• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What it the Edgar Church Mile High collection waited 40 more years to be found?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

What if it was found today, in 2018, in this current market, rather than in the 1977 marketplace?

What would the approx. total value be of the 20,000 or so books from that trove?

jaw-dropping.gif 

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

oops ,... i meant to type.... googol

A googol is 10 to the 100th power 

OK, thanks, I've got a better idea now, that narrowed it down. Worth considerably more than a bushel, but not quite as much as 1 bushel + 1 peck, as I suspected all along! :whee:

55 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

The owner's daughters urged Chuck to take the comic books and books out of the house immediately before the value of the house would go down. They thought the house was more worth than the comic books.

That's right - the books would have gone to landfill. There's no way they would be there 40 years later. In fact, it's possible that many books were thrown out. Half of the basement was empty, and there are hints in the books that were in the collection Chuck bought that there had been others - including funny animals and other titles.

4 hours ago, mosconi said:

mile-high.jpg

I believe it would be worth a bit more than the $2,000 that poor old Chuck had to scrounge around and borrow in order to purchase the collection.  :takeit:

The old lady must have thought she had found a live one in young senseless Chuck since somebody was actually willing to pay full cover price (20,000 times $0.10) for some old used books. :screwy:  :whee:  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I believe it would be worth a bit more than the $2,000 that poor old Chuck had to scrounge around and borrow in order to purchase the collection.  :takeit:

The old lady must have thought she had found a live one in young senseless Chuck since somebody was actually willing to pay full cover price (20,000 times $0.10) for some old used books. :screwy:  :whee:  doh!

Has anybody at any time in the last, say, 10 years, sat down with an inventory list and ran an estimate on what the approx. market value would be at the time of that factoring?

First Edition of Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide was published in 1970. Chuck bought the Pedigree collection in 1977. That guide was still unknown until 1985.  Batman #1 was sold in 1975 for only few thousand dollars. There were nearly no TV news or newspapers to mention about the rarity of super high grade comic book collection that was found.

Edited by JollyComics