• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever ripped/ruined a piece of OA?

10 posts in this topic

No, but my daughter nearly did.  Back in the 1990s (when she was a toddler) I received an artwork package from a friend.  After unwrapping the art, I left it on the desk in my upstairs man-cave whilst taking care of other pressing matters.  A short while later, I went back upstairs to look at the artwork in detail . . . only to find that my daughter had sneaked upstairs and was in the process of adding some colour additions with her set of crayons.  Thankfully, the unwanted new elements of artwork were later reversed.

5 hours ago, MagnusX said:

What about willingly destroying your own art?
Ryan Ottley ( Invincible ) and Derek Hunter ( Adventure Time artist ) BURN PARTY!

aa1.thumb.jpg.b78128177f50ffed816acbadbe50f461.jpg

I remember another artist doing this. Jason Pearson who did some nice covers for Deadpool. He destroyed the cover to #24 because it showed a battle happening in Las Vegas and did it as some sort of solidarity after the shooting that happened. I think that was naive myself and think that he should have done a charity auction with the piece instead.

1499454357_destroyedcover.thumb.PNG.d26a6aa26b7c918a9f23f0cec374dabe.PNG

I spilled coffee on a Preacher page.  It cleaned up pretty well but the stain always annoyed me so I sold it. Still ended up getting full market value, so I guess it didn't bother the buyer.

1 hour ago, ComicArtMall said:

I've had a word bubble get caught on the edge of the plastic holder when I was putting the art away. It ripped the word bubble off, but luckily it didn't damage the page.

Yeah, portfolio sleeves are the natural predator of the paste-up word balloon. 

I’m not sure if this qualifies as ruined, but in my early collecting days I had two sketches by two different artists on which their pencils really made their presence known (overwhelmed/obstructed) as much as the inks. I erased the pencils and really regretted it soon after. I still have one of them and the other I sold with disclosure. It didn’t affect the market value as much I thought but I’ll never know for sure. 

Just don’t erase the pencils!