• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW BOB LAYTON IRON MAN

49 posts in this topic

Just recieved the new Layton Iron man Artist Select Hardcover. Nicely made book with some great stories and art in it. I received the sketch edition with this character in it. 

Can someone tell me, who the "f" is that?? I feel a little disappointed! oh well!!

im.jpg.3c1a19f1d0571167ef2606405a1728cc.jpg

Edited by chefkv

18 hours ago, chefkv said:

Just recieved the new Layton Iron man Artist Select Hardcover. Nicely made book with some great stories and art in it. I received the sketch edition with this character in it. 

Can someone tell me, who the "f" is that?? I feel a little disappointed! oh well!!

im.jpg.3c1a19f1d0571167ef2606405a1728cc.jpg

Was she in the TV show "Mama's Family"?

I thought about ordering the book the other week, but, decided that I didn't want to roll the roulette wheel, as some of the sketches previewed weren't even Iron Man-related.  

Mrs. Arbogast doh!

I wonder if there's a sketch of Uranus Bliss as well. 

Edited by delekkerste

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I thought about ordering the book the other week, but, decided that I didn't want to roll the roulette wheel, as some of the sketches previewed weren't even Iron Man-related.  

Mrs. Arbogast doh!

I wonder if there's a sketch of Uranus Bliss as well. 

Well at least you have a better chance at Iron Man related, now that one of the duds are out of the mix!! ;)

Some people are going to call me a fool, but I'd bought one of the Romita artist editions with the sketch in it. He's a definitive Spidey artist. It's a Spidey book, I'd bought it because I love Spidey, I figured I had a good chance of getting Spidey. 

I ended up with MJ (oh the travesty). Underwhelmed, I sold the book on eBay within the year.

I can't believe Bob would stick someone with that character. He's got 5,000 different sets of Iron Man armor he can pick from, just give your fans (and people ponying up for this book are among your biggest) what they want. 

Edited by J.Sid
typo

25 minutes ago, J.Sid said:

Some people are going to call me a fool, but I'd bought one of the Romita artist editions with the sketch in it. He's a definitive Spidey artist. It's a Spidey book, I'd bought it because I love Spidey, I figured I had a good chance of getting Spidey. 

I ended up with MJ (oh the travesty). Underwhelmed, I sold the book on eBay within the year.

I can't believe Bob would stick someone with that character. He's got 5,000 different sets of Iron Man armor he can pick from, just give your fans (and people ponying up for this book are among your biggest) what they want. 

I hear ya!  I had bought the Romita as well and lucky for me I got half peter/half spidey portrait. I will definetly think twice before my next purchase of a similar format.

Edited by chefkv

9 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Not to pile on, but I watched the video on this limited art series and this has just a horrible luck of the draw. Was it by chance opened when you received it?

It was bad luck of the draw. I almost feel like returning it but I know it was a c**p shoot. But Mrs. Argobast, come on!! 

Edited by chefkv

3 minutes ago, chefkv said:

It was bad luck of the draw. I almost feel like returning it but I know it was a c**p shoot. But Mrs. Argobast, come on!! 

You have a case, this is not a shoot. Nobody goes in thinking they have a chance of getting this lame character, again I apologize for the pile on, they should have known better. Stark Tower would have been better.

Not trying to pile on, but yeah that sorta spooks me. if you are gonna do a lesser (and that's being generous) character like that at least color it or give it a background. I like the idea of boilerplate standard Iron Man no backgrounds for most, then doing odd characters but with backgrounds or colored.

More desirable character=you get the standard  ,

Less desirable character= you get all the bells and whistles.

Doing it this way, its like turning it into a high end pack of Topps Cards. I don't think that model works in a more intimate connected hobby like comic art collecting which is to whom these books appeal to.

I was a huge (still am) fan of this era so I immediately knew that this was Mrs. A but even I would have been disappointed to get this as my sketch. I agree with more bells and whistles with this one - even Tony leaning over her shoulder would have been better. 

How many of these were done with a sketch? Now I am curious to see how many people will get one of these head-scratcher sketches.