• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About Doc Shaner's Flash Gordon Art

8 posts in this topic

Quick question about Doc Shaner's OA from his Flash Gordon run with Jeff Parker a few years back. I noticed very few pages have popped up anywhere (I think 11 pages out of 8 issues are on CAF). That begs the question where did they come from? Does Shaner only sell them in person at conventions? Does he have a rep? How much do these go for? Why does there seem to be so few out there?

Any info. would be great. Thanks!

For a while (several years ago at this point) he sold some of his art, including Flash Gordon and the DC HB line, through his website (he had a list of available pages and you had to email him). Then he let his website lapse but I just checked and he claims he’s working on setting up a bigcartel store to sell his remaining pages (see the Art Sales section https://www.docshanerart.com/). Doesn't seem like he has an art rep and I don't know about what he had/has available in con appearances. 

@ZimmermanTelegram I missed this thread back in July.  I have a piece of his art from that run.  Evan was supposed to do a commission for me, but unfortunately he's not the most organized guy when it comes to those and we ended up making a deal where he swapped out the page in place of the commission.  He had emailed me a list of pages.  They ranged anywhere from $100 - $190 at the time (January of 2015).

5 hours ago, Doc McCoy said:

@ZimmermanTelegram I missed this thread back in July.  I have a piece of his art from that run.  Evan was supposed to do a commission for me, but unfortunately he's not the most organized guy when it comes to those and we ended up making a deal where he swapped out the page in place of the commission.  He had emailed me a list of pages.  They ranged anywhere from $100 - $190 at the time (January of 2015).

I ended up reaching out to him via email and just like previously mentioned he responded with a spreadsheet of what was available and what had been sold. The prices were the same you mentioned, dirt cheap for an artist of that caliber! I was slightly bummed because by this time all the A+ pages had been snapped up, but I gladly settled for a B quality page. I did have to keep on him a bit in order to get responses at some points in the process (at his urging) and even now 2 weeks ago he was set to ship out and he said he’d email me when it went out and he’d include the shipping info, but it’s not here and I never heard back. He’s a stand up guy though and was an absolute delight to deal with.

Out of curiosity what did you comission him for and what Flash Gordon page did you end up with?

@ZimmermanTelegram  He is very nice and personable, but you will have to stay on him to make sure your page gets sent.  I originally had commissioned a piece that would have had the X-Men's Beast vs Kraven the Hunter, but after doing some further research and learning how bad Evan is with delivering commissions (he just settled up with a commissioner that had been waiting 9 years recently), I proposed the swap for the page.  Here's what I ended up with:

nbr7mKpu_2901151444481.jpg

That's a killer idea for a commission! I saw (I think) a fairly recent commission by him and it was of Flash but it was a bust. I'm of the opinion with a character like that, if you can't show him with a ray gun or a sword (or hopefully both) what's the point?

Good choice on the OA page. I almost bought the page that comes right before it. It took me a long time to decide which one I should go with since his clean lines make even the talking heads pages nice to look at. This is the one I ended up with (this is his scan, not mine). I'll have to follow up with him soon if I don't get in a few more days/weeks.

Flash.jpg

Edited by ZimmermanTelegram