• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Book Alert!!

37 posts in this topic

Ugh. This is the worst.

I sold my copy of Gold Key Star Trek #9 CGC SS 8.0 signed by Nimoy and Shatner on eBay. I purchased it on ebay not long ago with three others, but my financial situation turned a bit so I've been selling them off.

The buyer immediately asked for a refund. The book returned to me was a hardback memoir called "Leonard" written by William Shatner.

**I am not accusing anyone of anything*** but whatever happened, the book is gone. Please let me know if you see it for sale anywhere. It was sent from Northern California to New Jersey. Thanks. :(

StolenTrekComic.1.jpg

Edited by J2

22 minutes ago, J2 said:

Ugh. This is the worst.

I sold my copy of Gold Key Star Trek #9 CGC SS 8.0 signed by Nimoy and Shatner on eBay. I purchased it on ebay not long ago with three others, but my financial situation turned a bit so I've been selling them off.

The buyer immediately asked for a refund. The book returned to me was a hardback memoir called "Leonard" written by William Shatner.

**I am not accusing anyone of anything*** but whatever happened, the book is gone. Please let me know if you see it for sale anywhere. It was sent from Northern California to New Jersey. Thanks. :(

StolenTrekComic.1.jpg

Call eBay Fraud Team and your local police to report the thief/fraud.  The buyer paid you. Don't give the refund back. You have the evidence.

Edited by JollyComics

6 hours ago, J2 said:

Ugh. This is the worst.

StolenTrekComic.1.jpg

I am in Northern California Santa Rosa area I will keep a look out.(thumbsu

I would register this book in a registry set.  This way, if someone comes along and tries to register it in their set, it will show as belonging to another person's set.  CGC will send the original set owner a message that someone else is trying to register it.  May help track it down.

I did this with a Revival #1 that was stolen off my porch.  Still waiting for someone to try and register it.  Not hopeful on it as it has been several years.

This is the type of stuff that makes E-bay a garbage can..a few rotten apples gaming the system, it just make sense, use Ha, CC, CL auctions and let them bear the risk. sorry for your loss, I will be at SDCC and key an eye out this week.

Edited by Mmehdy

I would also report the theft to the local police from the buyer's area and postmaster general for fraud. If you saved your receipt, the difference in weight from the package you sent to the one you received may be good evidence in your favor with them, ebay and paypal. Having gone through something similar, having this evidence helped my case work out for the best. Hope yours does too. 

Have you contacted the buyer about his return? Is it possible he returned or shipped a couple of items, and put the wrong addresses on the boxes?  Best of luck in getting your correct book back. 

That really sucks. :sorry:

How long ago did you sell it ? 

I have Nimoy CGC saved as a search and have not seen this?  

Has this book been missing more than six months? 

The bait and switch scam has long been a problem on eBay.  Granted I haven't heard it quite this bad.

So let me get this straight when the buyer opened up a dispute against you the funds in your PayPal account immediately went on hold, correct?
Then he or she uploads the bogus tracking information for the hardcover inside... 
Upon the hardcover being delivered, the funds that were on hold were automatically sent back to the buyer...

Interpreting the situation this way, the buyer has committed mail fraud and depending on if the parcel crossed state lines it could be on more than one count.

Have you tried googling or running a search using the buyers supplied personal contact information to see who/what you are dealing with?

You should carefully explain to PayPal what's gone on and how you are the victim of a scam.  PayPal should side in your favor because as a general rule one of the two parties in their resolution disputes can't have it all -that is both the money and the item at the same time.  In this case, the buyer now has both the comic you sold him and the money that was returned to him for the price he paid for the book which is still in his possession.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:51 AM, jason4 said:

Ebay will side with the buyer. The buyer can just say you sent the wrong book. Buyers have all the power and it sucks on Ebay how easy it is to do this. Sorry about your book.

This is what I explained in another section, another thread. The buyer isn't simply always right, ebay empowers buyers with what amounts to diplomatic immunity.

1 hour ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Interpreting the situation this way, the buyer has committed mail fraud and depending on if the parcel crossed state lines it could be on more than one count.

You should carefully explain to PayPal what's gone on and how you are the victim of a scam.  PayPal should side in your favor because as a general rule one of the two parties in their resolution disputes can't have it all -that is both the money and the item at the same time.  In this case, the buyer now has both the comic you sold him and the money that was returned to him for the price he paid for the book which is still in his possession.

As Denzel once so aptly put it -- "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."  Both eBay and PayPal can quickly counter OP's assertion with "well how do we KNOW that you REALLY sent the book you're claiming that the buyer stole.  Maybe you really are the scammer, and YOU sent that hardcover to start with..."  In a situation like this, probably the only foolproof way for a seller to prove that he/she did indeed send the book(s) in question would be to video the entire process.  And I mean non-stop.  Starting with packing, all the way through the drive and drop off at the post office.

Tripe J's assertion that "The buyer isn't simply always right, ebay empowers buyers with what amounts to diplomatic immunity." is spot on.  eBay's policy is "Buyer first, buyer second, buyer third.  Sellers can have relations with themselves."

Horror stories like this are why I will NEVER sell a high dollar book on eBay, I always consign with people I know I can trust.  

35 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

As Denzel once so aptly put it -- "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."  Both eBay and PayPal can quickly counter OP's assertion with "well how do we KNOW that you REALLY sent the book you're claiming that the buyer stole.  Maybe you really are the scammer, and YOU sent that hardcover to start with..."  In a situation like this, probably the only foolproof way for a seller to prove that he/she did indeed send the book(s) in question would be to video the entire process.  And I mean non-stop.  Starting with packing, all the way through the drive and drop off at the post office.

Tripe J's assertion that "The buyer isn't simply always right, ebay empowers buyers with what amounts to diplomatic immunity." is spot on.  eBay's policy is "Buyer first, buyer second, buyer third.  Sellers can have relations with themselves."

Horror stories like this are why I will NEVER sell a high dollar book on eBay, I always consign with people I know I can trust.  

Or you immediately withdraw the funds out of your PayPal account after receiving payment so if they do put funds on hold nothing is being taken out of your checking. If PayPal goes to a collection agency because your account is in the red for an extended period, it becomes a legal dispute.

1 hour ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Or you immediately withdraw the funds out of your PayPal account after receiving payment so if they do put funds on hold nothing is being taken out of your checking. If PayPal goes to a collection agency because your account is in the red for an extended period, it becomes a legal dispute.

PayPal holds the funds for something like 3 weeks preventing you from withdrawing funds immediately.

9 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

I did this and Ebay paid for the return to the buyer and they messaged me and said it would be on my next invoice. If I don’t pay invoice Ebay suspends your account until you do. I would never sell high dollar anything on there either like others stated 

8 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

PayPal holds the funds for something like 3 weeks preventing you from withdrawing funds immediately.

No, they don't. I make immediate payment withdrawal on a daily basis after an item sells.  I've been doing it this way for years.