• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iron Man 1 CGC 8.5 triple trimmed: What am I missing?

10 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Man-1-8-5-CGC-Silver-Age-Marvel-Comic-Book-Issue/302800114814?hash=item46804b147e:g:uQkAAOSwYUdbNX~W

Trimmed on 3 sides, color touched. Bidding at $625, just about what an unrestored CGC 8.0 sells for, with 10 minutes to go.

CGC 8.5 Universal = $950 at current GP. 28 bidders! Triple trimmed brings 65% of Universal market price? ???  Something new?

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Crack and sell as unrestored  (shrug)

This would look peculiar represented as an unrestored book, all three sides trimmed. Granted, it's not the "All_Things_Comics" box-cutter, 1 inch off all three sides" deep trim, aggressively whittled down, with parts of the lettering, comics code and significant portions of the artwork sliced off, but those edges on that Iron Man 1 are cut enough that the poor thing is probably still howling with phantom edge pain! lol

I was going to say that what you are missing is part of your book, but since you didn't buy it I guess I can't. Congrats on the non-purchase!

Also, I have a nearly identical, non-trimmed copy; hopefully this represents FMV and I can expect a nice value bump!

I'm going to guess the bidders didn't look that closely at the label. The purple can easily be mistaken for blue, and nowhere in the listing's description (that I can see) does the seller note the restoration or trimming.

Even though he/she states "no returns", I think this one is going to boomerang.

55 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I'm going to guess the bidders didn't look that closely at the label. The purple can easily be mistaken for blue, and nowhere in the listing's description (that I can see) does the seller note the restoration or trimming.

I would say the returnee has a good case, because it was listed as "CGC 8.5" although typically the grade would be considered "CGC 8.5/Restored." That being said, the info is there if you dig a little so this is also on the buyer somewhat.

Edited by mackenzie999

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

Sellers shouldn't even bother using the two words, "as is", or "no returns". No such thing on ebay. That's the main theme of the site. "Buyer protection". "30 day returns". "If you don't like it, return it". That's eBay's guarantee, even if the seller states otherwise and if the seller is not responsive to a requested return, ebay will step in and facilitate it.  

21 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Sellers shouldn't even bother using the two words, "as is", or "no returns". No such thing on ebay. That's the main theme of the site. "Buyer protection". "30 day returns". "If you don't like it, return it". That's eBay's guarantee, even if the seller states otherwise and if the seller is not responsive to a requested return, ebay will step in and facilitate it.  

Sellers who make these kinds of claims are relying on buyer ignorance, and that's not a bad bet if you're the deceitful type.