• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What it the Edgar Church Mile High collection waited 40 more years to be found?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

v1.bTsxMTE3MTk1MztqOzE3ODE0OzEyMDA7ODQwO If I can find my name in the phone book, I'll be happy ;) 

No need to look for a special purpose.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/19/2018 at 6:17 PM, Robot Man said:

By the way, I prefer not to call someone "dumb" who does this. I think "lazy" is a better word. 

We've gone the extreme now though.  I went to a Flea Market a few months back, and they had some Bronze Age stuff, nothing spectacular.  I picked up a Thor 232 for $5, and a Daredevil 151 was unmarked.  I asked the lady----old enough to be everybody's Great Grandma, if the DD was $5 as well.   Well she whips out her cell phone and jumps on ebay and searches for Daredevil 151.   She said 'ok, just wanted to make sure it wasn't big money'.   I was both amazed and confused.  She took my $10 and I haven't seen her there since.   

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:
9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

v1.bTsxMTE3MTk1MztqOzE3ODE0OzEyMDA7ODQwO If I can find my name in the phone book, I'll be happy ;) 

No need to look for a special purpose.

That's kind of what I meant, sometimes it's like a kick in the

chestnut_oak_acorns.jpg

9 hours ago, mosconi said:

Here's another photo I found.  Appears to have been taken at the same time:

large_chuck2[1]

Chuck is just a knucklehead that fell in a pile of sh-t and came out smelling like a rose. Without this find he would not be the juggernaut he has become.

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Chuck is just a knucklehead that fell in a pile of sh-t and came out smelling like a rose. Without this find he would not be the juggernaut he has become.

Simple, yet profound!

12 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Meh, that's easy to say, but you gotta respect that he saw an opportunity, raised the funds required, and went all in. And keep in mind the at the time, everyone probably thought he was a maniac for spending that much money on comic books.

18 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

We've gone the extreme now though.  I went to a Flea Market a few months back, and they had some Bronze Age stuff, nothing spectacular.  I picked up a Thor 232 for $5, and a Daredevil 151 was unmarked.  I asked the lady----old enough to be everybody's Great Grandma, if the DD was $5 as well.   Well she whips out her cell phone and jumps on ebay and searches for Daredevil 151.   She said 'ok, just wanted to make sure it wasn't big money'.   I was both amazed and confused.  She took my $10 and I haven't seen her there since.   

Similarly a local guy was selling a collection he inherited, there was some decent Bronze age stuff, not much silver, and he wouldn't give me a price for the whole lot. So I dug through and picked out 30 or so comics I wanted. He then expects me to sit around and wait while he looks them all up on ebay to come up with a price. I try to tell him he needs to look at 'sold listings' but he isn't listening to me and is showing me listings that are priced way too high, so I keep passing on them. Finally I say 'look sorry man I'm just not looking to spend that much I was hoping these would be a couple dollars each."  He then looks through my stack and without rhyme or reason (he knows nothing about comics) pulls out 10 or so comics and says those are two bucks each. One of those comics was Amazing Spider-man Annual 2, the rest were just random bronze age stuff. 

Oh! I also had another guy who was selling his comics 2/$5.  Well in the stack I find Silver Surfer 14,15,16 in prestine condition. There were a couple other 15 cent marvels as well I can't remember right now. Naturally I pull those out along with a bunch of newer Deadpools that weren't anything special. The guy looks through my stack and says "Deadpools hot right now, these are five bucks each".  So I put the Deadpools back and pay 2/$5 for all the 15 cent Marvels. lol. 

1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Similarly a local guy was selling a collection he inherited, there was some decent Bronze age stuff, not much silver, and he wouldn't give me a price for the whole lot. So I dug through and picked out 30 or so comics I wanted. He then expects me to sit around and wait while he looks them all up on ebay to come up with a price. I try to tell him he needs to look at 'sold listings' but he isn't listening to me and is showing me listings that are priced way too high, so I keep passing on them. Finally I say 'look sorry man I'm just not looking to spend that much I was hoping these would be a couple dollars each."  He then looks through my stack and without rhyme or reason (he knows nothing about comics) pulls out 10 or so comics and says those are two bucks each. One of those comics was Amazing Spider-man Annual 2, the rest were just random bronze age stuff. 

Oh! I also had another guy who was selling his comics 2/$5.  Well in the stack I find Silver Surfer 14,15,16 in prestine condition. There were a couple other 15 cent marvels as well I can't remember right now. Naturally I pull those out along with a bunch of newer Deadpools that weren't anything special. The guy looks through my stack and says "Deadpools hot right now, these are five bucks each".  So I put the Deadpools back and pay 2/$5 for all the 15 cent Marvels. lol. 

Yeah, it works both ways I guess. When a seller pulls the ebay thing on a pile of comics, I wait for a couple of prices. Once I realize what he is doing, I just put them down, say thank you very much and move on to the next opportunity. I don't want to waste my time or his to "educate" him. He won't believe you anyway. While I spend wasted time with him, I might be missing that "lazy" seller over in the next row...

On 7/23/2018 at 9:16 PM, oakman29 said:

To be fair Dave, chuck was indeed lucky, but he’s managed to stay in business a long long time and he sells a lot of books.  I don’t like his business model but he’s still here and still selling comics.  I can also appreciate that he does love comics and wants to own everything and as many copies as possible.  

He also wasn’t lucky when he bought the mile high 2 collection.  He bought it when nobody else would and ultimately it was a brilliant purchase

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

To be fair Dave, chuck was indeed lucky, but he’s managed to stay in business a long long time and he sells a lot of books.  I don’t like his business model but he’s still here and still selling comics.  I can also appreciate that he does love comics and wants to own everything and as many copies as possible.  

He also wasn’t lucky when he bought the mile high 2 collection.  He bought it when nobody else would and ultimately it was a brilliant purchase

Not only that, he took the call and went out to see the collection when nobody else would. 

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Not only that, he took the call and went out to see the collection when nobody else would. 

I wonder if anyone else is still around in the hobby that passed up the calls from the church or mile high 2 collection finds?  boy, if that were me I'd feel like the biggest insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I wonder what their reason for passing on it was. 

now with new finds so scarce I'd imagine the hint of such a find reoccurring would have every dealer and collector within a 500 mile radius scrambling for the chance.

On 7/23/2018 at 4:18 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Problem is, there are far too many hoards of pristine comics from 1983. 

WTTB !

Wonder Woman #300
Detective Comics #526 - Jason Todd makes his debut as the second Robin
Ronin #1
New Mutants #1
The Thing #1
Alpha Flight #1
Nexus #1
Detective Comics #523 - 1st Killer Croc
Batman #357 - 1st Jason Todd
Uncanny X-Men #169 - 1st Morlocks

Not so expensive books - you can hoard them as much as you can afford.

2 hours ago, justafan said:

I wonder if anyone else is still around in the hobby that passed up the calls from the church or mile high 2 collection finds?  boy, if that were me I'd feel like the biggest insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I wonder what their reason for passing on it was. 

now with new finds so scarce I'd imagine the hint of such a find reoccurring would have every dealer and collector within a 500 mile radius scrambling for the chance.

I can see a situation where the people trying to get the books taken away were not communicating effectively. I see it all the time-- some folks just struggle describing what is going on and if you do not ask the right questions or decipher what they are saying, you can miss out on what is actually going on. Now whether the phone call Chuck experienced was different in some way or if he asked the right questions or possibly he was just desperate enough to be willing to "clear out a basement of trash for some cash" (perhaps how they were describing it) then stumbled upon the find-- we'll never know exactly.

However he got there-- good on him for taking the ball and running with it. I have read his accounts of the find and doubt it is 100% accurate -- as he seems to make himself out to be a real honest person telling the people the books have value etc after they were under the impression it was garbage. He mentioned saving art etc that had already been tossed in the trash in the alley way. Basically the story reads as him being a hero-- and who doesn't tell their own story that way. But it is also a little bit on the embellishment side too.

And to be clear-- I am not saying he wasn't being honest in his account-- just that it reads a little too story book, covering all the bases to avoid any scrutiny by others in the hobby. Bottom line-- incredible find and a story that all collectors enjoy.