IDW BOB LAYTON IRON MAN
0

49 posts in this topic

493 posts

As I recall from the video and extrapolating based on the small sampling, getting Mrs. A and getting a bottle are likely the worst draws one could have gotten--next up would be a B minus level villain like Firepower or B level villain like Blizzard.  While I'm sure Layton did more Iron Mans than anything else, I'm sure he did at least one of a bunch of villains of varying popularity (like Ghost, Blacklash, Melter, Titanium Man, Mandarin etc.), he probably did a few Dr Doom ones (one is barely shown in the video)  and a few superheroes (a Hulk is shown in the video).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,211 posts
10 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

 getting Mrs. A and getting a bottle are likely the worst draws one could have gotten

Heads up! Bottle was Faked. That one was not a real drawing from Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
493 posts
52 minutes ago, J.Sid said:

Heads up! Bottle was Faked. That one was not a real drawing from Bob.

HAH! I didn't even look closely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
99 posts
1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

I was a huge (still am) fan of this era so I immediately knew that this was Mrs. A but even I would have been disappointed to get this as my sketch. I agree with more bells and whistles with this one - even Tony leaning over her shoulder would have been better. 

 

How many of these were done with a sketch? Now I am curious to see how many people will get one of these head-scratcher sketches. 

I believe there are 50 of these sketch editions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
99 posts
1 hour ago, Ironmandrd said:

As I recall from the video and extrapolating based on the small sampling, getting Mrs. A and getting a bottle are likely the worst draws one could have gotten--next up would be a B minus level villain like Firepower or B level villain like Blizzard.  While I'm sure Layton did more Iron Mans than anything else, I'm sure he did at least one of a bunch of villains of varying popularity (like Ghost, Blacklash, Melter, Titanium Man, Mandarin etc.), he probably did a few Dr Doom ones (one is barely shown in the video)  and a few superheroes (a Hulk is shown in the video).

SO Mrs. A is now the worst since the bottle is fake!! I am so happy to have this in the collection!! ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
236 posts
11 minutes ago, chefkv said:

SO Mrs. A is now the worst since the bottle is fake!! I am so happy to have this in the collection!! ^^

Return this sucker....or see if you could send it to Bob and exchange it for a drawing of a whisky bottle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,714 posts
16 minutes ago, chefkv said:
1 hour ago, Ironmandrd said:

As I recall from the video and extrapolating based on the small sampling, getting Mrs. A and getting a bottle are likely the worst draws one could have gotten--next up would be a B minus level villain like Firepower or B level villain like Blizzard.  While I'm sure Layton did more Iron Mans than anything else, I'm sure he did at least one of a bunch of villains of varying popularity (like Ghost, Blacklash, Melter, Titanium Man, Mandarin etc.), he probably did a few Dr Doom ones (one is barely shown in the video)  and a few superheroes (a Hulk is shown in the video).

SO Mrs. A is now the worst since the bottle is fake!! I am so happy to have this in the collection!! ^^

The "Razz" edition 1/1....something special about that. I wonder if you showed it to Layton maybe he would throw in tony in armor interacting with her. Like maybe in his office with Tony on one side behind a desk and an empty earlier mark ironman suit on the other standing there. Lot of possibilities there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
493 posts

If you handled it correctly (respectfully, politely, good naturedly, etc.), I think there's a good chance that Bob would draw a headshot or head/shoulders Tony on it for free  Unless you caught him at just the right moment or he was in an especially good mood, I doubt he would draw something more elaborate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,714 posts

Not trying to be an apologist here cause I get why people wouldnt want this as their "reward" art. But maybe he thought it was unique drawing her and a fan would dig it. For this type of money yeah its probably better if artists avoid "deep cuts" like this and stick to Iron Man himself or a main enemy, but it could just be a small error in judgement. Is Bob someone who is fan friendly, only talked to him once for a moment but seemed alright. If so, good chance like Darren said he would rock some addition on it gratis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,675 posts

This does give me pause for buying something like this. I am pretty sure that nobody had a thought that they might get Mrs. A as the sketch in their book and might keep them from rolling the dice again on such a book. That said, I am sure Bob Layton did the drawing thinking that some diehard fan might love it. Problem is, the odds of this making its way into that person's hands are slim and none. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820 posts
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, chefkv said:

Just recieved the new Layton Iron man Artist Select Hardcover. Nicely made book with some great stories and art in it. I received the sketch edition with this character in it. 

Can someone tell me, who the "f" is that?? I feel a little disappointed! oh well!!

im.jpg.3c1a19f1d0571167ef2606405a1728cc.jpg

She needs her own monthly title!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,759 posts
On 7/16/2018 at 7:06 PM, chefkv said:

Just recieved the new Layton Iron man Artist Select Hardcover. Nicely made book with some great stories and art in it. I received the sketch edition with this character in it. 

Can someone tell me, who the "f" is that?? I feel a little disappointed! oh well!!

im.jpg.3c1a19f1d0571167ef2606405a1728cc.jpg

Maybe, it's not Mrs. Arbogast after all - it looks like it could be Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow in retirement at age 57. hm

There, all better. :cloud9:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
99 posts
1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Maybe, it's not Mrs. Arbogast after all - it looks like it could be Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow in retirement at age 57. hm

There, all better. :cloud9:

:signfunny:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820 posts

I think there's definitely a growing market for these type of characters.  How about Aunt May as Thor?

Thor.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,423 posts
18 hours ago, The Voord said:

I think there's definitely a growing market for these type of characters.  How about Aunt May as Thor?

Thor.jpg

I never thought I would live to see Aunt May getting hammered! Hic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
212 posts
5 hours ago, tv horror said:

I never thought I would live to see Aunt May getting hammered! Hic.

 

Beta Ray May - you've been warned.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 posts

Hi!

Nate Murray from IDW Limited here. I meant to keep this piece in-house. You should have a DM from me regarding trading this.

For anyone curious - the set is roughly 50/50 on Iron Man and other characters, this is the sole Mrs. A.

We have 9 copies left for sale as of 7/24.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
493 posts

Random question for owners of this book--does this book have any other special features in the back?  Like copies of any art or anything else unusual (like copies of little seen promos)?.  Also the IDW site says that this does not have issue #128--is that true?   Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820 posts
3 hours ago, namurr7227 said:

Hi!

Nate Murray from IDW Limited here. I meant to keep this piece in-house. You should have a DM from me regarding trading this.

For anyone curious - the set is roughly 50/50 on Iron Man and other characters, this is the sole Mrs. A.

We have 9 copies left for sale as of 7/24.

Personally, I'd keep ahold of Mrs A.  She'll soon be elevated to the kind of cult status of something like, 'Patience is a Virue', the stuff of legends.  Iron Man drawings?  Nah, anyone can get one of those . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0