• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Canada, eh? sales thread
4 4

156 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

I’ve shipped to Canada a select few times as well, and no disrespect to my friends from the great white north intended, but I don’t like being asked to lie on customs forms to help people avoid ludicrous import taxes, because that means I can’t fully insure the shipment whether it be through USPS or fed ex.

If I am somehow wrong in this understanding and there is a way to insure safely without you guys risking getting a %30 or so surcharge please let me know.

And not to derail but since the subject has been broached, how exactly do Canadians get auction winnings from CLink,  CC, and HA... because I assume these companies won’t lie on customs forms either?

If someone asks you to lie on a customs form you can just say no,.  And we don't get a 30% surcharge through Canada Post, we get charged 5% GST and a $10 collection fee.  

Fedex is also a reasonable shipping option but UPS hoses us with high customs border fees.  I won't accept a package through UPS.

Heritage fully declares, Clink typically under declares by quite a bit, and I've never dealt with CC.

11 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

If someone asks you to lie on a customs form you can just say no,.

Indeed, I used to actually include language in my sales threads that said something like "ATTENTION CANADIANS: I will not undervalue books on customs forms, so if you're planning on asking me to do that, just don't buy anything to begin with" (OK, maybe it was phrased a little more professionally in my sales threads :D

Point being, I think the spirit of a lot of this discussion is that you can put any terms into your sales threads that you want to - go ahead and put down the terms that would be acceptable to you in your threads, and at least give the Canadians the option of saying YES or NO...i.e., there's no reason to exclude Canada out-of-hand - surely there are terms under which you would ship to Canada - figure out what those are, and at least offer them.

Edited by EC ed

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Yes, but when they DO get lost, they get really lost...and the seller is stuck. Overnight is the only way you can get a signature or Fedex, which apparently Canadians hate., I DO ship to Canada on here, but not on eBay unless it's someone I know.

Why? 

Because a package once got lost and it was a total nightmare and another package was "damaged", another total nightmare, only two times either has happened.

Because the postage is more expensive and people (not me the buyer) tend to complain

and Because people I don't even know want me to lie on the item price.

Not that I don't understand it all, which is why I sell to Canadians here...but I don't want to bother with eBay.

BTW, love Canadians...they are just North Americans;) but as Dave said, a little frozen;);) :foryou:

I didn't know that signature verification was only on overnight to Canada.  I should really start to use signature verification.  I hate it when I send something out to Canada and don't get a message that the package has arrived safely.

:baiting:

2 minutes ago, EC ed said:

Indeed, I used to actually include language in my sales threads that said something like "ATTENTION CANADIANS: I will not undervalue books on customs forms, so if you're planning on asking me to do that, just don't buy anything to begin with" (OK, maybe it was phrased a little more professionally in my sales threads :D

Point being, I think the spirit of a lot of this discussion is that you can put any terms into your sales threads that you want to - go ahead and put down the terms that would be acceptable to you in your threads, and at least give the Canadians the option of saying YES or NO...i.e., there's no reason to exclude Canada out-of-hand - surely there are terms under which you would ship to Canada - figure out what those are, and offer them.

I agree, you can post your policy in your thread and avoid problems, I've seen similar language on ebay.

I do recall a recent sales thread where the seller sold a couple books and then asked why more weren't selling.  I replied that he wasn't shipping to Canada so I was excluded from the thread.  He changed his policy to allow Canadians but the beaver was cast and I had no interest in being treated as a second class buyer.

22 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Heritage fully declares, Clink typically under declares by quite a bit, and I've never dealt with CC.

hm

I would never buy one single book from the auction joints since it is cost prohibitive, but if there was a Canadian buying group....

9 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

hm

I would never buy one single book from the auction joints since it is cost prohibitive, but if there was a Canadian buying group....

I buy from Clink and Heritage quite often.  They get good books I can't find anywhere else. 

I do find I'm rarely winning books on Heritage lately.  They realize very high prices, their fees are high, their shipping is very expensive, and they fully declare on customs forms.  Once I factor in all the costs plus the exchange rate it's cost prohibitive.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

I didn't know that signature verification was only on overnight to Canada.  I should really start to use signature verification.  I hate it when I send something out to Canada and don't get a message that the package has arrived safely.

:baiting:

I only worry about it if it's over $200. I even send first class when I can. 

Don't like it costing people a lot if I can help it and still sleep at night, lol....and I've always shipped to anywhere on here...I take returns too;) 

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

I buy from Clink and Heritage quite often.  They get good books I can't find anywhere else. 

I do find I'm rarely winning books on Heritage lately.  They realize very high prices, their fees are high, their shipping is very expensive, and they fully declare on customs forms.  Once I factor in all the costs plus the exchange rate it's cost prohibitive.

If you and Val would just come visit you could just shop here;) :baiting:

4 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

... then asked why more weren't selling.  I replied that he wasn't shipping to Canada so I was excluded from the thread.  He changed his policy to allow Canadians but the beaver was cast and I had no interest in being treated as a second class buyer.

The beaver may hath been cast but @thirdgreenham has a pretty big pair of :whatev: cahonies to compete against the big vendors/collectors in SDCC this week.

6 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

The beaver may hath been cast but @thirdgreenham has a pretty big pair of :whatev: cahonies to compete against the big vendors/collectors in SDCC this week.

You crack me up, Allan. lol 

6 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I'd love to sigh.  Miss ya

We miss you, too. I've never had an American friend visit and mop my floors (without my even asking;) 

Best guests ever...

Whoops, back to Andy...GREAT BOOKS! Kill them in SAN DIEGO (not literally please;)

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

I'm thinking my next sales thread should be local pickup only. I've actually sold a few books via local pickup, including twice on ebay. Saves boxing everything up.

I just hand-delivered books last Friday!

As to this shipping to Canada situation:

1) My first sale on here went to Canada

2) I've sent books to Andy himself (from that great girls' school fundraiser)

3) I've seen first-hand Canadian heartiness in the face of stout shipping costs

4) I'm packing up a trade with a Canadian boardie tonight

5) Thank you so much for Rush! :headbang:

10 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

I know a guy who buys every copy of Howard the Duck #1 he sees.  His plan is to tear the front cover off of every issue and use it to wallpaper a room. 

This is flat out awesome.

Or the worst thing evah.

I cannot decide.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:31 PM, thirdgreenham said:

I sell and ship comics to the US about 4 days a week, nearly every single week.  

It’s not hard in the least bit and takes me about 30 seconds to 1 minute longer to prepare the necessary form.  

What bugs me is the multitude of “US only” sales, and how they constistently show up.

So, the point of this thread wasn’t necessarily to sell books, it was to bring up this case of “I’m not going to ship to you” to people who have probably never had this “problem” before.  

Hopefully a few of the US sellers that usually don’t ship to Canada see this thread, read this post, and reconsider when they have their next sales thread.  

It cant be that difficult.  Plus, Canadians typically don’t mind paying for shipping. :preach: 

Couldn't agree more wholeheartedly my friend

4 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

The Global Shipping program is NOT Canadian friendly. The rates charged are preposterous. Unless I absolutely have to, I try and avoid it at all costs. 

GSP is a complete cash grab. We get charged more than just customs. They act like their own customs and charge up the wazoo. It's actually ebay owned I think. I avoid it at all cost unless I just have to have it.