• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vegas Comic Stores! Help your fellow tourist Aussie out :)

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'll be visiting Vegas at the end of August, flying out from the Gold Coast, Australia - and looking for some hot tips on the best Vegas comic stores to visit. Ideally stores that have mostly older books, from bronze through to golden age. I'd love to possibly pick up a low grade key whilst I'm in the country (Tales of Suspense 39 or Avengers 4, or something of that calibre). Also on the look out for one of those massive IDW Artist Edition books, ideally Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko.. Not sure if they ever did a Schomburg one, but that would be amazing.

I'll also be in Honolulu for about a week, not sure if they have much of a comic scene, but if they do have any stand out stores, please let me know!

Thanks Fellas / Ladies :luhv:

I don't know anything about the Vegas market, but Torpedo Comics seems to be building a reputation for themselves.  I've seen creators (like Jim Lee) promote them on social media.  I also see they have quite a few signing events in store with big names.  They also seem to have a growing presence at cons (having just hosted their own pre-SDCC event in LA this weekend).  And I would imagine they must have a decent amount of GA/SA/BA books.

@Bammoman

Torpedo Comics has an awesome collection in their vault.  Probably the best bet for the type of books you are looking for.  It is a good distance from the strip and buried in the very back end of the shopping complex.

Celestial Comics, also a good distance from the Strip, I hear, has a good selection.  Never been there, but, my nephew says they have some good books, although any GA/SA books to him are awesome as he is young and fairly new to comics.  Trying to teach him though.

Cosmic Comics, about 3 miles east of the strip or so, has a good selection of back issues, but, nothing really of what you are looking for.  It is the largest store in Vegas and does have some decent books.

Most of the other stores are pretty much newer books, mostly copper - modern.  Alternate Reality, my regular LCS and closest to the Strip, has a few SA books, but, again not exactly what you are looking for.

@aszumilo @ExNihilo

thank you gents, perfect start - I’m gonna do a little research, but these few are sounding good! We are lucky to find any stores that sell anything pre-90s back here in AUS, so even with the crazy prices, would still love to see what Torpedo have to offer.

We literally have one store that about a 50 minute drive from us, that has some amazing SAs/GAs here in AUS, but the owner keeps most of his collection at his house, so going in store you don’t see overly much. I think he keeps them in some crazy vault and only tends to bring them out for Cons, and yeh they’re priced even more crazy as we cop big duty and shipping fees here from the US, plus he needs to make a little profit. He did sell a ASM 1 CGC 1.8 for 5kaud though, which actually seemed like a pretty good price. Buyer got a steal IMO. But yeh, apart from that; usually looking at 30% more than what most things tend to go for on eBay/Auction.

Has anyone visited Vegas Comics? It was one of my google results that came up a few weeks ago when I started researching. Looks like they might have some older books too? 

7 hours ago, Bammoman said:

@aszumilo @ExNihilo

thank you gents, perfect start - I’m gonna do a little research, but these few are sounding good! We are lucky to find any stores that sell anything pre-90s back here in AUS, so even with the crazy prices, would still love to see what Torpedo have to offer.

We literally have one store that about a 50 minute drive from us, that has some amazing SAs/GAs here in AUS, but the owner keeps most of his collection at his house, so going in store you don’t see overly much. I think he keeps them in some crazy vault and only tends to bring them out for Cons, and yeh they’re priced even more crazy as we cop big duty and shipping fees here from the US, plus he needs to make a little profit. He did sell a ASM 1 CGC 1.8 for 5kaud though, which actually seemed like a pretty good price. Buyer got a steal IMO. But yeh, apart from that; usually looking at 30% more than what most things tend to go for on eBay/Auction.

Has anyone visited Vegas Comics? It was one of my google results that came up a few weeks ago when I started researching. Looks like they might have some older books too? 

Never been to Vegas Comics.  Never heard of them until you mentioned them.  They are on the other side of town from me, so, it is out of my normal commute.  Might have to stop in there someday.

Another one to check out is Velvet Underground ( 825 S Decatur Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89107).  Haven't been there since they moved into their new store, but, they used to have a pretty good selection. 

Since you are in Vegas, you may want to stop by the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop of the "Pawn Stars" TV show fame.

It may very well be over hyped because of the TV show, but they seem to get comics in from time to time.

While there, say "hello" to the legendary Paul Litch of CGC fame!

I believe Paul lives right across the street from the shop, because he seems to be there within minutes time as the "buddy" to evaluate anytime a comic comes through the door!  :jokealert:

9 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Since you are in Vegas, you may want to stop by the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop of the "Pawn Stars" TV show fame.

It may very well be over hyped because of the TV show, but they seem to get comics in from time to time.

While there, say "hello" to the legendary Paul Litch of CGC fame!

I believe Paul lives right across the street from the shop, because he seems to be there within minutes time as the "buddy" to evaluate anytime a comic comes through the door!  :jokealert:

Ha! I might even do that - get my proper tourist comic tour on.. haha. I love a good american pawn shop too, so why not :headbang:

9 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I purchased some books at Cheese Boy Comics in Las Vegas as well, south of 215 on Rainbow.  Back issues were mostly within the last 10-15 years, not really any bronze or silver.  Nice owner though.

Thanks man. Yeh I'm not overly into any modern books - mainly because the art just doesn't do anything for me. It's probably shameful to admit this, think out of the 8 or so years I've been collecting comics, I've probably only read about 30 books haha. I think I've got about 1,000+ books in my collection, none later than 1990. I just enjoy flicking through them, admiring the traditional form of inking and artwork pressing back in the day. I'm a graphic designer by trade, so it's the sort of thing that interests me - plus that fact I just love the character designs in general, and the movies of course.

9 minutes ago, Bammoman said:

Thanks man. Yeh I'm not overly into any modern books - mainly because the art just doesn't do anything for me. It's probably shameful to admit this, think out of the 8 or so years I've been collecting comics, I've probably only read about 30 books haha. I think I've got about 1,000+ books in my collection, none later than 1990. I just enjoy flicking through them, admiring the traditional form of inking and artwork pressing back in the day. I'm a graphic designer by trade, so it's the sort of thing that interests me - plus that fact I just love the character designs in general, and the movies of course.

No shame in that! I collect almost exclusively SA and GA. I brought my kids a few times and found some decent moderns in his back issues like the first Anti-Venom. You must visit Torpedo. 

6 hours ago, Spyder! said:

No shame in that! I collect almost exclusively SA and GA. I brought my kids a few times and found some decent moderns in his back issues like the first Anti-Venom. You must visit Torpedo. 

Yeh man, Torpedo is first on the list of places to visit! Locked that one in :headbang:

I've only just recently starting collecting GA's - but they're definitely a little harder to get your hands on, as pricing is pretty up there. Would love to get myself a Cap America Comics nazi cover some day. I've been loving the Black Terror books though. They're up there in price, but awesome Shomburg covers. I realised you can't really go wrong with any Schomburg book haha

On 7/18/2018 at 3:16 AM, Bammoman said:

Yeh man, Torpedo is first on the list of places to visit! Locked that one in :headbang:

Bammoman, I thought you might find this YouTube video interesting and give you a preview of what to expect at Torpedo Comics.

Here is a recent visit by Anthony Snyder & Mike Carbonaro to Torpedo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXplNGiqdX8

Edited by DanCooper

13 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Bammoman, I thought you might find this YouTube video interesting and give you a preview of what to expect at Torpedo Comics.

Here is a recent visit by Anthony Snyder & Mike Carbonaro to Torpedo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXplNGiqdX8

I''m tossing up on whether or not I should watch it, might ruin the first steps I take when walking in for the first time haha!