• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Barks' stories

62 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My friend is not and never was a comic collector. He bought most of these used at Cherokee Books and Collector's Bookstore in Hollywood in the late 1960's. Most of the Scrooges he bought off the newstand himself. Once he got them all, he had them professionally bound. I knew about them and one day out of the blue he asked me if I wanted to buy them. I jumped at the chance even though I already had many of them individualy. A real nice way to read a few at once.

I actually love bound volumes although I would never do it to any of my books. I actually have quite a few from professionally done to ones done by fans and kids them selves. Other than the obvious fun of having them all together, Most (other than the binding and trimming in most cases), are in very nice shape with nice paper quality. Most have spent most or all of their lives with hard covers. 

Neat having those.  Would be a cool way to read those stories.  I like the Fantagraphics reprints, but having the originals together in a form that's easy to read through is way better. 

2 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The first two Christmas Parade Giants have memorable stories as well as the ultimate summer vacation classic in Vacation Parade #1. And while not on anyone's top ten list the "Many Faces of Magica DeSpell" that appeared in Uncle Scrooge in the early sixties had me laughing out loud when I first read it.

Christmas Parade #1 Letter to Santa

Donald forgets to mail his nephews' letter to Santa asking for a steam shovel.  As usual, Donald is broke and decides to ask his rich Uncle Scrooge for money to purchase a steam shovel for his nephews.  _Xmas9.jpg.30645f5cf6118a01b679df506d4e1059.jpg

Vacation Parade #1 Vacation Time is one of Bark's longest stories (33 pages).  In this great adventure, Donald is resilient, tough, and brave, not his usual mistake prone self.

vacationtime2.jpg.2a5be540d764017ea99f4aa95a066c87.jpg

4 hours ago, AJD said:

Do you recall what his answers to the first were? I don't remember reading that, though I do know he was on the record saying that the 'divorce period' stories were especially inspired. That would be around 1950-51, so would include Old California, Shacktown, Golden Helmet and most of the classic ten pagers we've mentioned.

I know he was quoted identifying "Lost in the Andes," "In Old California" and "Island in the Sky" as, at various times, his "favorite" or "best" story.

One additional plug for FC 263:  Every story and one pager in that book is by Barks.  If I could only own 5 comics, this would be one because it is so packed with Barks' genius.  It is one of the best reads ever.

Edited by sfcityduck

I also now recall Barks saying that the 'tornado hits money bin' story in WDC&S 126 was a favourite, and that it 'could almost be set to music'. I love that story, and I bought a reprint to give to an economist friend of mine.

4 hours ago, AJD said:

Do you recall what his answers to the first were? I don't remember reading that, though I do know he was on the record saying that the 'divorce period' stories were especially inspired. That would be around 1950-51, so would include Old California, Shacktown, Golden Helmet and most of the classic ten pagers we've mentioned.

27 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I know he was quoted identifying "Lost in the Andes," "In Old California" and "Island in the Sky" as, at various times, his "favorite" or "best" story.

One additional plug for FC 263:  Every story and one pager in that book is by Barks.  If I could only own 5 comics, this would be one because it is so packed with Barks' genius.  It is one of the best reads ever.

Four Color 328 Old California - Donald and his nephews take peyote and go on a "trip" to Old California.

10428548_10153654171405656_3167150279583515699_n.jpg.3eb221d2cb9c19a71fb44b145f82bd86.jpg

5 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

FC 328 is one of Barks' best covers, IMHO.  My copy (out at CGC right now):

image.jpeg.7419c9bb1f175bdc82703d529a7891b5.jpeg

I'm a huge fan of Old California. I remember I loaned my tattered copy to my Freshman English teacher to read to prove that there was gold in them thar comics! He liked it!

1 hour ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I'm a huge fan of Old California. I remember I loaned my tattered copy to my Freshman English teacher to read to prove that there was gold in them thar comics! He liked it!

One of my top 5 Barks stories. Of note, great part at the beginning where Donald eats peyote and imagines this story.

8 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

FC 328 is one of Barks' best covers, IMHO.  My copy (out at CGC right now):

image.jpeg.7419c9bb1f175bdc82703d529a7891b5.jpeg

Love the story, but that certainly isn't a Barks cover, with the possible exception of the hand/gun/silhouette on the LHS. The ducks are 1000% not Barks.

2 hours ago, AJD said:

Love the story, but that certainly isn't a Barks cover, with the possible exception of the hand/gun/silhouette on the LHS. The ducks are 1000% not Barks.

AJD, good eyes! 

Cover artist is Carl Buettner.  When Carl Barks drew the ducks' eyes, there was always a tiny triangle piece taken out.

43 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

AJD, good eyes! 

Cover artist is Carl Buettner.  When Carl Barks drew the ducks' eyes, there was always a tiny triangle piece taken out.

I stand corrected! 

Still a great Duck cover, though!  I guess I haven't been giving Buettner enough credit over the years.  He did do some great covers.  And this one is a fantastic composition!

Edited by sfcityduck

On 7/19/2018 at 5:15 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Vacation Parade #1 Vacation Time is one of Bark's longest stories (33 pages).  In this great adventure, Donald is resilient, tough, and brave, not his usual mistake prone self.

The "Vacation Time" splash panel was used for the front cover of "Mickey Mouse Special Issue" #16 in German language countries in Juli of 1954. Complete story = 1 comic book. Only book where they forgot the prices for Switzerland, "Saargebiet" (Saar Protectorat), Austria and Italy on the cover (see beneath the bridge), was stamped on after printing.

20180719_194017.thumb.jpg.cdecb014f2a7f95a83349551e6c6bf58.jpg

("Duck Family on Vacation Tour")

20180719_193429.thumb.jpg.47acdbb3a885b113f865d4cffa5f2dee.jpg

You can't have enough of them! :foryou:

17 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I stand corrected! 

Still a great Duck cover, though!  I guess I haven't been giving Buettner enough credit over the years.  He did do some great covers.  And this one is a fantastic composition!

Frozen Gold Four Color 62 is my vote for the best of the Buettner's!!

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Christmas Parade #1 Letter to Santa

Donald forgets to mail his nephews' letter to Santa asking for a steam shovel.  As usual,

Donald is broke and decides to ask his rich Uncle Scrooge for money to purchase a steam shovel for his nephews.

_Xmas9.jpg.30645f5cf6118a01b679df506d4e1059.jpg

My little brother and I were big fans of the Barks Christmas Parade stories.  I also liked all of the other issues.

6990287767_711c3082c8_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, BitterOldMan said:

I have an animated version of the cover but looking at it makes me dizzy.  One of my copies is a little beat up but this one is very fine.

2473136685_5702080e7f_b.jpg

Not sure if it's THE favourite of mine, but is certainly one of them. I like the one that Donald wants to became a forest ranger, and it starts with him and two other useless candidates. Such a powerful criticism to the way older generation looks down to newer ones without noting that they bears similar flaws.

A little eye candy: The first five Brazilian comic books that brought Barks histories, from 46-47. The legendary "Seleçoes Coloridas" (colorful selections), that are rare even for Brazilian standards, very rare for US standards.

His first history published here was "Pecking order" from Walt Disney's Comics And Stories (1940) n° 57/. It was a secondary story for the first edition, that had as the main attraction an Argentinean history. The n°3 and 14 were all Barks. N° 6 also brought an Argentinean history together with one from Barks. Number n°9 brought a single history, that was drawn by Barks, but also by Jack Hannah and written by Bob Karp.

1.jpeg

3.jpeg

6.jpeg

9.jpeg

14.jpeg

Edited by Kromak
forgot information

On 7/18/2018 at 6:05 PM, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The first two Christmas Parade Giants have memorable stories as well as the ultimate summer vacation classic in Vacation Parade #1. And while not on anyone's top ten list the "Many Faces of Magica DeSpell" that appeared in Uncle Scrooge in the early sixties had me laughing out loud when I first read it.

"The Many Faces of Magica DeSpell" made me laugh out loud when I read a reprint in the late 70s.  That fond memory is why I collect Scrooge books to this day.  Its in my top 10.