• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Canada, eh? sales thread
4 4

156 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Given the craft beer explosion that's going on now in the U.S., there is no excuse to drink crappy mass produced beer anymore.

That includes mass produced Canadian beer, which we only thought was good in the 70s when I was growing up in Ohio, because it was better than crappy U.S. beer.

1 minute ago, comicnoir said:

I love how this has turned into a thread about beer. I like English draft myself.

I am in Poland right now and they serve hot beer not warm not room temperature hot you can get cold beer but you can also get hot beer 

1 hour ago, rjpb said:
7 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Given the craft beer explosion that's going on now in the U.S., there is no excuse to drink crappy mass produced beer anymore.

That includes mass produced Canadian beer, which we only thought was good in the 70s when I was growing up in Ohio, because it was better than crappy U.S. beer.

The mass produced Canadian beer they sold in the U.S. wasn't the same as the stuff they sold in Canada.  If you bought the same stuff in Canada, it tasted way better. Same with Mexican beer.

I can't imagine mass produced U.S. beer being any worse, but I gotta wonder if it is any different when purchased abroad.

8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The mass produced Canadian beer they sold in the U.S. wasn't the same as the stuff they sold in Canada.  If you bought the same stuff in Canada, it tasted way better. Same with Mexican beer.

While in recent decades some major international brands began actually brewing in the U.S., I think it's largely a myth that imported brews were reformulated for an American market when made at the same brewery. It doesn't really make economic sense, and I've never seen proof, but it's something I've heard since the 1970s. I chalk it up to the psychological impact of drinking a beer in it's native country. 

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

While in recent decades some major international brands began actually brewing in the U.S., I think it's largely a myth that imported brews were reformulated for an American market when made at the same brewery. It doesn't really make economic sense, and I've never seen proof, but it's something I've heard since the 1970s. I chalk it up to the psychological impact of drinking a beer in it's native country. 

Agreed .... I had a Guiness at the oldest pub in Dublin (The Stag's Head) and it still tasted like motor oil..

@lizards2 Don't you have good microbrews where you are? In the northeast, we have the only beer to score 100 in Beer Advocate's history (thank you VT!)

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Agreed .... I had a Guiness at the oldest pub in Dublin (The Stag's Head) and it still tasted like motor oil..

@lizards2 Don't you have good microbrews where you are? In the northeast, we have the only beer to score 100 in Beer Advocate's history (thank you VT!)

image.jpeg

I'll be expecting some of that with my shipment :baiting:

When I was in Dublin, I went right to the Guiness brewery and did the tour which had A LOT of sampalage and finished at a roof top bar with a gigantic table full of pints of Guiness with a help yourself attitude. Thank goodness for the kind cabbie who got me back to my hotel safe and sound. 

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

So, to get this thread back on track...I haven't been drunk in Oregon (that I remember) but when I was in Monterey there were all kinds of microbreweries and tons of decent craft beers. :tink:

22 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

but what time is that in Canada?

do you guys even use hours and minutes or is there some metric version of time?

It depends on how many beavers and which way they’re pointing. 

9 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Another thing that blows for Canadians on ebay.com is the site actually hides any comic listings with USA only shipping if you have a Canadian shipping address. You don't even have the chance to ask the seller if they will make an exception if you agree to pay the extra cost to Canada (which many US sellers will). I found this out early on when I couldn't see any of  Sharon's @skypinkblu listings. I ended up having to create a fake US shipping address (before I went and got a real one) just so I could view them!

Sorry...I do put anyone who wants to bid from here on my eBay block exemption list...but they manage to mess that stuff up sometimes.

3 hours ago, rjpb said:

My anecdotal evidence > than your anecdotal evidence  :eyeroll:

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

We have lots of good stuff.  I'm giving you 57 years of life experience, not just the last two.

I remember when Canadians themselves were hardy souls...., but that was in the distant past as well.

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I was blown away coming into these boards the number of Canadians and it scared me at first but now “490199” is a code I recite in my sleep. 

There's nothing like walking into a room full of flannel and backbacon, and realizing you're the odd man out.  :eek:

I've also got the harmony code memorized....,