• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Waviness in Comic?

4 posts in this topic

I have a high grade Silver Surfer 44 (Copper Age) that I'm considering getting graded but have hesitated because the inner pages all have a distinct waviness to them (not so much the cover but it's clear on the inner pages)....anyone know how CGC handles this grade-wise?  I obviously don't want to send in a book for grading that is a 9.4 or better and have it come back much lower because of this issue.  I have pressed the book myself several times but can't seem to get rid of the waves.  I read somewhere it could be a manufacturing/ink issue...there are no signs of moisture damage.  I had 2 other copies of the same book and they all had this issue.

Edited by nrad1968

Silver Surfer 44 was manufactured wavy on the interior pages. The only flat copies I've seen were pressed. The common amateur press of heat only isn't going to fix this book. 

Because nearly all were printed this way, it will have little to no affect on grade. I would send it in as is.  

This was so common on those books off the stands. Can't remember if it was all Marvels at the time, but I bought SS monthly back then and distinctly remember how wavy they were. FWIW, I cracked out a 9.6 ASM a few days ago (circa 1988) and noticed it was wavy along the top as well, so CGC may just accept it as a symptom of production and not an actual flaw.