• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If there was a Mt. Rushmore for the comic hobby..
1 1

59 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Image result for mt rushmore funny

Interesting change of image.

You’d suspect the presidency to be a closed shop, recruiting from within, and as a Brit it’s interesting to see what they’d look like, somewhat more disinhibited than usual, while attending a Masonic gathering.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Four people who made significant contributions to the advancement of the hobby (not the art form)?  My vote would be (in no particular order):

• Steve Borock
  • Ernst Gerber (author of the Photo Journals; as Dr. Lecter observed, "We begin by coveting what we see")
  • Robert Overstreet
  • William Sarill (the father of comic book restoration, for you young'uns out there)

13 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

I would go with Stan Lee, Jerry Siegel, Bill Gaines and Jack Kirby. 

Lee and Gaines were my first thoughts. After that, a little stumped. Siegel is a logical choice but you can't leave out Shuster... Maybe Bob Kane but he was kind of a tool. Kirby is good although I'm more of a Carl Barks fan.

Tough choices...

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Maybe Bob Kane but he was kind of a tool

Shouldn’t be included.

Swipe artist who got lucky with having a more talented collaborator; Bill Finger, later Jerry Robinson.

Edited by Ken Aldred

30 minutes ago, shadroch said:

At least he drew.

Not well enough for a place on Mount Olympus, or Rushmore, nor for the final look for Batman, which was Finger’s design.

16 hours ago, revat said:

Weird way to pose the initial question?

the actual hobby? 

The first person to do bags and boards.

the first person to open a actual comic book shop

whoever invented CGC

F me. Bags and boards. ? 

I picked Kirby and Swan for being prolific main face artists for the 2 major comic companies thru the GA SA BA and CA, then Lee and O Neil as the most influential writers of those companies.