in the purple covered Batman treasury which set me off to get that book then I saw a picture of Detective 73 and decided I wanted it more. Jerry Robinson cover, nuff said. 

I don't generally like reprints these days, I really like reading the story in the original edition if at all possible. There's also the question of back up features. I'd rather look at an early Superman story and the other assorted features in the WF then Slam Bradley and the Crimson Avenger. I like seeing the original ads and the historical context of the book. I like the square binding. And yeah, I like the cover. Reprints and permanently slabbed books keep these things(except for the cover) from the collector. 

I had nice copies of both about 10 years ago and wish I would have kept them. :(

Edited by Larryw7

19 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I don't generally like reprints these days, I really like reading the story in the original edition if at all possible. There's also the question of back up features. I'd rather look at an early Superman story and the other assorted features in the WF then Slam Bradley and the Crimson Avenger. I like seeing the original ads and the historical context of the book. I like the square binding. And yeah, I like the cover. Reprints and permanently slabbed books keep these things(except for the cover) from the collector. 

I had nice copies of both about 10 years ago and wish I would have kept them. :(

I put my 73 up for sale on CLInk a while back for $3500. Didn’t even get an offer. My how times have changed. 

On 7/15/2018 at 12:16 AM, Jking3437 said:

I know Wf3 is the first appearance of the scarecrow, and detective 73 is the only golden age cover, but what book has more value or is more sought after. I can’t really get behind the cover of WF3, Batman robin and Superman playing baseball. Detective 73 giant scarecrow. 

I have the Batman 189 , and I’m debating getting one of these 2, just want to hear some opinions. Leaning towards tec 73 only because the cover 

Or should I just see if I can snag an all American comics 61, would rather have that over showcase 55 

Tec 73 if you are keeping it in a slab.  WF 3 if raw and the first appearance is what really appeals to you.

I know this is necro'ing an old thread, but it is 100% on topic and relevant. Detective #73 was always a dream of mine to own because of it featuring Scarecrow (though the story wasn't that great), and I could never get behind spending so much for a copy of World's Finest #3 due to the cover (but it was a 1st appearance AND the story was really good)...so....I just recently found the solution in a very nice condition coverless copy for super cheap.

Here and for the first time ever, a PREVIEW (some sneaky shots from my phone off my computer monitor after colouring) of my copy of World's Finest #3...featuring a brand new, golden age matching cover which features the Scarecrow.
It is being printed right now (matching golden age paper stock...a fun and challenging hobby in of itself) and I will show off the full final art (front and back) once I reattach it to the book (comic restoration has lead me to this, thanks to Mike at hero restoration for all his help with questions and getting me interested in that aspect of the comic hobby)

I will now leave you with the FEAR of anticipation!

WF3-PREVIEW.thumb.jpg.b37b663ab1883d4e03eb54b2cbef82d3.jpg

Also if anyone knows the EXACT paper weight used on these early cardboard issues let me know (the first print run is going on random 70lbs golden age stock paper, but that is just a test run so I can confirm sizing and colouring - going to the print shop Monday to view more cardboard samples they got in to replicate it)

37 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

I know this is necro'ing an old thread, but it is 100% on topic and relevant. Detective #73 was always a dream of mine to own because of it featuring Scarecrow (though the story wasn't that great), and I could never get behind spending so much for a copy of World's Finest #3 due to the cover (but it was a 1st appearance AND the story was really good)...so....I just recently found the solution in a very nice condition coverless copy for super cheap.

Here and for the first time ever, a PREVIEW (some sneaky shots from my phone off my computer monitor after colouring) of my copy of World's Finest #3...featuring a brand new, golden age matching cover which features the Scarecrow.
It is being printed right now (matching golden age paper stock...a fun and challenging hobby in of itself) and I will show off the full final art (front and back) once I reattach it to the book (comic restoration has lead me to this, thanks to Mike at hero restoration for all his help with questions and getting me interested in that aspect of the comic hobby)

Not too sure why Batman has a smile on his face while Robin looks shocked  (shrug)

13 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Not too sure why Batman has a smile on his face while Robin looks shocked  (shrug)

The smile was to be in keeping of all the World's Finest covers with them always being happy and smiling, and of course Batman would be happy about it "OH BOY, ANOTHER VILLAIN TO BRING TO JUSTICE!" while Robin would be the first to be shocked :D  (Superman not shown yet, but he is between surprised and just generally annoyed to having his day interrupted)

4 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Also if anyone knows the EXACT paper weight used on these early cardboard issues let me know (the first print run is going on random 70lbs golden age stock paper, but that is just a test run so I can confirm sizing and colouring - going to the print shop Monday to view more cardboard samples they got in to replicate it)

Can't imagine you could exactly replicate paper stock from 80 years ago; surely the composition and processes to make the paper have changed?

11 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Can't imagine you could exactly replicate paper stock from 80 years ago; surely the composition and processes to make the paper have changed?

For sure, next to impossible (save for finding an original batch that be given to a printers) but what I mean is you can find paper that matches the paper weight, gloss, and other properties fairly close. I've been able to match other golden age paper fairly well (such as for my cover-less Zip comics issues, which requires a 70lbs stock). Its the weight I don't have the exact measurement for on these special 'cardboard' covers (but honestly that is fairly easy to figure out with enough samples on hand, which i'll do this Monday).

The other factor is printing - this cover will be digitally printed for now due to cost (and since this is just a casual project), but I have made the file ready so it can be properly done via four color process printing as it was done back then :D (the trick is knowing what values each company used back then and HOW they used it for each series, for example DC would never use anything other than 100% Yellow whereas the other color values could have different percents of value for the covers)

Edited by Sauce Dog

19 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

That's great! I can't wait to see the completed image.