• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tijuana Bible question

5 posts in this topic

Last year we cleaned out an old barber shop that my wife’s grandfather ran from 1925 to 1990. Hidden under the marble counter we found envelopes filled with Tijuana bibles . We also found quite a few of these 5 by 4 one sided glossy Tijuana bible strips. Can someone tell me what these strips were used for. We were wondering if her grandfather was a distributor .

29B553F7-E0DA-48A0-B4CC-5F5305EC4058.jpeg

That they are glossy is interesting, likely a photostat used for production. Grandad may well have been printing them up, and making them available for distribution. These could be pretty lucrative back in the day, selling for a buck a piece back in the 40s and 50s.

Most likely would have been a "distributor" of these, as that's just how they were sold/circulated, in barbershops, under the counter of corner 5 & 10's, garages, etc. :)

I imagine the glossier sheets would have been used for producing more of them, then cut and assembled, as rjpb theorizes. I have a little collection of these, it's always fun to find new ones that are among the early ones produced. :)

Edited by originalisbest

Yup, there's a reference for these publications as well, but I couldn't find anything regarding single pages.  They may have been the result of a one-man operation to either copy, or give or sell as a promotion.

Tijuana Bibles.jpg