• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Canada, eh? sales thread
4 4

156 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, thunsicker said:

I must be doing it wrong.  I just ship through usps.com and they pick it up off my front porch.  Just have to declare what you’re sending and a slight difference in cost, other than that it’s exactly like shipping to the US.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that was an option for international transactions.

4 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

My thoughts on this would be ship without a signature. Packages typically don’t get lost.  :) 

if you must have a signature, I think the cost goes up to $55, but again, you could offer that option.

Yes, but when they DO get lost, they get really lost...and the seller is stuck. Overnight is the only way you can get a signature or Fedex, which apparently Canadians hate., I DO ship to Canada on here, but not on eBay unless it's someone I know.

Why? 

Because a package once got lost and it was a total nightmare and another package was "damaged", another total nightmare, only two times either has happened.

Because the postage is more expensive and people (not me the buyer) tend to complain

and Because people I don't even know want me to lie on the item price.

Not that I don't understand it all, which is why I sell to Canadians here...but I don't want to bother with eBay.

BTW, love Canadians...they are just North Americans;) but as Dave said, a little frozen;);) :foryou:

24 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Yes, but when they DO get lost, they get really lost...and the seller is stuck. Overnight is the only way you can get a signature or Fedex, which apparently Canadians hate., I DO ship to Canada on here, but not on eBay unless it's someone I know.

Why? 

Because a package once got lost and it was a total nightmare and another package was "damaged", another total nightmare, only two times either has happened.

Because the postage is more expensive and people (not me the buyer) tend to complain

Not that I don't understand it all, which is why I sell to Canadians here...but I don't want to bother with eBay.

BTW, love Canadians...they are just North Americans;) but as Dave said, a little frozen;);) :foryou:

I’ve shipped to Canada a select few times as well, and no disrespect to my friends from the great white north intended, but I don’t like being asked to lie on customs forms to help people avoid ludicrous import taxes, because that means I can’t fully insure the shipment whether it be through USPS or fed ex.

If I am somehow wrong in this understanding and there is a way to insure safely without you guys risking getting a %30 or so surcharge please let me know.

And not to derail but since the subject has been broached, how exactly do Canadians get auction winnings from CLink,  CC, and HA... because I assume these companies won’t lie on customs forms either?

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

I’ve shipped to Canada a select few times as well, and no disrespect to my friends from the great white north intended, but I don’t like being asked to lie on customs forms to help people avoid ludicrous import taxes, because that means I can’t fully insure the shipment whether it be through USPS or fed ex.

If I am somehow wrong in this understanding and there is a way to insure safely without you guys risking getting a %30 or so surcharge please let me know.

And not to derail but since the subject has been broached, how exactly do Canadians get auction winnings from CLink,  CC, and HA... because I assume these companies won’t lie on customs forms either?

Heritage declares the full value and the buyer would get hit.

CLink values the books at $5 each and the buyer may or may not get charged duties and taxes, but if they are, it's based off of $5/book.

CC, I can't recall.

When CGC returns a book to me, IIRC, the value is declared at $1 per book.

Many times, I've asked people in the States to declare the value lower than what I just paid.  I prefer to not call that "lying."  Can't I put whatever value I want on my item, even if it's not in my hands yet? 

I know a guy who buys every copy of Howard the Duck #1 he sees.  His plan is to tear the front cover off of every issue and use it to wallpaper a room.  So, if he just spent $20 to buy it, he may feel the value is much less because of his future interests for the book. 

Anyway, it's a game of semantics that I know I won't win. lol 

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Why? 

Thanks for chiming in, Sharon. (thumbsu

The package that got lost, did it have a tracking number?

Sorry to hear this, by the way. :foryou:

12 minutes ago, misterrmystery said:

When I ship eBay items to Canada, I use the Global Shipping program. Seems to be safer and less expensive. Have had zero problems thus far.

I ship first class and hope for the best.  (:

19 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Thanks for chiming in, Sharon. (thumbsu

The package that got lost, did it have a tracking number?

Sorry to hear this, by the way. :foryou:

Yes, it did, but the tracking only went to the US border because the person did not want to pay to ship it overnight. Tracking in Canada requires a signature. 

Andy, you know that I'd trust YOU and several other people on here under any circumstances, but unfortunately I can't trust people I don't know.

BTW, it's not the buyer who signs the forms here, it's the seller...I don't know what happens once the stuff gets to you.

Has anyone thought about writing to your representatives and starting a movement to change the rules about comics? 30% sounds wild. We don't charge import taxes for your books.

33 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Heritage declares the full value and the buyer would get hit.

CLink values the books at $5 each and the buyer may or may not get charged duties and taxes, but if they are, it's based off of $5/book.

CC, I can't recall.

When CGC returns a book to me, IIRC, the value is declared at $1 per book.

Many times, I've asked people in the States to declare the value lower than what I just paid.  I prefer to not call that "lying."  Can't I put whatever value I want on my item, even if it's not in my hands yet? 

I know a guy who buys every copy of Howard the Duck #1 he sees.  His plan is to tear the front cover off of every issue and use it to wallpaper a room.  So, if he just spent $20 to buy it, he may feel the value is much less because of his future interests for the book. 

Anyway, it's a game of semantics that I know I won't win. lol 

Good to know... btw great books as always.  Please post a picture of the wallpaper once its done if you can get one from that guy...

27 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Yes, it did, but the tracking only went to the US border because the person did not want to pay to ship it overnight. Tracking in Canada requires a signature. 

Andy, you know that I'd trust YOU and several other people on here under any circumstances, but unfortunately I can't trust people I don't know.

BTW, it's not the buyer who signs the forms here, it's the seller...I don't know what happens once the stuff gets to you.

Has anyone thought about writing to your representatives and starting a movement to change the rules about comics? 30% sounds wild. We don't charge import taxes for your books.

I guess problems can still occur, even with a tracking number.  I tend to relax once I've made sure it goes out with one. Every package I've shipped with a tracking number (thousands) has been delivered.  They tend to not arrive (yeah right :eyeroll: ) when there's no tracking.