• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worlds finest 3 or detective 73 ?

55 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2018 at 11:16 PM, Jking3437 said:

I know Wf3 is the first appearance of the scarecrow, and detective 73 is the only golden age cover, but what book has more value or is more sought after. I can’t really get behind the cover of WF3, Batman robin and Superman playing baseball. Detective 73 giant scarecrow. 

Depends if I am approaching it from a collector's point of view or an investor's point of view.  hm

From a pure collector's point of view, I would tend to go with the WF 3 as I've always loved the 100 pager squarebound books with the cardboard covers.  :luhv:  As an investor though or buying for eventual resale, I would have to say the 'Tec 73 as the pure Bat books tend to have much more upside and in today's slabbed market, it's also really about the cover.  It's also pretty obvious which one of the 2 books here has the much better cover, although I will admit the 'Tec 73 is already priced right up there in the stratosphere.   :blush:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/14/2018 at 11:16 PM, Jking3437 said:

Or should I just see if I can snag an all American comics 61, would rather have that over showcase 55 

I believe you've already answered your own question here as I personally think the AA 61 with the origin and first appearance of Solomon Grundy is head and shoulders above the other 3 books you are talking about here.  (thumbsu

Especially when you add in the classic Solomon Grundy cover for AA 61 which was listed in the Heritage voting poll as one of the top GA covers of all time.  :cloud9:

On 11/8/2019 at 5:28 PM, Sauce Dog said:

For sure, next to impossible (save for finding an original batch that be given to a printers) but what I mean is you can find paper that matches the paper weight, gloss, and other properties fairly close. I've been able to match other golden age paper fairly well (such as for my cover-less Zip comics issues, which requires a 70lbs stock). Its the weight I don't have the exact measurement for on these special 'cardboard' covers (but honestly that is fairly easy to figure out with enough samples on hand, which i'll do this Monday).

The other factor is printing - this cover will be digitally printed for now due to cost (and since this is just a casual project), but I have made the file ready so it can be properly done via four color process printing as it was done back then :D (the trick is knowing what values each company used back then and HOW they used it for each series, for example DC would never use anything other than 100% Yellow whereas the other color values could have different percents of value for the covers)

Interesting; can you find old color proofs on line that would give you clues as to the color percentages used in that era?

55 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Interesting; can you find old color proofs on line that would give you clues as to the color percentages used in that era?

Most were very standard across the board and while some did have some specific rules (like DC, for whatever reason as I cannot verify WHY they did what they did back then), it really just takes having lots of samples available from one publisher/title to see how the colors were being used (World's Finest / World's best are actually very good examples to learn from due to the simplicity of the color usage so long as you know the issue with the yellow printing plate). I'll have to scour my notes to see if I have any other specifics (I am only recalling the DC issue right now because it's the only cover i've been looking to reproduce recently, though up next is a Mystic comics cover)

16 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Most were very standard across the board and while some did have some specific rules (like DC, for whatever reason as I cannot verify WHY they did what they did back then), it really just takes having lots of samples available from one publisher/title to see how the colors were being used (World's Finest / World's best are actually very good examples to learn from due to the simplicity of the color usage so long as you know the issue with the yellow printing plate). I'll have to scour my notes to see if I have any other specifics (I am only recalling the DC issue right now because it's the only cover i've been looking to reproduce recently, though up next is a Mystic comics cover)

I have a World's Finest 10 with a great yellow cover. This is a title that is a bit underappreciated considering the variety and contents.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

7 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I have a World's Finest 10 with a great yellow cover. This is a title that is a bit underappreciated considering the variety and contents.

Yup, it certainly is. I'm always a fan of covers that have a large vivid solid color (Especially 100% screen of red or yellow)

2 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:
2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

This is a title that is a bit underappreciated considering the variety and contents.

Yup, it certainly is.

+2

I would have to say that this title is a whole lot underappreciated.  (thumbsu

I imagine it's all to do with those rather lame and comical covers which DC was notorious for with some of their GA titles.  :p

From a strict visual appearance point of view, I am surprsied there is only a miniscule difference in grade of only 0.2 between that 'Tec 73 and this 'Tec 38:

det1.11113a.jpg

det1.11113b.jpg

From a purely condition point of view, the visual difference between the 2 books would appear to be much more significantly different than what the assigned grades would otherwise suggest.  Then again, that's just my own personal point of view as I am certainly not a professional grader in any sense of the word.  (shrug)

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

From a strict visual appearance point of view, I am surprsied there is only a miniscule difference in grade of only 0.2 between that 'Tec 73 and this 'Tec 38:

det1.11113a.jpg

det1.11113b.jpg

From a purely condition point of view, the visual difference between the 2 books would appear to be much more significantly different than what the assigned grades would otherwise suggest.  Then again, that's just my own personal point of view as I am certainly not a professional grader in any sense of the word.  (shrug)

To each there own I guess. I know many collectors that would prefer a poorer visual versus a copy with brittle pages. Everyone has their preferences. I have a few 2.0 books myself that have brittle pages that present very well. I believe that at brittle, you start taking a hit on the grade of the book.

Also I just got this book and didn't really try and put it in the most flattering manner since its not for sale and looks great in person to me. In person I find the colors on my copy really pop for a 1.8 book

23 hours ago, Rezin1234 said:

To each there own I guess. I know many collectors that would prefer a poorer visual versus a copy with brittle pages. Everyone has their preferences. I have a few 2.0 books myself that have brittle pages that present very well. I believe that at brittle, you start taking a hit on the grade of the book.

+1

I believe you might be 100% correct when it comes to the case of Brittle pages.  (thumbsu

Although I have always assumed that the PQ does not signifcantly factor into the final grade of a book since it is clearly a separate indicator of the book's condition level, I guess a book with Brittle pages does tend to knock the final grade down quite a few notches.  (shrug)