• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Collecting Association (CBCA) Dissolution
3 3

11 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Dang, I should have washed my screen.  That's probably why I didn't take 1st place in the grading contest.  

That's gonna make him feel a whole lot better isn't it :p

2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Surely you know I was kidding.  :smile:

I know you was Donna. And don't call me Shirley :grin:

48 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

We regret to announce the formal dissolution of the Comic Book Collecting Association (CBCA).

Formed in 2010, the CBCA hosted a number of events over the years including art contests, con gatherings, a scientific pressing study, an active chat board and we published a regular newsletter. The organization has been inactive for the past several years and has not collected dues in that period.

We believe the CBCA was a noble and valiant effort to promote fellowship, education and ethics within the hobby. However, maintaining an engaged dues-paying membership organization in the era of free social media is a formidable challenge.

After paying the nominal fees related to shutting down our web site and chat board, on July 14,2018, we donated the remaining money in our treasury ($2,175.88) to the Hero Initiative.

Thank you to the CBCA Board of Directors who helped with the organization’s final effort: Mike Greenwood, Mark Zaid, Mike McMurry, Jeff Shanks and Mike Cathro.

Steve Zarelli, Board of Directors

Hero Initiative donation 006.JPG

A farewell worthy of a king. :golfclap:

I wish I would have been able to make the Facebook page a little more active, but the last thing I wanted was the page to become another rehash of articles and posts shared, copied, and "borrowed" from other online sources. In hindsight, maybe that was the way to go.

I met a few very nice people on those message boards and I'm happy to see many of those online friendships carry over to here.

5 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Damn, in hindsight I should have been more involved with you guys, but life gets in the way.

No worries. :foryou: It was a noble experiment... we had some fun and did some cool things. It's no one's "fault." It's just the way society is changing. Other hobby membership orgs face the same challenges, but they have been around a lot longer and have had decades to establish themselves.