• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Slabs ever have arrived!
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Does the New Mutants 98 have, at least five fcvr CB spine ticks; your scans are too small to clearly determine such? If so, a press, although perhaps lessening the tick depressions, will, of course, not address the CBs.

Great looking comics and you'll learn as you go. And it's always hard to know which way CGC is going to lean when it comes to spine ticks, there was a NM 98 in the recent grading contest with more ticks than a dog and it ended up a 9.4!

10 hours ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

After seeing that NM98, I wouldnt even bothered grading it

If it's for his PC, what's the harm at a mere $20 fee? If it's for selling, 90 day is $250, last sale is $340 (!). I sold a ratty 8.0 at Heroes for $232. There's no way anyone would have given me $200 for it raw. That $20 slabbing fee made me a few bucks and made it a whole lot easier to sell.

Congrats on your first slabs...………….all of them!

Ah, I remember my first submitted slabs.  I rummaged through comic book stores looking for high grade copies and gleefully paid the fees for getting it graded and shipped.

All came back 1 to 2 grades lower than expected.  It was one of the most disappointing moment in my life:cry:.

No more submitting and hoping for 9.8...I just go buy slabbed 9.8 copies instead:acclaim:

I remember first hearing about CGC at SDCC in 2001. I signed up for an account at their booth and received vouchers to submit. 

I didn’t submit anything at the show but knew I wanted to send in my Hulk 180-182.  

I also had no idea how to grade and really just wanted to have the books in a nice display. Granted I could have done this a lot cheaper then sending them off to CGC but it didn’t matter. 

These books were graded in early 2002 and have been hanging on the wall ever since

6426F5C9-10BC-4800-8D26-50403012EC13.jpeg

1 hour ago, cbalroman said:

I remember first hearing about CGC at SDCC in 2001. I signed up for an account at their booth and received vouchers to submit. 

I didn’t submit anything at the show but knew I wanted to send in my Hulk 180-182.  

I also had no idea how to grade and really just wanted to have the books in a nice display. Granted I could have done this a lot cheaper then sending them off to CGC but it didn’t matter. 

These books were graded in early 2002 and have been hanging on the wall ever since

That's a perfect display.  Custom frame I presume?  I wouldn't mind doing something similar and use museum glass so I can actually display my high end comics without having to worry about fading.

21 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

That's a perfect display.  Custom frame I presume?  I wouldn't mind doing something similar and use museum glass so I can actually display my high end comics without having to worry about fading.

Yup.  Got the glass and frame from a Hobby Lobby and I made the area that holds the books. 

3 hours ago, cbalroman said:

Must be some strange mental quirk but having them increasing right to left seems off.  My brain wants them to increase left to right.

56 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Must be some strange mental quirk but having them increasing right to left seems off.  My brain wants them to increase left to right.

I'm more a fan of descending numbers.  

4 hours ago, cbalroman said:

That's a nice frame/display!  Is it UV glass?  There's a window in the reflections, so I assume it gets some indirect sunlight, but the colors still appear very nice