• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If there was a Mt. Rushmore for the comic hobby..
1 1

59 posts in this topic

Hobby? As in collectors? Or for the comic books as an artform? Carl Barks has to be in there, I think Robert Crumb should be on there, but all the ones I think should be on there most people wouldn't. Probably all superhero people since for some reason that's what comic books only are to most people. For Comics period, Charles Schulz, Windsor McKay, George Herriman, D-i-c-k Calkins (that gets censored, really?), Alex Raymond, there's just too many.

Edited by catman76
stupid censorship of a guys name

Weird way to pose the initial question?

the actual hobby? 

The first person to do bags and boards.

the first person to open a actual comic book shop

whoever invented CGC

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

Don and Maggie, Phil, Shel, and Bob.

That's the idea more along the general lines of which I was thinking. Anybody in the comic book industry that contributed most to the thriving popularity of the entire comic hobby. On that monument of the top 4 could be industry people like Bob Overstreet or Steve Geppi, artists and creators, etc., which is why I chose to state "the hobby", meaning all phases and arenas of anything to do with the entire comic hobby.

If you mean a Mt. Rushmore for the founding fathers of comic collecting you would need Chuck Rozanski's face up there, right? Would the name Edgar Church even be known otherwise? The Mile High collection is like ground zero for comic collecting and (I think) the source of some of the most valuable comics known.

mhc-teen.jpg

3 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

If you mean a Mt. Rushmore for the founding fathers of comic collecting you would need Chuck Rozanski's face up there, right? Would the name Edgar Church even be known otherwise? The Mile High collection is like ground zero for comic collecting and (I think) the source of some of the most valuable comics known.

mhc-teen.jpg

ICYMI, he's sort of going a new direction on why he quit SDCC, at least according to his newsletter from yesterday.  Now he's saying its the work and the stress, not the money. One day he'll get his story straight.