• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So this "Kane" Batman piece on Ebay....

7 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/132696350878?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

I stared at it for a while. It seems kind of legit, buuuuut a 0 feedback seller...I just...I DON'T KNOW, OK? I couldn't bring myself to bid because I already have the nice "Batman and Me" sketch that I know is legit. I'm curious what others think here. Obviously some bidders thought enough of this to push it to a G+, but the whole thing just seemed too good to be true. 

Should I start an authenticity opinion poll? 

p.s. Got a little toasty tonight, and I'm glad(or maybe not) that this ended before I got home. 

Also, here's another added nuance to this one that I noticed; the personalization appears to be done with a different pen than the purported sketch/auto. It almost adds authenticity to me as I could see the sketch being done beforehand, and then when it was sold the "To Jean, best always" was added. 

I probably stared at this thing for way too long. I was excited. I make no apologies. 

I would have inquired with the seller, asked as many questions as possible to authenticate it (and him).

I bought an authentic Bob Kane on ebay a while ago, so they do exist.  And the seller was not an art collector, just an acquaintance of his family (wife).  He drew art for anybody, because he was so proud of his creation. 

IMO the Hard Cover one's are fine, worst case they were done under Bob's supervision in a studio , based on templates he provided ghost artist(s).  Best case, he drew them all (unlikely).  But - they are authentic "Bob Kane" art. 

Lets put it this way, Bob decided he wanted to do gallery art. Not comic art, but "fine" art. He got a deal with a gallery, and then used ghost artists to paint his gallery work. So basically Jeff Koons, Takashi Murakami, and Damian Hurst, before they'd had the idea. The stuff from his studio was real, as in he really hired someone to else to do it. He may or may not have signed the work after the fact.

As for the piece the OP posted, I wouldn't take anything at face value. 2 different pens? Forgers do things like that all the time, for the exact same reason you give it extra consideration. Makes it seem legit. I on the otherhand know marker fades faster than anything, so why if (as the ghost matting/frame would suggest) didn't the marker fade more in the area that got sun, and not in the area blocked by the frame/matting? And why is the area up top where it was torn from a spiral pad faded, and the "mat" area not? Did it extend past the frame somehow? Seems so unlikely. Me personaly, I'd steer clear of "Kane" anyway, but definitely pieces like this, unless I can get some tangible answers. As someone said above, ask a LOT of questions.

Definitely steer clear of any 'Kane' sketches.  Wishful thinking on the part of most would-be-buyers, trying to convince themselves these things are legit . . . but try re-selling at a later date and it's highly likely that you'll really struggle to recoup your losses outlay.

Edited by The Voord